main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Frank Miller's 300

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by sith_rising, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I really liked her as well. Then there's the Brothers Grimm which she's also in....no.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw it earlier today and liked most of it. However I agree that the Gorgo side story did slow it down a bit.
    Did anyone else think that the main guy in the cloak in the Oracle scene looked like a mutant cousin of Sidious? Soon as he came onscreen 'Palpatine' was my first thought.

3. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    here i am a 40 yr old woman, wife mother of three, high school teacher living in 2007 and i connected with them. i got gorgo. women have the harder time of it. he gets to go off and fight and win or even lose. but she has to wait, and keep everything going. just another example of everything about men is outward and everything about women is inward. it wasnt just a battle. it was for their life, their livelihood, their legacy. what more do we need to see about leonidas? he was a tough guy, raised to be the toughest. loved his people and his family. would die to protect them. here he was king and turned and got permission from his wife to kill the messenger.

this disconnectedness from the fans of vader? we couldnt see his face, didnt know anything about him yet we connected. whatever. i got it.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The elders had that Sidious thing going.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It's just shy of 180m. 179.9 right now.

7. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    This is Delicious!

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I wonder how much Grindhouse will hurt it this weekend. Both are definitely guy films.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    this weekend will be a test on whether it hits $200 million or not

10. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Anyone know the name of the song that plays during the 300 trailer? I want to say it's by NIN but I just cannot place it. Thanks.

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    NIN - just like you imagined?

is that the song your thinking of?

dkt

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    2.7 was Friday's number. It's going to do it before Spider-Man 3 release w/o question.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I saw it this afternoon (it opened this Thursday, here). I really needed a break from schoolwork, as I haven't had one since January (not even in the semester break) so this movie absolutely hit the spot. Just what I needed right now: death, men, warriors, gods, creatures, violence, chanting, roaring, fighting, blood, dismemberment, impaling, cutting, standing ground, charging, big shields, millions of arrows, one-liners, a couple of boobs and butts, death, kill, kill, kill, kill! :D

In fact, I was surprised there were so many quiet moments

and I still don't get how some people seem to seek depth in every movie. Some just don't need any.
    But then again I think this movie's depth is that these people have no depth. That prologue-thingy about Leonidas childhood/youth didn't make that clear?

Finally another movie that's worthy of a big screen and the volume turned up. It's been a long time.

14. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Just saw it yesterday, and it was pretty good. Battle scenes were awesome. The narration was a little annoying sometimes and I probably would have gotten someone else to do it,
    but apart from that no real complaints.

15. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The narration was one of the best parts.

16. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    That's the one. Thanks, dkt. :)

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I wasn't a big fan of the narration, but I do like David Wenham (even though he is being typecast for the fantasy genre)

18. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I saw this over the weekend and loved it. My friends and I had a blast acting out little spoofs of it in the parking lot afterwards. "THIS IS SPARTA!!!" is our new catch phrase :p I definitely want to go see it again before it leaves our theater (probably by the end of this week).

19. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Upon returning from LA me and my brother were coming on on Barstow and they had a sign that said "Mad Greek Gyros: Best Gyro's in the world."

I turned to my brother and said, "We shall but there name to the test" we el oh eled for a bit.

dkt

20. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I loved it. The war rhino was overrated, and there wasn't much depth, but when have I ever looked for depth in a movie? :p

And I just ordered the soundtrack from Amazon. :cool:

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It had its own type of depth focusing on one battle.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    $193,402,459 is 300's current domestic box office intake. it'll have $200 million easily after this next weekend

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, who saw South Park tonight?

THIS. IS. LEZBOS! [face_laugh]

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I am SO glad I saw the movie just this Sunday. South Park would have sucked for me without it. And I can't have that.

25. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm planning on seeing this on IMAX this weekend. I haven't seen it yet, so it'll be even better on IMAX. [face_devil] And I'll hold off on South Park until I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.