main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FoxNews-Telling lies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Pelly-Welly, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    You apparently have not been paying attention to the media lately if you don?t think there are as many vocal supporters for the other networks as there are detractors to the Fox News Network.

Indeed, in most cases these people are one in the same.

It?s an ad populum anyways, so it really doesn?t matter in the general direction of the debate.

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Memogate. Enjoy. Hey, Faux 'news' helped give this nice story some steam. ;)

3. IceHawk-181

Mar 1, 2004
    What?s ?Faux? News? I?ve never heard of it, some website perhaps?

You provide a link to a partisan website that is attacking other partisan attacks on fellow liberals and you want us to take it as proof of something?

This ?memogate? fiasco was so blatantly political that everyone saw through it.
    The Swift Boat Veterans were dealing real political damage to John Kerry, and the main networks were trying their best to either portray them as partisan liars or simply ignore them.
    Then, out of nowhere, supposed memos proving years old accusations about Bush?s own military history turn up just before the election. These memos are rushed through standard authentication procedures and make Rather?s nightly news.

It was a blatant attempt to destroy Bush?s credibility as well as remove the credibility of the Swift Boat Veterans.

Further evidence of the partisanship in Rather?s opinions were that, even after CBS backed away from the memos and the media classified them as forgeries, Rather proclaimed that he believed everything the memos said were, ?exactly correct?.

The entire media machine descended upon the story, first when it was an unknown, and then later when it was a major, scandalous level, of screw up.

Fox News, CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, and every major piece of print media came down on the story like vultures on a dead corpse.

What is your point about FNC and this situation then?

Providing a link does not constitute and argument.

I don?t think Cross Fire to be truly ?fair? in any sense, however I do acknowledge that it is an attempt at a fair debate program.
    Also, the majority of Fox News daily programs are about analytical observations of the news. Only Shepard Smith?s shows really provide a classic, pure reporting, newscast.

4. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    You are right, they're not saying we kill all infants, but they are implying that we're acting like nazis and such.

The Nazis had a systematic way of killing innocents, as do the Dutch in this story. The article is about history repeating itself: all evil, murderous countries start out small, and in this case, it's euthanizing innocent children.

However, I do think it was wrong for the reporter to give his opinion about it. He's supposed to be reporting news. Usually, FoxNews gives incredibly objectve reporting. I'm surprised the editors let this report get through. At least they don't make up half their facts, New York Times style.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    However, I do think it was wrong for the reporter to give his opinion about it. He's supposed to be reporting news. Usually, FoxNews gives incredibly objectve reporting. I'm surprised the editors let this report get through. At least they don't make up half their facts, New York Times style.

It was an opinion column, not a news article. It was clearly labeled as such.

Kimball Kinnison

6. IkritMan

Sep 11, 2002
    Woah! Can't believe I missed that. :eek:

7. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    The article is about history repeating itself: all evil, murderous countries start out small, and in this case, it's euthanizing innocent children.

Not to get off subject, why would you "mercy-kill" someone you didn't feel sorry for?

8. IkritMan

Sep 11, 2002
    I don't understand your question.

9. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    Euthanization is "mercy-killing". You do it to eliminate someone's pain and suffering. You said the Dutch euthanize innocent children. Wouldn't someone's innocence make you feel more mercy for them?

10. IkritMan

Sep 11, 2002
    I don't think anyone should choose whether someone else has the right to life or not. People can choose to commit suicide if they wish, but outside forces such as you and I should not be killing people in the name of "mercy."

11. Invader_Zim

Invader_Zim Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2003
    I've only skimmed the first few pages of this thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Would someone like Hellen Keller have fallen in the category of children that would be euthanized?

If not by todays standards, maybe by the standards set in the future?

12. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    People can choose to commit suicide if they wish,

Newborn babies can't.

but outside forces such as you and I should not be killing people in the name of "mercy."

Even if they are going to die terrible deaths in less than a week?

13. IkritMan

Sep 11, 2002
    Newborn babies can't.

Exactly. No one should speak for them until they can speak for themselves. Euthanizing them if they do not have the chance to speak for themselves is, in fact, murder.

Even if they are going to die terrible deaths in less than a week?

Good point. :(

14. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    Euthanizing them if they do not have the chance to speak for themselves is, in fact, murder.

But isn't keeping them alive and prolonging their pain and suffering, in fact, torture?

You have a choice between torture and murder. Although your intentions may be good if you try to prolong the life of the child, you will just prolong the suffering and achieve the same end result.

15. IkritMan

Sep 11, 2002
    But isn't keeping them alive and prolonging their pain and suffering, in fact, torture?

No.

16. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Unless you're a psychic or a clairvoyant I don't think you can make such a claim without it falling into the realm of opinion. You stated it as a fact. wink If by manipulating his entire film you mean editin - I don't think you can really gripe that much; after all every director manipulates their work to more effectively get their vision across. If he hadn't made a film about Our Lord And Savior, GWB, he probably wouldn't be as reviled.

Don't make me bring up the 59 Deceits again, FID, because it is fact that Moore manipulated his film beyond pragmatic editing to coerce people into his line of ideologue. That is beyond mere documentary and into the realm of propaganda.

Ciou-See the Sig

17. Jabba_on_a_unicycle

Jabba_on_a_unicycle Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2005
    I think every news agency is bias to either left or right but i believe that Fox News i more than most.

18. IceHawk-181

Mar 1, 2004
    Well, belief is certainly proof of something....

19. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Not to change the subject, but this is just in from The Drudge Report...

'AIR AMERICA' RATINGS TURBULENCE IN NY CITY: Surprising many observers who expected it to shine during election season, all-liberal upstart WLIB (1190 AM) -- base station for Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo -- actually headed south, shedding 15% of its summer audience to finish fall at 24th place in just-released ARBITRONS...

If the libs are soooooooooooo upset about the "bias" of the talk radio scene and the "control" the Conservatives have over the radio airwaves, why the hell don't they listen to Air America?

Perhaps it is just the market providing what the public wants...

Maybe there is no "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy"...

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    If the libs are soooooooooooo upset about the "bias" of the talk radio scene and the "control" the Conservatives have over the radio airwaves, why the hell don't they listen to Air America?

Simple, we're too busy getting things done. Like staying in the library and you know...that whole sex thing. Who the hell wants to listen to talk radio while they're getting their groove on? Okay...so maybe there are some out there who would.

21. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Who the hell wants to listen to talk radio while they're getting their groove on?

I do! At just that moment I scream, "What a Rush!" ;)

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    You're either a Roadwarriors (Legion of Doom if you're WWF) fan or a Limbaugh fan. If it's the former, kill me. If it's the latter hand me a bucket so I can puke.

23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    LOL...Both, it was a pun to anyone who would get it. Good job!

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Dunno...if I'm having sex with my woman...a portly conservative republican isn't something I'd want to think about. Give me Ann Coulter...at least you could see her as a dominatrix type gal. Well...she's a heshe...but still.

25. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Here is an example of why I think Fox News is more fair and balanced than the rest of the liberal media. I mean seriously, at least Fox will bring liberals on to tell their side of things. CBS wont even pretend to do that much. :rolleyes: at the "eye".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.