main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit FOTJ Apocalypse: So who really is the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Corran Horn's Beard, May 19, 2013.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Anakin brought balance to the Force by having two children.

He became the Father

Leia and Luke became the Daughter and Son.

Except they were all good people, thus bringing balance to the galaxy.

ObiWanKnowsMe and bizzbizz like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Padme: What am I, chopped liver?

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Alas, she becomes Aboleth.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Apocalypse shouldn't affect our interpretation of the Chosen One prophesy.

A better question to ask would be, "who does Luke think the Chosen One is?" Having not read Apocalypse since 2012 or whenever it was released, I seem to recall that question was answered, in the sense that Luke thought Abeloth's emergence reflected new ages or something to that effect, and this new status quo that developed out of her latest emergence redefined balance as being between the Jedi and the Sith, rather than the view that the Sith created imbalance.

Essentially the writers, or Troy Denning at the very least, attempted to redefine it to better accommodate storytelling involving the Sith by explaining this disparity of why there somehow emerged more Sith after Anakin fulfilled the prophecy than before.

Sinrebirth and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Even Lucas himself seems to have abandoned the Light = Balance thing, which is a good thing too. It looks like NuCanon is also abandoning it, considering the existence of the Bendu.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Light has never equaled balance. It's merely that the Jedi and Sith aren't 1 for 1 stand ins for light and dark. The dark side still exists without the Sith around, it's simply kept in balance. The Jedi, and the light, are self-limiting, because they don't impose themselves on others.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think it's interesting that both Legends and canon imply that Anakin may not have fulfilled the prophecy, with Apocalypse implying it in Legends, and Obi-Wan thinking Luke is the Chosen One, and later Luke thinking Ben is the Chosen One, in canon.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still want to know about the other times Abeloth escaped. How did the Gree war change history? Mnggal Mnggal another time and the Rakata the most recent time before Jacen?

kalzeth likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's not uncommon. Obi-Wan thinks that Luke is the Chosen One in SW Rebels S3E20 Twin Suns.

The incredulity of the Jedi Council in Episode I suggests that Anakin wasn't the first person that a Jedi believed to be the Chosen One.

Revanfan1 and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015

When did George Lucas abandon the Light=Balance idea?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    When he wrote the Mortis episodes, presumably and had them be distinct.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I wouldn't say that the Mortis trilogy said anything different than could be found in The Making of Episode I from 1999.

BobaMatt likes this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, for those who believe Light=Balance, I think it does.

BobaMatt likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, that's the problem, they're reading something into the text that was never there.

BobaMatt likes this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I was not a fan of this.

Honestly I'd say the whole Anakin's didn't bring balance to the force was just Luke's cynical tired assessment at the end of his FOTJ adventure. Not an objective statement just Luke's cynical POV.

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I was more offended ONLY a Skywalker can bring balance since apparently Cade was needed to kill Krayt

Wait, is Cade possibly Anakin reincarnated?

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If I was to be mildly lazy, I’d assume the Skywalkers came about to replace the Celestials.

If anything, the Skywalkers should not associate with the Jedi, and be above such things. Which is one way of explaining why the fate of the galaxy seems to pendulum around its Chosen One(s)...

Arguably Krayt only succeeded so dramatically thanks to the fall of Jacen, after all. Similarly with Sidious and Anakin...

... and as much as it sounds fanboyish to argue about Revan bring a Chosen One, the fate of the galaxy was based on his alignment for going on three centuries... and Vitiate’s success is based upon Revan’s alignment at times... I even argue that Vitiate ‘evolved’ into Valkorion following his contact with Revan the second time... as an influence that went beyond Jedi and Sith - much like Vitiate did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

How did Caedus's feeble grasping attempt to rule the Galaxy end up helping Krayt a century later? Aside from the weak "lightning rod" argument, Caedus achieved very little in his one year of Sithdom.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The decision of Darth Caedus to turn to the dark side directly correlates to the ascension of Daala, the rediscovery of the Lost Tribe of the Sith and ushered in the Apocalypse.

Had Darth Caedus never occurred, none of those truly devastating events would have occurred. Any one of them was disastrous - but all three? The Jedi were hamstrung and the One Sith were not concealing themselves in a galaxy of peace, but able to even emerge from isolation to join with events and still remain free to build for decades.

It is not a remotely weak argument that Darth Caedus allowed Darth Krayt to rise - it is a statement the Dragon of the One Sith himself makes. The legacy of Caedus had the capacity to dominate for years, if not decades.

Darth Caedus completely invalidated the successes of Luke and the others. Damn, he caused an Imperial to take the reins of the whole galaxy for the first time since Emperor Palpatine, ushered in the return of the Sith en masse for the first time in a millennium, and released Abeloth for the first time in at least thirty thousand years.

That’s before I even look at his successes in life. He turned a galaxy back towards the concept of central rule not twenty years after Palpatine’s Empire sued for peace, seized control of the government in a matter of months, and drove the galaxy to the edge of defeat - all he needed do was authorise the death of his daughter, and he’d have won the war. Darth Caedus was an anachronism among the Sith in that he fell to the dark side to complete a goal - a goal he successfully achieved; even holding onto what his goal was while in full command of the powers of a Dark Lord of the Sith; rather than choking his wife in a pique of rage - the wife that Darth Vader was born to save.

Darth Caedus still would have had mastery of the dark side, of the galaxy, and of himself - and had repelled several attempts at redemption by his family - had he just won that last fight with his sister. That’s all he had to do - the Confederation was beaten; the Alliance-in-Exile erased; the Empire and Alliance in his grip, and the Megador has just broke the Hapan line.

You may complain that it went swiftly - but it had to. Caedus was intimately entwined with the Jedi Order and the fate of the galaxy. He could not step away from it and allow it to fester for a decade to his advantage - as Tyranus did - his crisis was here, and now, thanks to Lumiya, who herself took a small scale conflict and masterfully wove it with Darth Caedus into an opportunity that last took a millennium to create. Lumiya created the question of chaos and Darth Caedus answered it... and ushered in the Apocalypse that gave rise to the One Sith.

And he did it in a year.

Vialco, BobaMatt and kalzeth like this.
  20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's funny, I always read the Mortis episodes as a confirmation that the defeat of the dark side = balance, and a repudiation of the idea that the Jedi and Sith must coexist like a seesaw.

Ghost likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think...... it was an argument against the dark side unfettered, which breeds an imbalance. But we know that the lesson of he prequels is that the light winning is stagnation.

BobaMatt likes this.
  22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How do we understand the light winning? The total destruction of the dark side? I'm not sure that's possible, though in Legends I recall there being a fair but of diversity in Jedi understanding of the dark side in that sense.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The light side in power is the Republic. The dark side still exists but is kept in check.

The dark side in power is the Empire. If Palpatine won at Endor, there's no light side in the sense that it's a complete tipping point with no one left to remember what things were like before the Empire, and generations of people living under the Empire are going to be damaged people.

Ulicus likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m finding it hard to verbalise just how hidebound the Jedi were when they thought they’d erased the Sith, but it’s a good example - how they submerged themselves in the corruption of the Republic.

BobaMatt likes this.
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I agree with you most of the above points, except for the one in bold. Defeating Jaina wouldn't have secured victory for Caedus. He'd still have an extremely angry Luke Skywalker to deal with. Against whom he had no chance.