main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Freddie Luxembourg'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MomentOfTriumph, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MomentOfTriumph

MomentOfTriumph Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    now that we cant laugh at the yanks for the way they play football (goddamn it!), we'll have to stick with laughing at them for the way they talk about football.

not that's there's anything at all amusing about Spanish language channel univision's constant references to 'emily heskey' or ESPN-ZXGTY pundit dave dir waxing lyrical about sweden winger 'freddie luxembourg'.

the wags.

2. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    What amazing foresight though in the case of Emily Heskey...

eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth Chris Waddle.

3. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    Yesterday was a fluke.

Plus they won the match by shouting things like, "He's behind you" and, "pass it to me...no no - up field."

If the Portugese had spoken fluent "English" they couldn't have lost.

Fluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

4. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    that's what I was thinking. Fluke. Portugal didn't start even playing. And the portuguese keeper hadn't played a footy match for a year!!!! WTF is that all about?

5. MomentOfTriumph

Jan 12, 2000
    //whispers

ITS A FIX

6. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    Somebody called Jim Rome (a radio presenter) reportedly made a comment that their victory against Portugal was equal in importance to D-Day. That must be a stretch, even for an American.

7. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    See, to "normal" people that would be a stretch. but for an american.......

8. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    I reckon you're right. I reckon it was a fix. I reckon the Portugese goalie got a sixty four billion hot dog pay off.

Equal importance to D-Day

// snorts

Well at least America didn't wait till the last five minutes of the war, er I mean, match to join in this time.

9. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Not quite. They came in about the 30 minute mark. But didn't put a meaningful attack in until the last 15. I'm sure they will come back with some comment anout us not speaking German thanks to them... :p

10. Go-Get Beer

Apr 11, 2000
    Don't diss US over WWII. They didn't win the war alone, but they were supporting their Allies long before they were actively engaged in hostilities.

11. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    So if, in the Portugal game, they had fielded just a goalkeeper, and the rest of the team had sat in the dugout cheering him on, that would be OK?

12. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    They were?

Miss Shute (Christian name, Poo) my history teacher must've lied to me.

I wonder if it's possible to sue her for lying and not wearing deodorant.

13. Go-Get Beer

Apr 11, 2000
    A-A To that, I can always respond, that thanks to them I can speak Russian.

OJK It can't be required of a nation to deploy its full military might to fight a war that doesn't concern them. (If we are still talking WWII here. I tend to get lost in foreign semantics)

14. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Hmm. I don't know how we got onto history from ropey American footy commentary, but here goes... I don't recall the US steaming into Europe in 1939? It took massive blunder from the Axis which forced them into action. Without Japanese offensives and Hitlers declaration of war on the US as allies of Japan. would FDR really have been able to justify a war 4000 miles from home to an intentionally isolationist people? Moralist/idealist views aside, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

15. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Almost as important as when the Americans beat the Russians in the Great War for freedom (ww2).

16. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    I was posting more for the inherent beauty of the metaphor, GGB, than to make a political point.

17. MomentOfTriumph

Jan 12, 2000
    ok, this was meant to be a light hearted thread about americans non pronunciation.

please dont mention vietnam

18. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    LOL - I've already not mentioned Vietnam once, you mean I have to do it again??

19. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    N-n-n-n-n-n-nineteen

N-n-n-n-none of them received a heroes welcome

20. Go-Get Beer

Apr 11, 2000
    I really must stop hijacking threads. Every second time I post something like this happens. :(

TTG Your history teacher probably was misinformed about a great deal of things. I wonder if you are still taught that it was British mathematicians that cracked the Enigma code.

A-A The US supported the UK with raw materials and weapons before the declaration of war on Hitler. They even constructed a special class of ships, which were stripped for metal and parts when they reached Europe.

21. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Ok. I'm sorry - its just this sort of thing really tickles my cage (eh?). Like the fact the 3 of the 5 fronts at Normandy were actually British dominated. But nobody remembers that one, only private ryan film. Bah - there I go again.

19 - what happened to Paul Hardcastle?

22. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    GGB - LOL - you should post more often.

// rolls on the floor

Miss Poo Shute also told me Stalin had such a badly pock-marked face he had all his photos in soft focus and Ra-ra-Rasputin Russia's greatest love machine had an impossibly large man chicken.

Tell me she wasn't wrong about everything. Tell me my childhood wasn't a complete lie.

// wrings hands in angst

23. MomentOfTriumph

Jan 12, 2000
    FACT: paul hardcastle did the music to changing rooms

24. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    Fact: Paul Hardcastle's hairdo looked like a microphone

25. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    TTG - Ra-ra-Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine... did in fact have a large member. Whe he was assassinated (shot, stabbed, posioned and bludgeoned), the murderers cut it off as a final insult. It is rumoured to be in a jar somewher still. But was he Russia's greatest love machine - what about Catherine the Great - she copped off with horses. Because her army wasn't enough for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.