main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Free Beer and Naked Chicks...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dezion-Karr, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Aside from my friend's incredibly distasteful idea for a thread name... we (Lots and I) wanted to show you the latest image and thought people might come and look.

The items forementioned are inside the ship. *Sigh

Lots did the model and image. I'm the director.

The polygon lines and lack of textures are being corrected, what we're looking for here is comments on the lighting and background.

Thanks,
    (my apologies to the ladies, and for getting anyone excited just to let them down. Good thing I don't drink. :p)

~DK~

(Mods, if my title is unwanted, sorry... it's a joke... a bad joke... I'll shut up now.)

2. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm not a 3D guy (though I hope to become one), but that looks really good. I can't wait to see the final version.

Keep up the good work.

3. whereshansolo

whereshansolo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2002
    Yeah That s Awesome. I remember seeing th eclip a while ago with just the grey background. keep up the good work.

A little of topic but did storm ahead come out or is it still in production. ive been on a ong vacation.

4. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    wheres the beer, the chicks, damn it you fooled me again, anyway, the image looks cool, very cool, well done

5. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    Sorry to disappoint. :D

~DK~

6. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    okay, I -AM- a 3d guy, so let me give you some tips.

1) Nice Lighting - good rig for the time of day you intended (early morning/late afternoon?)

2) Keep some of the polygon lines. A lot of people make the mistake of making their Star Wars ships too smooth. I saw one guy who made a "New Jedi Starfighter" he said was supposed to be Obi-Wan's next ship. It was basically a flatened potato with warped cookies for wings. You'll notice that VERY FEW ships in Star Wars are rounded or smooth. I'm not an expert in anything EU (i'm a purist - movies only), but I believe that only Naboo ships are smoothed. I like this design.

3) It needs a greater sense of scale. Make things like the cockpit window smaller, and the loading ramp wider and less thick. Put an astromech droid standing somewhere near it so we can tell how big it is.

Looks good, keep us posted!

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    DANG YOU!! Where are the naked chicks?

JUST KIDDING

Very nice work. I like the lightwrapping effect and everything. Good eye. The ship looks nice. I can't think of any advice to give you other than to texture that bad boy.

8. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well the concept sketches of the ship were a happy combination of flat and smoothness.. when i modeled the ship i tried to keep true to the concept artist's various concepts.. the ship is actually a combination of all the concepts drawn ..

anyway thanx for the comments ;)

9. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The ship looks great.
    The facets on the sides as the hull transitions to wing seem a little out of place. Maybe the corners should be smoothed a bit or something.

Only other suggestion would be to make the windows larger and improve the ship's interior lighting so we can see what's inside. ;)

Have fun.

10. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    Pixelito ~

As far as ship design... we're trying to stay as original as possible with everything in our fanfilm. We're taking a "george" approach to making it... meaning that we'll make the shot a little longer if it means showing one, small thing (ie. an animal, etc). Kind of along the lines of "Give everything a life, even if you only see it for one second." So our ship and everything else have many varying designs. Thanks for the input :)

~DK~

11. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    I must congratulate you on getting my attention very quickly! :p

I'm not 3D expert, but it looks good to me. I think the ship should be a lit brighter mostly on the rear... I think.

But don't listen to me, get advice from people who know what they're talking about.

12. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    That's a cool ship.

As for the thread title ...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that ..."

13. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    MMMMMMMMMMM this is good beer............:D

14. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Great job! I think the lighting looks good. I'd like to see the final product.

15. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    The background is gorgeous. I may have missed it, but what film is this for? I can't wait to see it.

16. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    Brian ~

We haven't released any details on our film yet. We plan to soon... stay posted (tuned, whatever... :p)

We're happy a lot of people are interested.
    :)
    ~DK~

17. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    oh my god, make a movie NOW! I want to see that lighting in action.

18. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    *runs inside the ship*

19. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I, as well, am a 3d guy.

I like the lighting, it seems to match the background image, more or less.

I appreciate that you have to give the ship some hard angles, smooth isn't always the way to go, but the ship is just screaming 3d to me. You need to split the polygons on the side of the ship, smooth it out a little. The frontal, booster wing thing is far too angular in my opinion. Other then that its a very cool design. Good job.

Kol.

20. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    *Follows greves in from behind*
    *Grabs greves foot while he is leaping onto the ship*
    *Jumps over greves as his chin smashes on the entrance ramp*
    *Goes into the ship*

To be continued... :D

Carl

21. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    keep in mind everything is not textured.. with textures the angles you speak of (where the wing meets the ship..) will not be so apparent..

EDIT: The background is not a separate picture.. its actually some fractal textures generated on a gradient background.. granted i didnt use any lighting information from the background (like i could have if i used radiosity to render..) so there was some light and background color matching to do

22. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I wasn't talking about the part where the wing meets the ship. If you want me to I can email you an illustration of what I'm talking about.

-Kol.

P.S. Not an image eh? Very cool.

23. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Hahahahahahah! I have read the beta and the final versions of your script! I'm above all of you :).

Great work Lots, as always, and I cant wait till this crap goes down.

~Neszis~

24. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    (Actually, we're making some changes to the script :D)

Nothing major... but anyway, thanks for all the replys.

Peace

~DK~

25. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    *gets up and uses force heal*
    *whips out lightsaber*
    *fights Carl*
    *wins*
    *puts carl into one of those holding things obi was in on AOTC*
    *tells carl "it may be hard to secure your release"*
    *runs inside the ship and steals all the girls*