main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Frank Oz (Yoda) in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Dec 19, 2015.

1. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    the backwards talk is taken to a ludicrous extreme in the PT. It actually much more subtle and far less distracting in the OT (IMHO)

ObidioJuan and 11-4D like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Can't say I ever noticed and when pointed out it doesn't matter at all really

It takes out the context that Yoda in TESB was trying to be very solemn with Luke after being silly.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Yes in the OT, Yoda only talks backwards and "funny" before he reveals he's "THE" Yoda.

but then the PT we hear Yoda speaking all his lines backwards and "funny".

4. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Unless they find a really good way to serve the story by using Yoda in VIII, then there is no reason he should show up. Hoping that we don't see him. It's time to see Luke as the obi-wan/Yoda figure.

5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "Why wish you become Last Jedi" - Yoda

6. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Untrue this is.

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Yoda is Snoke. o_O

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Nope. Snoke is Yoda's father ;). Maz is the mother. Snoke and Maz had been married.
    After being divorced Maz started to fight the "Dark Side"

Thats the story

jaqen and nightangel like this.
  9. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I thought it was already deciphered that Snoke is Darth Maul. He's just too old now and has become bald. (His horns fell off).

And we can see that Rey's staff/stick thingy is made of or Darth Maul's saber.

Ergo, Rey is Maul's daughter and so it's Snoke's daughter

dun,k dun ,dun!

jaqen likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    You've cracked it!

11. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Yoda talks backwards on occasion because he's 900 years old and trying to remember what he wanted to say...and it just comes out backwards...

When you reach 900 years old, you try not to mix up your words or talk backwards...

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all.

As gone over the numerical difference is 66% PT to 50% OT.

66% o_O

hmmm...co-incidence?

So plenty of backwards talk all around. Yoda is an actor. He's constantly acting to those around him due to his position as Jedi Master. He acts to Luke in his playful swamp persona and he is still acting to him as the Jedi Master. Both are part of him but he needs Luke to see the difference and he is only acting to an audience of one in his unnatural habitat.

In the PT when he is in his natural setting of the Jedi Temple we get a better gauge of his character as he has to interact with all sorts of people. Yoda is hardly "funny" in TPM, he is more relaxed with the younglings and combative with Dooku who he is taunting. We see the taunting style against Sidious as well.

Real world wise it just depends on what sounds right. Obviously some things are deemed to work and others are not. If Frank Oz wants to do it one way or another I don't think anyone is going to much argue with him. I suspect he and George come to agreement on the lines pretty quickly.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I never really saw much of a difference in how yoda talks between OT and PT, other than the fact that he speaks a little slower in the PT (presumably in order to clearly understand what he's saying). Phrases like "So certain are you! Hear you nothing that I say?...or...always in motion, is the future." compares just fine to lines like "Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight, the council does....or Good relations with the wookies, I have...or...I hope right, you are." Not to mention there were some more awkward phrases he said in BOTH trilogies, like "Around the survivors, a perimeter create!" Compared to "What know you of ready?" I think the difference that really causes these thoughts could be that Yoda has much more complicated stuff to say in the PT, as opposed to the OT, where we really only hear him talk about the Force and the darkside mostly.

At this point, I really wouldn't mind seeing Yoda, but if Yoda appears, hopefully JUST him-not Obi-Wan with him. Unless Anakin is with them...I don't know-either way, I'd love to see force ghosts in SOME capacity at least-IMO that's a story point that could be quite interesting if they actually spent some time fleshing it out.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Yoda still speaks backward in ROTJ, it's just he has fewer lines.

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  15. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    EDIT:

He talks backwards because he is wise.

Yoda, backwards speak he does.

starocean90 likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yoda in TPM seemed not too over the top with his speech. "I sense much fear in you" rather than "Much fear in you, I sense".

17. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Yoda's backwards speech adds effect to his mystical sage-like aura.

oncafar and starocean90 like this.
  18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I never had a problem with PT Yoda. Just sayin'. :yoda:

19. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Yoda Rulz period

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'd be happy with Luke's island being covered in Puffins all voiced by Frank Oz. Wandering about making Yoda noises. "Hmm. Hmm. Ouah. Hmm."

B3 likes this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I always wanted to post on this forum for a year, either the Binks way or the Yoda way.:p

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You can't say with a straight face that this wasn't noticeable. In the PT, it was outright farcical, at times, with the greatest offender being:

"Around the survivors, a perimeter create."

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing, at the time of first viewing. Though now I find it hilarious, and one of the few absurdities that keeps me re-watching the final act of AOTC.

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This basically confirms that Rey is going to be talking with some force ghosts in VIII :D
    (Also a very nice tie-in with TCW and Rebels)

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure can. I certainly wasn't counting lines and if we weren't it's a sure bet that no one else was.

Funny thing is that in TESB the whole concept of Yoda at all as this great warrior was farcical. Which really was the point.

This descendant of Kermit and Miss Piggy with the backwards talk is a Jedi Master?

We have to place these things in the original context of the time. Yet for all the farcical nature it became accepted and embraced by the audience. For AOTC Lucas did the same thing again and carried it to the ludicrous extreme of actually having him fight and once again the audience accepted and embraced it.

Yet it's still perfectly intelligible. As is "A perimeter around the survivors, create". The larger point is the words being used as Yoda uses a military term of perimeter as opposed to just saying "Circle the survivors."

Absurdities is that Star Wars is based on. If it wasn't none of us would be watching.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

OHHH!!!