main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Frank Darabont defends TPM!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Luukeskywalker, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Doesn't it really mean, never give a warning shot?

2. TheAnointedOne

TheAnointedOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    As far as Greedo shooting first, here's something that I think has been grossly overlooked. Even if Greedo did shoot first, Han didn't have time to react and shoot back. The shots were fired practically at the same time so Han wasn't reacting to Greedo shooting first. Han was going to shoot first anyway so what's the point except to show how incompetent Greedo was in missing a large target two feet in front of him.

By making Greedo shoot first, Lucas changed the fact that Greedo was any real threat to Han to begin with making the whole scene a big joke.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I thought this was a TPM topic. BTW I love TPM.

If were going to discuss some SE flaws the biggest is Lukes scream in ESB. It negated his willing act to die. If you're willing to die you're not afraid, if you're not afraid then why would you scream?

I only hope when the DVD's come out they'll give us the option of leaving the addition in or out.

4. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    So who thought the green guy was a threat anyway? Come on, Greedo doesn't exactly send chills up my spine when I see him on the screen. The threat to Han was quite minimal at best. Which goes back to my original explanation. Shooting a dimwit like Greedo without just cause would have made him look like some kind of psycho. And not the fun-loving goofball we all know and love. ;)

5. TheAnointedOne

Dec 2, 2002
    "Easy. Lucas didn't want Solo's character to be perceived as being a ruthless cold blooded killer type. Even if it was only Greedo he blasted."

But that's the way he was for twenty years. Now all of a sudden, he's changed. That's unbelievably rediculous.

6. TheAnointedOne

Dec 2, 2002
    "Shooting a dimwit like Greedo without just cause would have made him look like some kind of psycho. And not the fun-loving goofball we all know and love."

Did he really have just cause? It seems to me that Han could have just gotten up and walked out without doing anything. If Greedo couldn't hit him sitting still at the same table, then how could he hit him if he was actually moving?

Han could have just gotten up, walked out, gone to Jabba and stepped on that feared gangster's tail, had essentially the same conversation with Jabba (word for word) that he had with Greedo and then flown off to fight that whiney, horney, teenaged brat that's terrorizing the galaxy!

7. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Han could have just gotten up, walked out,

- This will be done in the Archival Edition ;)
    From this thread:

GREEDO: If you give me your ship, your pet Wookiee, and the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD, I might let you live.

HAN: Over my dead body, or next to it.

GREEDO: Ah, but if I must.

Greedo shoots, Han twists his head aside with a sickening crack, the shot misses!!

GREEDO: What the...!

Han cracks his head back in position, gets up, walks up to Greedo and points his finger at the green alien.

HAN: That was very, very naughty, you bad, bad boy!

Han walks away and tosses the bartender some coins.

HAN: Sorry that I raised my voice.

8. DarthSil

Mar 19, 2003
    It all sounds good to me. :D

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    No, it's an opinion. I agree with your OPINION that the execution left something to be desired, but I disagree with your OPINION that it "ruined" the film or changed it in any way. And that's a fact!

It is your opinion that it is an opinion. It is my opinion that it is a fact.

10. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Hawk, that's just absurd. It is a FACT that it is your OPINION that the addition was bad. That is non debatable. Look it up in a dictionary. You cannot claim something as fact unless it can be proven.

I was never bothered by this addition, as I always thought that the two fired at the same time anyway. In the original edition, I always thought that Greedo shoots at the same time Han shoots. It's probably all that smoke and the laser going everywhere. As long as Han doesn't scream when Greedo shoots, I'm fine. ;)

Cometgreen

11. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    Isn´t this thread slightly going off-topic ?

12. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Of course. Every thread turns into a Greedo shooting first argument these days. Get with it man! :)

Cometgreen

13. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    Okeydokey

*sigh*

14. Son_Of_Kurtzman

Son_Of_Kurtzman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    I personally think it is wrong to change the content of a film. The finished project is a piece of history, which should not be altered by the changing of time and one's own mind.

I've never had a problem with digitally enhancing the color balances of the deteriorating film stock, or digitizing and remastering the sound, etc. I had a problem with Greedo shooting first, not because I know or care what Lucas wanted in 1976, but because it came out in 1977 as it was. Anyway, I guess he's gone this far now, he'll probably change more for an Ultimate Edition -- which, frankly, I don't care. It might be cool to have the voice-overs matching, the laser-sword colors uniform, whatever... just so long as the originals are back in print and respected.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It is your opinion that it is an opinion. It is my opinion that it is a fact.

With meaningless doublespeak like that, the Wachowski brothers might hire you to write the next Matrix film! "We say a lot of words without saying anything meaningful!" is their motto.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well doesn't all this mean that Luke is now a cold-blooded ruthless killer - after all when he fired his proton torpedo into the Deathstar he didn't wait to see if they shot first. I think GL should go back and fix that - the DS should shoot at Yavin's moon, miss, and then Luke can fire his torpedo without looking bad. :p

g

17. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "With meaningless doublespeak like that, the Wachowski brothers might hire you to write the next Matrix film! "We say a lot of words without saying anything meaningful!" is their motto."

"i wish that i could wish" your opinion was not so immensely biased.

18. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Funny how you take that line completely out of context. Wishing that you can "wish" something away is a little different than wishing you could wish something was a certain way. Lucas's use of the line, while awkward, at least functions as a way of showing Anakin's confusion and despair.

Also, I don't want to speak for anyobdy if they don't want me to, but I think Durwood's point was that the Matrix films pretend that their dialogue is deep and profound, yet isn't, while Star Wars was never about dialogue to begin with, but rather special effects, colors, lighting, and other visual elements to tell the story.

19. DarthSil

Mar 19, 2003
    Right! Another good point that shouldn't have to be made on a continuos basis, but is, nevertheless. ;)

20. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    there is no such thing as a film that is not about dialogue. to say that is to disregard the script. and actually Durwood was criticizing a poster for the "opinion" comment, which was no worse than a line from the pen of Lucas.

21. DarthSil

Mar 19, 2003
    Well, you know what they say about opinions:

"They're coarse and irritating . . ." ;)

22. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    there is no such thing as a film that is not about dialogue.

I guess silent movies are just a figment of our collective imaginations then. As is Lucas' comment that he's basically modeling his visual storytelling style after the techniques used by the great silent directors of a bygone era.

Durwood was criticizing a poster for the "opinion" comment.

More precisely, I was criticizing him for presenting his opinion as fact. Context, chief. It's all about context.

23. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Funny how you take that line completely out of context.

"Oh, he excels at it." Notably, he has persisted in using one of my statements, taken out of context, natch, as his signature quote despite my calling him on it. But that's good ol' Duck and Run for you. A zebra can't change his stripes and all that.

24. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "I guess silent movies are just a figment of our collective imaginations then."

perhaps if youve seen one you would know that they have dialogue on title cards.

you were not arguing with an opinion earlier, you commented on the posters use of "doublespeak".

but keep trying, looks like one other person believes you. hey, its a start!

25. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    George made the OT like they were silent films as well, and yet the general concensus is that the acting and writing is passable, and in some cases very memorable. The general concensus on the prequels, however, is that the acting is, for the most part, dull and wooden, and that the writing is atrocious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.