main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fostering Growth

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Slan, all.

I just wanted to start up a discussion on how we can foster growth of FanForce, both within our chapters, and outside, in the larger region as a whole. recruitment sounds like such a... militarist term, but basically that's what we're looking at.

What ways can we think of to help proto-chapters of the club develop and stay active, maintaining their activity past the establishment of their official chapter status, and how can we increase our own membership and keep our own chapters moving along in the lull between films, (and the much more unnerving lull after the hub-bub from Episode III dies down)?

Any thoughts?

*Derisa*

2. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    We need to show the people how much fun FanForce can be, and how fun the people are in each chapter are :)

I would really like to see Calgary get there chapter going. They have a really great city, and I know there are lots of StarWars fans from the 501st events I've been to down there.

3. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I started the "roll call" thread here, encouraging people to say where they are from, and TIEPilot1999 started one for Vancouver as well, to distinguish who actually lives in the Fraser Valley but is playing with Tipoca City. Hopefully that will eventually be a small way to help people find one another.

If we keep our eyes open as we socialize here, and notice several people living in the same area that don't already have a chapter in their area, then maybe we could get Mike to start a sticky thread in this forum just for them, and then PM them a link directly to that thread. It's like introducing two of your friends at a party to one another because they have a lot in common and you think they might really hit it off.

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Time will tell what will happen to our FanForce chapters here in Canada and around the world when the dust settles after EPIII is released. Will the chapters melt into super regions that encompass several chapters who knows. What I do know is that there are several very strong chapters in Canada that will go on.

Why dont you come up with a catchy name and I will create a sticky social thread.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    We should also be actively courting the older, established clubs, the ones who have had the ongoing fan support in the long lull between the OT and the release of the PT, like the Winnipeg Star Wars Guild. Closer ties w3ith Rebel Legion and the 501st are a good idea, too.

I think Fan Force could really benefit from the input of these established groups as to how to keep interest focused and the club itself strong. It's not like the films are the only part of the franchise, when there are TV shows like Clone Wars, and tonnes of books and RPGs out there, to say nothing of the huge video game library...

*Derisa*

6. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I also think it is important to steer FanForces away from Star Wars itself. I know that sounds contradictory, but let's face it, Star Wars is nothing but a hobby for most of us, and our lives require more than just Star Wars to fill it.

I know that Star Wars is huge in all our minds right now, because we have a new movie to look forward to next year, as well as CIII and a host of other things. But after EPIII comes out there is going to be a pretty big void that will need filling if Star Wars movies are the main reason your group gets together. Not everybody is interested in the books, or the games, or the multitude of other things that are out there.

By focusing more on the friendships that FanForce helps to create through the medium of Star Wars instead of on the actual franchise itself, we can build lasting institutions because we won't be relying on Star Wars to keep it strong. It will have a foundation of friendship and comradarie, while Star Wars will only be one tower in the castle. Probably the central one, with the nicest flags and a big balcony, but only a singular tower among many in the end.

Friendship has to be the foundation in order for a FanForce to survive. :)

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    That was beautiful man :_|

Seriously, though. Well said :)

8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Excellent points, Indy. However, in a club that is struggling to get moving, the fandom is the first motivator. You advertise your fandom, people show up, and you get to know each other. Once the furor dies down you have the bonds of that friendship and those shared activities, movies, game nights, camping trips, whatever, to hold you together as a group of friends.

So how do you advertise your group? How do you attract the fans?

*Derisa*

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    We have had a few ideas on how to get some new fans:

- go to your local libraries and tuck small flyers in all the Star Wars books (you could even hit a general array of SF books) or you could even go to local bookstores and do the same (just make sure you get permission). Doesn't even have to be the new stores, go to the used bookstores as well.

- advertisments on your local shopping center/grocery store/university/college bulliten board would help as well

- attend conventions for other sci-fi genres; chances are you will run into a few Star Wars fans there

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Great suggestions.

I'm also all for individuals keeping an eye on those lesser used forums for folks posting into the vaccuum. I PMed four people today who had posted in the BCGeneral forum, about an Okanagan chapter: they easily have enough fans who have found their way to the JC, but many people post once or twice here in FF and then disappear again, which kinda chews. :(

Anywho, I've Pmed those four, if even one gets the message, perhaps they can follow some of the suggestions we've already posted to find the others in their area and get a chapter coming together and getting to know each other, to build that friendshiop we have all benefited from. :)

We in the Base have already noticed how much more active our forum has become now that our recruitment efforts are payiong off, and more fans are finding us. I always knew there were more than twenty SW fans in Victoria... :D

*Derisa*

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    It is never easy to bring a group of people together and have everyone on the same page for very long. The important thing is to be honest and up front with people, to show them that you are interested in what they have to say. Their opinion is valued and in return they will value what you have to say. You are a great group of people and I hope to meet you all at C3.
    To me FF is about meeting people and making friends and not about political gradification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.