main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forums screwed up?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darthbarracuda, Feb 15, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I've been using Google Chrome for a long time now and it's worked perfectly, until now.

The pages on this forum are completely screwed up in Chrome, but not IE. Instead of having all the text in a nice box and it's all pretty, it's just all jumbled together and is completely different from what it used to be. Tried it in IE and it was back to normal.

Any help with this? Is it Chrome or is there some sort of option I can turn on?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    II haven't used Chrome, but they are fine in Firefox. Have you recently updated to a new version of Chrome by any chance?

Grimby - you seeing any issues in Chrome?

Edit - if you haven't done it already, try clearing your temp files in Chrome to see if that helps. If it doesn't, can you let us know what version you are running and what Operating System (Windows, etc) you are using?

3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Whoa it's suddenly working again and I haven't done anything! But anyways I'm using Windows 8. Thanks

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Chrome on OS X, Windows 7, iOS, Android, and Ubuntu (Chromium) have always done fine with the boards for me.

Oh...Windows 8. That explains things. :p I've heard bad things in general about W8's Chrome.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's also possible that Grimby was tinkering with something.

6. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    This is a different issue entirely so I apologise in advance if I should have created a new thread. Over the last couple of days I've been noticing a lot of lag with the forums. I don't think it's my browser or internet connection because all other sites are working normally. Is this just my problem or have others experienced this as well.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I've had some. Not a lot, but some.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Nope. Definitely not a site-related issue.

This could be for any number of the following reasons:
    • An overabundance of users online (any significant news on the new films these days seems to cause a spike in site traffic)
    • You happen to be online when background server processes are running, like database backup or forum maintenance jobs
    • You are trying to post a very long message
    • You are trying to view or post in a thread that many other users are also viewing/posting to
    • You are logging in through facebook and facebook's server is lagging

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm having problems also. When I go to edit a post I now see all the coding. And sometimes when I go to the site it looks like when you boot up a computer in the safe mode. I refresh the page and it looks normal again.
    And usually if I hover the curser over ALERT or INBOX it will show the most recent alerts or messages. Now I have to click onto those words to see any alerts.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What browser/version and operating system are you using? I haven't had any issues in Firefox v 13.0.1 /Win 7. (Yeah, old Firefox version but it works.)

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am using a Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Safari. It was doing those weird things for about 3 hours but it is acting normal now. Maybe there were a lot of users online or one of the other reasons mentioned above.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That could be. I've also noticed that the boards act a bit flaky if my net connection is slow.

13. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i have noticed that the boards look like a jankie college freshman project now. is there any chance that with the upcoming starwars films that the boards will look good again?

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I am using Chrome in Vista (sad face) and it is all fine. Probably something with Windows 8.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I just opened the boards on 8 using Chrome, IE, and Firefox. All 3 look normal. Maybe they are using a dropped mobile phone or are posting via modified Speak&Spell...

V-2 likes this.
  16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I don't THInk I'm having any p[face_flag]r [face_flag]o [face_flag] blems here...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We usually wait until 7 years after the last trilogy to make a major change to the look of the boards. So if the ST proves to be worthwhile, we'll definitely upgrade to "janky graduate student project".

18. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005