Free Comic Book Day 2007

Discussion in 'Evansville, IN' started by Darth_TKD, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. des0late Jedi Knight

star 1
    i believe it will be okay at the school i know a few of the teachers pretty good.. but i am going to ask the owners of the place we are eating if it is okay for me to dress as vader when we eat..
  2. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    According to Rebelscum
  3. yoda_pimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    At least somebody stepped up to the plate with a FCBD giveaway. I just hate the 25 to a store limit, because I want one also.
  4. comicquestguy Jedi Padawan

Hi Everybody...just ran across this thread this morning and thought I would answer a couple of questions...first, this year we will open the doors to the public at 9am for reasons far too complicated to address here. Anyone can come in and set up or change into costume at least as early as 8am. Since you guys are helping with this event I will just donate the FCBD Star War minis to you guys and you can keep what you want for the club and give away any that are left over to that special walk-in FCBD person that you want to impress. Maybe we can have you guys give away some other Star Wars item or at the very least the Bab 5 giveaway book at your table. We are advertising the event to last from 9-4pm but as someone else related...almost half the people will come early and be there in the first hour or so. If things get slow after 2pm or so and some people need to leave that is no problem at all. My recommendation is for you guys to try and think of something to get people recruited to attend one of your meetings or get-togethers. Often the trick is to get someone to come to one event and then you have another member. CQ will take care of drinks and a moderate lunch so don't worry about bringing food. If anyone has any other questions feel free to e-mail me at sales@comicquest.com. If a stormtrooper gets there early it might be fun for one of them to go out and act like they are keeping hordes in line...our customers would eat that up!
    Thanks again for your participation. Jim

Jim Jones
    Comic Quest
  5. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a question for the group. Can we bring 501St and Rebel Legion material? I've got some "fun pages" and a stormtrooper target.
  6. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks Jim for the info, and all your help. We're all looking forward to it.

Chuck--I say go for it. The more SW stuff we have, the better
  7. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    Ok, we're going to do some heavy-duty planning for FCBD at the GM on April 14. So, everyone please bring with you your schedules, so I can know when you plan on being there. Also, bring any ideas for our table with you, or else let me know via the boards or PM. Anyone who can't come to the meeting, let me know ASAP when you can be at FCBD. The main event will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  8. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I will be there by 8:30am to suit up and get things organized. Be there all day.

I'll bring the acrylic sign holder (8x11) and possibly an R2-D2-Dome. I will also have tons of CIV ad cards from GenCon LLC to give away.

As for the raffle and giveaway, I will bring some Star Wars comics and my trading cards to go with whatever we are raffling off. :)
  9. Mike-El Jedi Knight

star 3
    Since the next Costuming Club is the day before FCBD we decided to postpone it, then I had the idea that we could still have it but also set-up the table so we won't be so rushed on Saturday.

This all just a possibility since we haven't decided on what exactly is going down. I would, however, bring what you would normally set-up for the event to the GM since it wouldn't be feasible for you to make a special trip just to drop off what we may need for it.

DarthPupmind has an impressive lightsaber collection that we can have on display on one of our tables. It's 7-8 Master Replica lightsabers that will definately draw attention to us.

We checked and CQ has a lockable case for them.

Hopefully if we all agree then our members just need to show up and our costumed members just need to suit-up for it.

What time does CQ close on a Friday?
  10. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    That's a good idea, but it may not work. Comic Quest probably won't want us to set-up while they're still open, as the game room will still be in use. I'm not sure if they'd let you guys stay after close or not, but they don't close until midnight. Jim has said that the time reserved for set-up is before opening on FCBD itself, and that sounds to me the best time to do it. At least some people will have to be there early anyway to help the costumers suit up. I'll check with Jim to see what our options are, though, and we'll talk about it at the GM.

Either way, I'll be down there Friday night anyway, so if we do it then, I'll be there too.
  11. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Maybe we can all come it late, say a few hours before close, and offer to not only set up our tables, but help with all of the tables they would be willing to let us do it.

Judging by last Friday, it won't be very packed. We shouldn't have to kick too many nerds to the curb. ;)
  12. Mike-El Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thats what I was thinking, if Chuck and Jim are ok with it, is to have the meeting, go get something to eat, then come back and do as Cole mentioned above.

Fridays are date nights for the gamers, or so it seems, and doesn't seem to attract much of a crowd. I could see how students would use it to study, it's that quiet.

As for kicking to the curb, you may have that fancy armor but they have 20 sided dice and if they roll a 20 and kick yer armored buttocks you will feel the effects of the crit you noobz, roxorz!

Did I say that right? With plus 5 damage?
  13. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I just sent off for official 501st approval. The announcement should follow, but all of our troops should already know whats going on.

I actually plan on being there at 8am now to get suited up and troop around a bit.
  14. TK-1945 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hokey wizardry and 20 sided die are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. :p
  15. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, speeking of miniatures, again if you all want a diorama or a model or something, just let me know!

Jammies
  16. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    Definitely! That'll attract quite a bit of attention. Are you going to be able to attend FCBD yourself?
  17. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm going to try. If I am not able to come into town, I'll give someone directions, or my dear sweet mother (care taker of the Jammies Star Wars model exibt) can loan you all one. BUT, if I can, I got a kick ass (4feet by 4 feet) Tatooine Dio I am working on for a minis game for a buddy's bachlaer (spl?) party.
  18. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    What better entertainment could you possible have at a bachelor party than a SW miniature game...

:)
  19. Mike-El Jedi Knight

star 3
    A Slave Leia stripper. [face_dancing]
  20. yoda_pimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    Amen brother! If we had that at FCBD, we would really get attention.
  21. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    I talked to Jim recently about FCBD and the orange barrel (I reported about the barrel in the appropriate thread). As I suspected, they've got too much going on Friday night to allow us to set-up then--it'll have to all be done on Saturday morning. He said if coming in at 8 wasn't going to give us enough time, he'd make sure to have someone there earlier to let us in. I told him we'd just plan on going inside at 8. Honestly, I think that'll be enough time. If anyone thinks we need more time, please say so. Basically, all this means is we need as many people as possible to be there at 8, so that we have enough hands to get everything done.
  22. WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Master

star 4
    I won't be at the meeting tomorrow, so I wanted to throw out a coupla ideas, and they may seem obvious:

It will be important to draw attention to our table, so we can promote the club.
    - We should see if we can give away the BSG comic at our table exclusively
    - We should have all of the super-cool stuff to look at (as mentioned previously)
    - Cole mentioned the SW comics and trading cards, which is great!
    - I can donate some action figures to the cause for the raffle, but we need some more and bigger stuff if possible.
    - We need to take down and keep names, numbers and emails for the raffle as well a people who are interested in the club. We need to follow up with these folks to verify their interest.
    - Signs and flyers, of course are very important.

All just suggestions, please discuss.

For the record, I should be there between 8:30 and 9:00.
  23. yoda_pimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it would be neat to have a photo on hand of Vader and some troopers that can be signed by our costumed guys. They can sign as Darth Vader (if he is there) and whatever TK number applies. The kids would eat that up. My jedi and Vader that I am bringing by would get such a huge kick out of that. I had something like it when I was a kid. I went to a promotion at a store in my early childhood and got a signed Vader photo and one of some jawas. It leaves a lasting impression, just look at me now!
  24. DarthPupmind Jedi Padawan

I mentioned donating a Vader standee for the raffle. Its not in the greatest shape, so I think I'll offer a .45 scale MR saber instead. Vader ANH, Anakin ROTS, or Sidious?
  25. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    That's very generous of you! Definitely don't feel pressured to do this, but if you want to give one away, we're very grateful. I think the Vader would be the most recognizable, and the most marketable, since we've got Vader himself there. But, whichever one you want to give away is fine. Thanks again!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.