main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Forward the Republic, Forward the Empire (Order 66 short story, OCs)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by His_Tallness, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His_Tallness

His_Tallness Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    Okay, this is my first story here. Before I start, I'd just like to thank Grand Admiral V for showing me the ropes, and helping me whip this story into shape. That said, on with the show...

Forward the Republic, Forward the Empire

Piper was not a happy man. Oh, CC-1215 was often not happy. Piper served as commander of the several legions of clone troopers making up the 78th Corps. He was a participant in the largest conflagration of violence the galaxy had seen in living memory (save perhaps that of the incredibly ancient Jedi Master Yoda, and that was iffy). As such, Piper was constantly beset by problems relating to the day-to-day logistics of command or to the field of battle.

But a recent event had made him even more unhappy. Unhappier than his first debarkation from a gunship under fire nearly three years ago on Geonosis. Unhappier than training exercises under that cold, unfeeling, ranat-bastard of a Krayt Dragon that walks like a Mon Cal, Admiral Baraka. Unhappier than that mess on Shillowaulk III. Unhappier than being in the midst of battle with his own men dying around him. Unhappier than anything Piper could remember in his short, often unpleasant, and terror-filled life.

Commander Piper had just spoken over the HoloNet with his supreme commander. Well, he'd been spoken at, in any case. Piper had just been ordered to follow the very worst of the Grand Army's contingency plans. The one order that most clones hated even thinking about, and could never even imagine having the dire need to follow.

Order 66. Neutralize any Jedi. Lethally, and with extreme prejudice.

Piper wasn't just unhappy with the ramifications of any event that would make such a worst-case scenario into reality. Nor was it the danger inherent in following such an order, which was considerable. Piper had seen many Jedi in action and was fully aware of their sheer deadly capacity in combat. Especially with the Jedi as given to fits of prescience as they were.

There were many of the Jedi Order whom Piper would gun down without regret. He'd found many to be unfeeling creatures who divorced themselves from lesser beings and would order Piper and his fellow clone troopers into the grinder without a shred of remorse. He knew full well that all military commanders had to order men to their deaths at some point. Piper himself had done so on occasion. It wouldn't be nearly as bad, but for the fact that some of the Jedi were so lousy at it, having been appointed to command merely because they of their status within their own order. No, Piper wouldn?t mind hastening certain Jedi to oneness with the Force posthaste. But Piper wasn't in a position to do so with any of these incompetents. He was in a position to execute only Jedi Master Nawm Rombawn -- the one being Commander Piper admired most in all the galaxy.

Master Rombawn genuinely cared about the men under his command. He insisted that they were men, and not so-called ?wet droids.? Rombawn was outraged at what he considered slavery, and asked only those who were willing to follow him. The clone troops were born willing and conditioned to acceptance of their lot in life, but it was the thought that counted. But such considerations didn't leave him self-righteous, as many beings would be in his position. The clones knew it was their duty to fight for the Republic; their honor to die on its behalf. And Nawm Rombawn accepted this grave commitment, and didn't insist that the poor clones didn't know what they really wanted, or were incapable of knowing any better. He honored their commitment even as he held contempt for those cowards and politicians who threw the clone legions in front of the Separatist war machine to shield themselves.

Rombawn was a scholar who knew a great deal about the universe around him and freely shared such knowledge with the men under his command. He paid attention to their own thoughts and encouraged independence in his men. Hell, a tour under the Ithorian?s watchful eyes was considered second only to the program that Alpha ran b

2. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    This was a wonderful twist on the whole Order 66 concept. I've read many of the stories written for the Order 66 challenge, but I don't recall any that had the Jedi choosing death on his own terms instead of receiving it at the hands of one of the clones.

No, Piper wouldn't mind hastening certain Jedi to oneness with the Force posthaste.

I've always loved that line! :)

In short, the troopers under the Ithorian Jedi Master's command would follow him into the heart of a sun and expect to come out not more than slightly singed.

Another wonderful line.

Also, you get the feeling of a real personality from Piper, that he really is more than just another number, or a "wet droid." (Another adroit turn of phrase!) You empathize with him, and feel genuinely relieved that he was able to assist the Jedi Master in making the best of a horrible situation.

Well done -- I look forward to more of your work! =D=

3. His_Tallness

His_Tallness Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005

Can't take credit for that one. The term 'wet droid' as applied to clonetroopers came out of the novel Republic Commando: Hard Contact by Karen Traviss. It is a neat little label that says a lot about those who'd think of clones in such a manner.

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Ah, very good. A clone who didn't disobey Order 66, but "creatively reinterpreted" it and did more damage while feeling better about it at the same time. Good job! :)

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent fic. I really enjoyed Piper's very realistic look at things in terms of the Jedi and the Order to terminate them all. Bravo!

6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I liked this.
    Especially the end touched me.

"Dismissed." The officer called out as the clone reached the doorway, "I forgot. You mentioned a few last words..."

"Yes, sir. 'Forward the Republic!? Sir."

"Hmm...I see. But soldier..."

"Sir."

"It's 'Forward the Empire!? now. That diseased institution has been remade."

"As you say, sir."

*goes all teary-eyed*
    :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.