FoxNews-Telling lies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Pelly-Welly, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Oh, OK.

So you are saying we should only look at the bad news.

Anything else would be an "impression I might get from my favorite news sources"...

Thank you for proving my point.
  2. BenduHopkins Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, OK.

So you are saying we should only look at the bad news.

Anything else would be an "impression I might get from my favorite news sources"...

Thank you for proving my point.

Reread my post and clarify for yourself.
  3. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Alright, I re-read it.

From that post I get the impression that you believe the only good news coming out of Iraq is manufactured by Bush and Rummy. Thus making any news agency that reports it mearly an arm of the Republican party.

Hence, it proves my previous point.
  4. LQ_ Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Doesn't one of Bush's relative help run FOX news. You can expect nothing but garbage from that network. Pure propaganda.

SIDENOTE: What ever happen to that Bill O'Reily sex scandel anyway?
  5. Cyprusg Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What ever happen to that Bill O'Reily sex scandel anyway?

They settled. If she released the tapes it would have been a career ruiner for him, so smart move.
  6. BenduHopkins Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, I re-read it.

From that post I get the impression that you believe the only good news coming out of Iraq is manufactured by Bush and Rummy. Thus making any news agency that reports it mearly an arm of the Republican party.

Hence, it proves my previous point.

No, I said that Bush and Rummy report mostly the good news during press conferences, because they want the American people to support them and be optimistic for the outcome. Given the events taking place in Iraq, reporters don't think that Bush and Rummy give the full picture, and in fact many think they are very innacurate in their assessment and optimism of the situation as they were before the invasion. Many have used their brains to deduce that this "glossing over" is a political tactic, and that they as reporters must report the bad news, which they believe from all the evidence at hand to be an accurate portrayal of the situation.

My point is, that although the President may hilight mostly the successes in Iraq, the mission itself is not mostly successful, and the news more accurately portrays the goings on there.

And you should recall that I said it is wrong for a News agency to report only bad news, and never report good news. But the portrayal of chaos and slipping control is not only reported by anchor men, but also by members of the military who talk to the press.
  7. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Given the events taking place in Iraq, reporters don't think that Bush and Rummy give the full picture, and in fact many think they are very innacurate in their assessment and optimism of the situation as they were before the invasion. Many have used their brains to deduce that this "glossing over" is a political tactic, and that they as reporters must report the bad news, which they believe from all the evidence at hand to be an accurate portrayal of the situation.

This is a rationalization of why the news is slanted to the left. As such it is also an admission that it is slanted to the left.

Thank you for agreeing with me.
  8. Fire_Sock_DEAD Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The news is not slanted to the left or right. It's slanted toward stories. If there's a juicy story somewhere then they want to mine it for all it's worth. Take the Peterson case. Why the hell did anyone care about that trial? It was a by rote murder case. But Scott Peterson and Laci were photogenic. Not only that, but two photogenic people having martial problems and then one is murdered right before she gives birth, while it's Christmas eve. Sounds like a soap opera, doesn't it? Sadly that's how the murder, the trial, and the sentencing was handled. The only part I could say fox is biased (and any news station) is biased towards is their political news stories. And even they're treated like mini-soaps. Right or left, it doesn't matter if you're a journalist; it's a dramatic (or touching) story that matters.
  9. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Ya might wanna check [link=http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm]this[/link] out.

10. Fire_Sock_DEAD Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Drudge report...like a gossip column only the author is a man.
  11. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    These are the official ratings numbers.

If you don't believe then, take it up with Neilson and their ratings board.
  12. Fire_Sock_DEAD Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I never said I don't believe the numbers. I just think Matt Drudge is scum.
  13. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    Jerry Springer beats Oprah in the daytime talk shows on a regular basis. Why? Because its a better talk show? Or because this country is going to **** and blood, fear, violence, and scandal sell and the news doesnt. Why Fox feels the need to show us a terror alert on their scroll like they are some kind of authority on it is beyond me. Watch " Outfoxed ".
  14. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Watch " Outfoxed ".

Seen it. Only one of those "ex-employees" actually worked for Fox.
  15. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    Really? And where did you get that info? Im honestly curious.
  16. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    LOL...Believe it or not, Drudge had the employment history of all the "ex-employees" on his site.

One was a remote reporter who didn't sign a new contract when he couldn't get an ancor job. He was the only one that worked for FoxNews.

All the others worked for Fox affilliates (local stations). FoxNews does not control the news shows on the Fox TV stations.
  17. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    Jerry Springer beats Oprah in the daytime talk shows on a regular basis.

To be honest you didn't specify what you meant by "beat," but according to the Nielsen ratings, Springer isn't even a top performer (last season):

1)Dr Dhil
    2)Oprah
    3)Live with Regis and Kelly
    4)The View
    5)Ellen

The bottom includes:
    Maury
    Ricki Lake
    JERRY SPRINGER
    Montel Williams

Is there a correlation between the quality of a show and viewership?

I don't know. I think it's largely an issue of taste.
  18. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    Is there a correlation between the quality of a show and viewership?

I think it just comes down to who do you trust.

CNN, as a largely bias and anti-American station, have betrayed the trust of the American people.

Look at CBS and their ratings after "Rathergate".
  19. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    People that make Americans feel unpatriotic if they question their leaders betray the trust of America, and Fox News fits that to a tee. And I did a little fact checking of my own and every person in " Outfoxed " had exactly the job that was said. Maybe the three employees that remained anonoymous can be construed as dubious, but I doubt that too. And your right about Springer, it was only in his second and third years that he topped Daytime Talk. I stand corrected.
  20. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 9
    Calling CNN "anti-American" is ridiculous. If nothing else is true, that is.

What are you even trying to base this on?
  21. BenduHopkins Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a rationalization of why the news is slanted to the left. As such it is also an admission that it is slanted to the left.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Tee hee. What if the truth just happens to match the left's point of view in the years of the Bush Administration? I think this "leftist" news is actually just the portion that is reporting the truth. There's plenty of news that supports Bush and the official Republican party line as well, so I don't see what you're complaining about.

If the accepted truth is that blacks deserve freedom, and news was supporting that during the civil war, would it be "slanted" or factual?
  22. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    I think this "leftist" news is actually just the portion that is reporting the truth. There's plenty of news that supports Bush and the official Republican party line as well, so I don't see what you're complaining about.

Here's the single undenyable fact: Everything I see on CNN and read in the paper I also see on Fox.

Yet Fox shows more details on the big stories that are ignored by the other major news outlets. That is also why their ratings are higher than CNN and MSNBC combined.
  23. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    If the accepted truth is that blacks deserve freedom, and news was supporting that during the civil war, would it be "slanted" or factual?

I missed what this was supposed to illustrate..

If the accepted truth is that Iraq deserves freedom, and news outlets were supporting that during the Iraq war, would it be slanted or factual?

Based your above illustration, I see what your answer would be.
  24. J-Rod Jedi Master

star 6
    In a semi-related note; 550AM KFYI, has been the # 1 radio station in the Pheonix area now for the last two ratings cycles. They carry Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

It is even more popular than all the FM music stations. Even the urban and top 40 stations.

There is a movement in this country.
  25. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, Ill agree with that, but its not a good one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.