Forum Rules And Admin Announcements

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthAttorney, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Greetings and welcome to the Star Wars Saga forum. This thread serves as both a place to view the rules for the forum (adapted from The Senate) as well as a place to discuss various improvements to the forum.

Enjoy! :)

The Saga Forum.

Welcome to The Saga Forum!

You may be asking yourself what this forum is all about. Well, that's what this thread is for, to answer your questions regarding this forum, and to lay down some specific guidelines and rules.

First off, how does this forum differ from Miscellaneous?

This is to be a Saga discussion forum, not an anything goes forum. This forum is designed specifically to for in-depth discussions that encompass the entire Star Wars saga, which were often drowned out in the Miscellaneous forum. We felt it best to offer a place where serious Saga discussions could prosper.

What kind of discussions are allowed?

Ah, the million dollar question. Basically, This forum is designed for inter-Trilogy discussion. For topics that cross the boundary between Original Trilogy, and Prequel Trilogy. Discussions that are confined to one of the Prequels should be located in the relevant forum, either the Classic Trilogy forum, or TPM or AotC Forums.

What about Episode 3 spoilers?

In order to make the Saga forum available to as many members as possible, there is a strict NO SPOILER rule. No threads or posts that include spoilers will be allowed. Including spoilers will result in a very harsh punishment. Basic, accepted principles of Ep3 are allowed, such as knowing the Anakin becomes Darth Vader, that he is seduced to the Dark Side. However, no specifics that may arise in spoilers. Ep3 discussion can only take place as a part of the larger cross-Trilogy discussion. Five out of Six episodes is enough to foster legitimate Saga discussion.

What about the Expanded Universe?

As with the other Movie Forums, the use of EU is restricted. It can be presented as a possibility. One option out of many. It is not to be presented as an absolute, or fact that cannot be argued against. When presenting an EU argument, it is considered good manners to point out that you are putting forth an EU commentary.

Additionally, there will be no debates about whether the EU is canon. These "Canon Wars" will not be tolerated in the slightest.

Are any of the rules different?

The rules aren't different to the other movie forums. As this is a new forum, and its success depends on a mature environment, it is critical that the rules be followed and observed at all times. The forum will be run strictly until it finds its feet, and then will be run in a more relaxed manner.
    As with the other Movie Forums, the use of EU is restricted. It can be presented as a possibility. One option out of many. It is not to be presented as an absolute, or fact that cannot be argued against. When presenting an EU argument, it is considered good manners to point out that you are putting forth an EU commentary.

It is imperative that the rules be followed for this forum to achieve its purpose, thus and infractions will be dealt with swiftly and sternly. If you're not sure if what you're about to post will be OK, do NOT post it. Don't risk it. Flaming, trolling, antagonizing, being abusive, threatening, or being problematic will not be tolerated in the slightest.
    One final note: This board is here for your enjoyment, but if you are going to participate, it is critical that you observe the rules and spirit of the forum. All administrative decisions regarding whether or not a post is inappropriate in nature or in tone are left to the moderators' discretion. If any moderator deems a post offensive, antagonis
  2. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well done DA.

I'll start thinking up a worthwhile discussion in a moment.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Very nicely put. I for one am glad that the rules have been so well-defined from the start. :)
  4. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]Great! :D[/color]
  5. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I am honored to be invited to this forum, Darth Attorney.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Chosen One

star 6
  7. dArTh_wenley Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Thankyou very much for this DA!It sounds great! :D
  8. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

This place really has the potential to be very, very interesting. I look forward to seeing it live up to it.

AYBABTU?

9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Thank you for helping make this forum a reality, DA (and the same goes out to the members who campaigned for it) :).
  10. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
  11. Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus

star 4
    Great stuff DA. :) So who's gonna christen this forum with corellian whiskey? [face_mischief]
  12. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Might I also point out the incredibly handsome man that named the forum, and wrote the rules ;)

What a stud.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Thanks for the invite! I have posted in one thread already and will continue to check out the new place. Looks good so far!

14. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Question: how is this forum going to work? Will it always be exclusive membership for posters that DON'T post "+1" or " [face_plain] "?

Will posters need to actually contribute decent discussion to join?
  15. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My guess is that it'll be opened up for all members, and then treated as a normal movie forum.

Provided the forum is run somewhat strictly when it is opened, then people will know off the bat that that stuff wont fly.

This forum is only private temporarily. It wont stay like this. But this way, when its opened up, members will all see the sort of discussion that the forum is meant for.
  16. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I think it would be better to keep this private and invite members on the basis of the quality of their posts: that would then encourage decent discussion for the JC populous.

It means that newbies can start out in the general forums and JCC members can't be awarded based on useless threads and postings.

17. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Heh, no Tern.

This isnt supposed to be an elite board. Its a place for everyone to come and talk, regardless of our own thoughts of how smart they are.

If members come in and act like children, DA will boot them on their butts.
  18. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Not quite what I meant, Dagsy.

However, it was just a thought.
  19. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Looks like a nice place, and I am honored to be among one of the first chosen to post in this forum.
  20. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You guys all deserve to be here.
    You know your Star Wars backwards and are creative enough to think of interesting topics in a variety of ways.

That's why you're here, to get this forum started on the right foot. Most of you have been at the JC for quite a while, on average longer than I have. You're generally over 24ys of age and proven somewhere along the line that you can make an insighftul, intelligent post about Star Wars (some of you have done it a few times ;) )

In reagrds to keeping the board private, I really don't see that happening. I admit that it would be an interesting experiment to play around and see what would happen if we did keep it invite-only but it was only ever designed to be private to get it flowing properly.

I think we'll see that, when it goes public later in the week, most people will catch on pretty quickly after they read the type of stuff already in here. The rules are quite strict and any jackass who tries to derail a thread will gone before you know it. There will be quite a few mods in here, giving it fairly even coverage.

I'm quite impressed that everyone has decided to take up the offer so far! :D

Has eveyone read the rules up there?
    Can anyone think of anything Dags and I missed that might need to be looked at? ?[face_plain]

21. Katriel Jedi Master

star 4
    I've just wandered in but so far I like it. :) Thanks for the invite.
  22. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very nice. :)

EDIT: It would be a good idea to turn off polls.
  23. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm planning to disable polls before we go public. Every now and then you get someone who goes on a polls bender and it's never pretty.

But you guys a free to start a few if you want.
    Just don't go crazy ;)
  24. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Looks good! Nicely defined rules right off the start.
  25. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks DA. I'm glad you defined the rules so early on; it will definitely guide us in ensuring the quality of the posts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.