main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit FOTJ Apocalypse: So who really is the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Corran Horn's Beard, May 19, 2013.

1. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    How do you know? All we see is him fighting the Daughter. That proves nothing. Good-aligned people can still fight each other- look at Kenth and Saba.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    The whole "palpatine feeding on souls of the galaxy for eternity" is just stupid to be honest, and i doubt Lucas had anything even slightly related in mind when portraying Palpatine in the films.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but personally, I'd prefer to ignore those more ridiculous aspects of the EU. (I'm aware of the irony that i find the Yuuzhan Vong invasion acceptable but not that, probably because the Vong weren't portrayed as something more sensible in prior films)

3. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    You should probably avoid anything with The Old Republic attached to it.

4. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Too late. But I don't mind the whole Vitiate thing as much, probably because it's set in a completely different Era and doesn't involve film characters.

5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    [face_waiting]

You don't mind Vitiate being a pale imitation of the esteemed gentleman whose countenance serves as my avatar, from fashion to motivation? It does not sear your nerves to know that the character is nothing other than a gratuitous attempt by lazy, talentless hacks to undermine an infinitely more iconic and important story in order to soothe the wounded pride that torments every second of their very existence? It does not arouse your ire to see such things flagrantly and shamelessly displayed and profited from?

It should make your very soul weep.

:p

Arawn_Fenn and Ulicus like this.
  6. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    If I paid any money for it then maybe I would be annoyed. But my expectations in Star Wars EU have been falling so consistently that nothing really disappoints me now, even if Jar-Jar Binks were to be revealed as the true mastermind behind the One Sith and Krayt's real master.

darth fluffy likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So sure, are you? I think a certain pointy-toothed Grand Moff would disagree...

I'm actually glad this post got started, because this was a point I was going to make in the GODV thread but completely forgot. When I first read GODV after Phantom Menace came out, this really jumped out at me. In GODV we have what are essentially Sith prophets interpreting who a supposed "chosen one" is - and what is more, the identity of that "new" chosen one seems to be tied to whoever is the heir to a piece of the original Chosen One.

Obviously this is just a random coincidence but I really, really want there to be some official retcon establishing that the Prophets were making their own interpretation of the Chosen One prophecy. Especially given the later EU's concept of the Sith'ari* and how basically every Dark Lord considers him/herself to be it, I think it would dovetail absolutely perfectly.

*And speaking of which, I absolutely think it should be established that the Sith'ari and the Chosen One are just two different views of the same prophecy. As much as I thought the Chosen One was a dumb concept, I thought having a clear derivative in KOTOR was even more bleh, and making it be Bane was even worse. Tying it into the Chosen One is the only way to make the best out of a bad hand, IMO.

instantdeath likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    See Trip's post: the "safe oppressive Empire" was not the Emperor's end game. It was the transitional period between the Old Republic and "THE DARK EMPIRE OF GOD-SOVEREIGN PALPATINE THE FIRST AND EVERAFTER, SUPREME MASTER OF THE FORCE, OWNER AND DEVOURER OF YOUR SOUL!"

So, yeah. :p

Who knows? You're entitled to your opinion on the canon, but remember that this is Lit, so we don't debate the canon. It is what it is.

Until Episode VII comes along, anyway. ;)

9. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I know, but even things in canon don't work well together. In my mind the films are first and foremost, the good books secondary, the crap books and most comics i like to ignore.

That's Fat-Canon.

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah to be fair i can't really fault people for ignoring stuff they think is dumb, i mean i ignore like everything that has been published since like 2006 basically

(tho ur missing out dark empire is pretty rad)

11. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Really? It sounds a bit cartoony for me

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Sorry for being unclear:

Please, don't debate canon.

See the forum rules.

You are entitled to your "Fat-Canon", but it has no place in these discussions.

13. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    really? I didn't realise it constituted "debating canon"

consider me awared

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    well the comics definitely are, don't get me wrong, they're kinda an embarrassing mess for the most part. (excepting issue #1 which is straight amazing if you gloss over the dialog but it kinda gets way worse after that). but like the lore and whatnot that's grown up around it (most of it being in the old RPG sourcebook from west end games) is really great and adds a lot of depth imo. plus it actually gels really well with the prequels. it's one of those things that like, the actual execution (insofar as the comics go) is pretty dire but the idea of it all would be absolutely amazing in the right hands. i wish the eu paid more attention to it really.

but yeah trust me i know how you feel dude, it's definitely one of those things that seems totally ridiculous hearing about only secondhand. it took me years to come around to the idea myself but i'm glad i did, its made my experience of the saga richer for it

Ulicus and FatSmel like this.
  15. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    What was a transitional period? And who's souls did he devour? He was pretty much a really big jerk who took away civil liberties but the Empire was in no way as brutal as the Vong.

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    He was already devouring the souls of the inhabitants of Byss. Palpatine was far worse than the Vong.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The secular Empire -- the one we're familiar with from the films -- was the transitional period.

The Dark Empire never came about because it was averted by the Skywalkers. Had Anakin not killed Palpatine when he did, it would have.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    "immigrants become completely submissive, their life-energy forever enslaved to the mind that would devour a galaxy."

So citizens in Dark Empire are submissive and...safe (up until it exploded). Yeah much better than having a seed implanted in your body and doing busy slave work/being tortured to death. If I had to choose sign me up for Dark Empire.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Emphasis "devour a galaxy". What's safe about that? :p

They're kept submissive because that's what you do with cattle.

20. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Think "cattle" in the vampiric sense.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I guess the question is would you rather die in your sleep or be tortured to death.

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    The Supreme Chancellor-- the yuuzhan vong were brutal because they were barbarian invaders and we mostly only saw them in that context. had they succeeded in taking control of the galaxy (which again, was never actually a possibility at any point like ever) they would have done what every nomadic invader has done since the beginning of time, which is settled in as peacetime rulers and then mellowed out considerably in the process. their rule would've been disruptive to be sure what with their whole proscription of lifeless technology thing but once hardware was replaced with wetware life would have gone on much like it did under the empire, except smellier probably. certainly you could fight the vong at any time if you were so inclined.

contrast that with palpatine's eventual "dark empire" where you live a peaceful (even blissful) life sure, but you lack any semblance of will or agency and like even the thought of rebelling is inconceivable because you are in the end a part of the Emperor you would have no more concept of rebellion or freedom than like, a single cell in your bloodstream has such a concept.

RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  23. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    So this is how you derail a thread.

24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin is the chosen one, even though what came after was pretty bad, nothing compares to the nightmare Palpatine would've been to the galaxy had Anakin not taken him out.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m still a rather large fan of Chosen Ones plural. Same with Sith’aris plural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk