main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Frederick Pohl's The Heechee Saga

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Strilo , Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Has anyone read this series of books? It starts with the fantastic Gateway, which I think is quite an interesting and original science fiction idea. The other books, if memory serves, are Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, Heechee Rendezvous, Annals of the Heechee and apparently a new one I was unaware of: The Boy Who Would Live Forever. There is also a collection of short stories in the series called The Gateway Trip. Anyone else read this series?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No, what's it about?

3. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Gateway is brilliant! One of the most original SF books I ever read (and I've read quite a bit ;) ) Al the psicological stuff is amazing.
    The other ones, well, they don't have the same flavor. They're not bad, but they lack something compared to the first.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    A synopsis of the plot (with some spoilers) of the series can be found here on Wikipedia.

5. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I read Gateway a little while ago. Nice stuff... good world building, I think. :)

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think Gateway is far more interesting and original than 90% of the stupid sci-fi stories in film today. They should take the money they give to a film like Red Planet and give it to someone to make Gateway instead.

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Mmm. I agree... if you're going to make SF movies, *please*, make it good SF! Honestly. Aren't there any execs with taste? :p

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The plot of Gateway is something I've never seen on screen before. It's something I don't recall reading anywhere else. I think it would make a great film. Maybe someday I'll have to make it. :)

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Heechee! I know that name.

I think I read two or three Gateways books, but apart from some very pleasant time reading about a character in a nursery type environment, I don't remember anything.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL nursery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.