main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Frank Marshall: Director search down to a few

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Luukeskywalker, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This is so exciting! I am aquiver in anticipation! [face_dancing]

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Basically, I'm pretty sure a director has been picked. They're just waiting to make it official. Hopefully we to get to find out before Christmas.

Padme501st likes this.
  4. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
  5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It'll probably come out in one of the interviews they keep posting at starwars.com, it seems that anytime we get a new video we get new information in regards to the movie.

TreborSabreon and yodasbum like this.
  6. Darth_Darkmoon

Darth_Darkmoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Noooooo, not JJ Abrams!

I doubt that he would do it now that Michael Arndt will write the script. JJ Abrams is someone who needs complete control over a project so I think that he would only direct Episode VII if he would be allowed to write or at least co-write the script, too.
    I think that the restrictions he would face in making the movie (directing from a script by someone else, having to deal with George Lucas and discuss every change and idea etc.) will make him back out of the project.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  7. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think JJ Arbams writes most of his stuff, but I believe he also said recently that he is focused on Star Trek, and not trying to get in on Star Wars. Anyway, I still have my fingers crossed for Brad Bird ;). This Colin Trevorrow fellow has been getting a lot of buzz recently, so he may be one of the the couple of candidates being considered.

8. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    He as said he is out.

krtmd likes this.
  9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL No kidding! FM accidentally or purposely lets slip who the director is and his car will blow up or he'll mysteriously lose his breaks. OR, even worse, if the message boards don't like it he'll be attacked by a thousand angry geeks.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Or his wife stops speaking to him...

11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    If he's so lucky . . . IF he did such a thing that's grounds for divorce these days.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Ah, well at least the "mother-ship" in ANH left a big impression on Mr. Marshall :p

I agree with the statement that the director is already picked, but they're letting us speculate and hype ourselves up a bit more before announcing it, probably with along with a few more interesting facts except just a name.

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yep, this pre-production phase has been running longer than we know.

BTW -- does anyone know when Kathleen Kennedy started with LucasFilm?

14. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Unless that's referring to Joe Johnston, which is fine by me.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He only said he thinks he going to see it as a fan. He didn't rule anything out.

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    June

eta. Here's the link to the indiewire article which appeared on June 4, 2012

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Thank you very much for that. So it would seem that around that time the plans for all this began.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Looking at that article now you can see the reporter is kind of hinting at new Star Wars movies without actually daring to go there. ;)

19. Teasser38

Teasser38 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Boba Fett is the first character that peeps would think to have his own spin-off movie. I'd see that. The Fetts rock.

But I think BF is probably the focus of the show, so wel'll see . . .

TreborSabreon and The_Hellhammer like this.
  21. Ed Watts

Ed Watts Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
  22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The videos they keep posting on SW.com with Kennedy and Lucas were also shot during the summer so they've been working on all of this for at least a few months then. If you watch the videos, Kennedy talks about being in the midst of the scripting stage and figuring out what the story is.

So, I suspect they already have a director and are prepping to shoot some portion of the film next year.

23. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't want Whedon because I think he would try too hard to include in jokes and references to the previous movies and i don't think his style of dialogue fits. I don't want JJ Abrahms because I want him to continue with Star Trek and not leave it until he does a 3rd.

I kinda want Joe Johnston because of his experience with the original trilogy and long history with Lucas. I think a failing could be trying to make it too much like the original though.

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    No. NO! Abrams destroys everything he ever touches. I've never watched something with his name on it and said anything remotely close to "that was good." The best thing I could say about Star Trek was that it was a wonderfully casted atrocity. Super 8? E.T. with lens flare. Don't get me started on his TV. Abrams would seriously be the worst thing I could hear about this movie.

25. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    They have about 30 months to get it filmed -- if the July 17th date is to be believed -- which is pretty ambitious for a SW movie since GL usually took 36 months. So alot of the concepts and such must be well underway.