main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Found some X-wing Games.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sn4tcH, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I just found used copies of X-wing, TIE Fighter, and X-wing vs. TIE Fighter. I have windows XP and I know these are old games. How should I approach this? Are they playable on a newer computer?

Also, what are all the games in the "X-wing" series of games?

2. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I dont see why they wouldnt be playable. I havent played them but I know they are supposed to be really good games

3. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    You will need VDM sound to run X-Wing and Tie-Fighter on XP. Here the Topic about it.

IMO Tie-Fighter is one of the best WARS games so far.

4. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to run to the store and grab them (They were used and running about $4 each game). I also think they should release an anthology with all the games on one disk, ala the DOOM collectors set that works on newer PCs without trouble. I spent $20 on that set, and could not be happier, and I think X-wing deserves that too, especially since those games are canon materials.

I know X-wing, TIE Fighter, and X-wing vs. TIE Fighter, but what other games were in that series? I thought there was an X-wing 2 or something. Any help would be nice. :)

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    X-Wing
    Tie Fighter
    X-wing vs. Tie Fighter
    X-Wing Alliance

6. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Thank you again!

Also, sorry to be asking so many questions, but what events happen in the X-wing series? Like any of the battles from the movies or EU? Or anything else for that matter.

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Most of the battles are considered EU.

X-Wing deals with battles leading up to the Battle of Yavin. You actually do the Death Star trench run at the climax.

the X-Wing add-ons deal with the aftermath of Yavin, and later, Hoth

Tie-Fighter has its own story

XvT is mostly for multiplayer. The single player battles are their own story

Alliance has its own story, but has ties to some stuff. Theres a few missions that come from the Shadows of the Empire novel. The rest lead up to the Battle of Endor. You actually do the whole Battle of Endor in the Falcon

8. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    X-Wing and TIE Fighter don't necessarily need an emulator, as there are DOS and Windows versions of both games. Notably, the Windows versions of the two games were included in the "X-Wing Collectors' Series" first (along with X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Flight School), and later in the "X-Wing Trilogy" (along with X-Wing Alliance). The way to tell which version you have is to simply insert the CD...if you get a dialog with several options (including "Install DirectX") accompanied by a laser sound effect, then you have the Windows version (you may also get an error that references "autoexec.nt"...this is common and can be fixed by copying autoexec.nt from the Windows\Repair folder to the Windows\system32, after which you will get the previously mentioned dialog when autorunning the CD). Only the DOS versions will need to run on an emulator (DOSBox and VDMSound being common). The Windows versions need no emulator, however, you will need a third-party patch found on LucasFiles.com if you wish to run it on a Win2K/XP system with hardware 3D acceleration.

Note: The LucasFiles site was having trouble at the time of posting.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The win95 versions of X-Wing & TIE Fighter can be difficult to make recognise certain USB joysticks.

10. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Hey, don't mind to ask. You're welcome.

"X-Wing" deals with the time period before, during and after ANH, leading up to TESB.

"Tie-Fighter" starts right after TESB (the first missions are set in the Hoth system) and leads to ROTJ. The story is superb and you will have to face pirates and even traitors!

"X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter" has no story, but the add-on "Balance of Power" has two campaigns, one for the Rebels and one for the Empire, which are following the same story line. The Rebels have to destroy a Super-Star Destroyer to protect a new repair facility, whereas the Imps have to protect their SSD and destroy the Rebel base.

"X-Wing alliance" is more like Tie-Fighter but on the rebel side. It covers the same time span, and includes missions inspired by SotE. In the final missions you will even participate in the battle of Endor, including the Deathstar tunnels flight!!!!

All we need now is a prequel sim.

11. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    All we need now is a prequel sim.

We definetely need a prequel sim, but sadly it seems true space flight sims are in sore need of a comeback. What dedicated space flight sim have we seen since Freespace? Even Jump to Lightspeed was a bit too simplistic IMO. All we've seen for the prequels were "arcade" type space games like Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter. I'd love to see a real flight sim in the tradition of the X-wing series, and hopefully LEC will put one out.

12. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    I hate to admit it, but you are true. The trend is the easier the better, sadly. Well we have the X-Wing Alliance Update project, which at least tries to update the last game (Great job btw), and we have many fan-made missions. But I would love to have a high end graphics game which could cover the PT era and end with the giant battle of Coruscant *dream* =P~

13. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Ohhh... that sounds... so good.

Edit: Lucasarts by this point must know that the X-wing series had such a hardcore fan base. I'm sure they've taken plenty of gambles on games, heck, Lucasarts has made PLENTY of terrible Star Wars games. Don't they think it would be worth the gamble to make a new one based off one of their truely succesful and liked games? You'd be hard pressed to find someone that speaks ill will of the X-wing games, really. I think it would be in their best interests to release a new game.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    We at the XWAU have been hoping for that for years...

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, you at the XWAU. When are your downloads going to be back online? And do you (still) have packs so that I don't have to DL each ship individually?

16. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    jp

They rotate the actual download hosts to balance the load, so if you ever run into trouble downloading, just refresh the download page, which should give you a set of active hosts.

17. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    The X-Wing series, in it's heyday, was my favorite game series. I am as big a fan of the series as I am of any Star Wars thing. LOL

I also love how the entire X-Wing series tied so well into the Galactic Civil War. The movies barely brushed the surface of the war, but these games put you right in the middle of it.

X-Wing, for example, I loved how it showed the difficulty the Alliance had against the Empire, as well as the sense of urgency and doom the Rebels felt when they discovered the Empire was building a secret military project known as the Death Star. Really sheds light on what went into the Rebels trying to acquire the plans to the station.

TIE Fighter was my favorite, and I loved the nearly endless missions, awesome story, and how it shed a new perspective on the Star Wars story. Kind of turned the good vs. bad thing on it's head.

18. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    I also think that Tie-Fighter had the best story. The introduction, a distant civil war, and then the insurrection of Harcov and later Zaarin. I even loved the bitman cutscenes! Thrawn was there Vader was there, plus we got the first animated pictures of Coruscant...

Have to play it again today :D

19. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    That's exactly what I liked about TIE Fighter. Unlike Mr. Lucas, TIE Fighter expanded the world a bit and showed what else was going on during the Galactic Civil War, and in many ways showed how the Rebel Alliance was the smaller of their problems.

The Zaarin storyline was pure genius. And being able to fight alongside Vader and Thrawn was awesome. Plus there is some unforgettable imagery in the game while playing. I especially like the campaign Prelude to Endor. Awesome sense of foreboding. And the flight officer's final quote in the final campaign of the game ALWAYS gives me the chills: "We now await word of victory from Endor."

It's kind of scary because the player knows beforehand what happens at the Battle of Endor.

If you read the fiction that comes with it, the character of Marrek Stele is pretty cool too. Does anyone know what happens to him by the end of the NJO series?

20. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Yes, Tie-Fighter was the first EU product which gave me the feeling of endlessness in the SW galaxy. The books have been good, and X-Wing was impressive, but Tie-Fighter was huge.

The last line was great, and my favorite cutscene is the execution of Harcov...

Harcov and two Stormtroopers stand in front of a door. It opens. Vader is standing in the next room.

Vader: Welcome Admiral Harcov, we have a matter to discuss... What is the location of your fleet?

Vader forcechokes Harcov.

Harcov: Ahhhhhhhh

Vader: Now you shall pay for your treatury...

We can hear that Harkov's neck breaks.

Cool! :cool:

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Maarek is still hanging around in the Remnant, he appeared in a border interception adventure seed in the Wizards of the Coast material.

22. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    Talk about Rebel bias. They decided to have Keyan Farlander play a significant role, but completely shunned Stele except for that one WotC fiction.

23. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    :(

I remember these games fondly, and wanted to see if I could snag a copy of either X-Wing OR TIE-Fighter.

Not even on Ebay could I find them. LucasArts has eliminated them from the classics catalog.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That's the thing with ebay - even if they're not there now, they may be listed by someone next week.

And doesn't ebay now run a reverse auction where you list what you want to buy, and people then offer to sell the goods to you at ever reducing prices?

25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I still love Tie Fighter.

"Full Speed to Killimar!" and "For the greater glory of the Empire, DESTROY EVERYTHING" stand out as my favorite quotes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.