main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Free Comic Book Day - Sat May 7th

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I decided to start a new thread on this event since I can't change the incorrect date on the old thread.

This recent article on theforce.net reminded me about it again. Here's also the original article on Free Comic Book Day.

The correct details are: Saturday, May 7th, 2005
    Location to be determined.

*snip*
    moved volunteer list lower down in the thread.
    *snip*

As for location, I still haven't gotten out to All Heroes to pick up my comics (yet another thing I have to do before CIII...) so I haven't spoken to anyone about this event yet.

Would the folks that are interested post here with their location preference? Even though I love All Heroes it's a very small location. I'm now leaning towards Village Gate as there is a lot of open space outside of Comics Etc that is still indoors where we could set-up. I do know that the Book Rack in Henrietta got a lot of business last year as they got themselves in the paper (and on the news too I think). But, there's nothing saying we can't do that for Comics Etc too if they're interested in having us.

~Doc_Bev

2. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Yea i'd be willing to contact Darren Mark if you guys are up for that

3. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I know Chris from the Book Rack...we talk DC every Saturday.

4. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    OK I'd like to work on contacting a store for this event this week (in other words before the meeting).

We have 1 vote for Village Gate and 1 for Book Rack. What are other folks thoughts? I suppose if we really were ambitious we could do both places, but I'd like to start with 1 place first.

~Doc_Bev

5. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    I'm sure we'd be good for anyplace. But being a bit selfish, we by books at the book rack all the time so I guess my vote would be there (if he'd have us)

6. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm going in to buy comics tomorrow. I can talk to Chris and find out if he has any plans? The last I heard he MIGHT be having a Superman look-alike come in because of all the stuff going on in DC comics lately. Let me know.

7. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    That would be great!

I can't say that I'm to familiar with Book Rack's location. If it is a nice day - I'm sure that we could mill around outside.

If however it is a rainy day, how would we do on space?
    I for one am not interested in seeing what happens to a wet wookiee. :)

8. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    It's in the same plaza as Millenium but over in the other arm (facing Abbotts) & has a covered sidewalk.

9. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    OK - Let's go with the Book Rack.
    I will try to give them a call today, but Wingnut if you want to talk to him too while you're there that's fine too.

~Doc_Bev

10. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Book rack makes sense I guess. I would rather be out side if its decent enough.

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I just got off the phone with Chris at the Book Rack. I will be stopping by the store as soon as I can with some pictures and fliers so that he can see what our groups are about. And, we'll discuss how we can contribute to Free Comic Book day. He did mention that he will have a Superman there, but it sounds like he's OK with having us there as well. He mentioned maybe setting up outside since his store is on the small side.

~Doc_Bev

12. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Finally got the chance to head over to the Book Rack today and talk with Chris. Here are some of the highlights:

They are open 10am-6pm. Ideally we should be there 9:30am-1pm, but could stay longer if interested.

His main concern with the costumes was to make sure there was a variety and that they were recognizable. He specifically pointed to HothGirl's Leia in the photo I brought from the Sat. afternoon TRU event from April 2nd.

He has been in contact with Darren Mark (who did a story on Book Rack last year for Free Comic Book Day) and will contact him again to confirm that SW characters will be there.

We'll need to bring a table to put fliers on, but we have plenty of those so that won't be a problem.

So is this still an accurate list?
    (updated 05/06 at 6:45pm)

Definites:
    Doc_Bev
    T_StarFlyer
    TX4277
    SWF-JPB (after 11am)
    TD-027
    KnightShade (after work)

Tentatives:
    RSWingnut
    DarSolo
    Diane

Unavailable:
    BlueRoommate
    HothGirl
    Adam R.

Anyone else interested? Does any one have any comments, concerns, suggestions or ideas of something we could do while we were there (other than hand out fliers and have our photos taken).

~Doc_Bev

13. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    DEfinate here DarSolo Tentitive

14. BlueRoommate

BlueRoommate Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2002
    I'm a definate no on this one. It's registration day for college, and a BBQ for my sis and her new husband, both of whom are being shipped to korea in the end of may. I can only be in 2 places at once, soo.....

15. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I can not make it until noon. I get out of work at 11am. If we do not get a truck that day then earlier like maybe 9:30. Wont know until that day though.

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    *bump*

I updated the volunteer list - let me know if there are any corrections I should be making to it.

~Doc_Bev

17. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    Nicky I can do the 7th. In the Afternoon evening is no good. Thanks-

Duane-

18. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    howbout the morning ;-)

19. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    YUP! Hey Tom, Do you have a copy of the Morning News with Darren Mark?

20. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    yea we taped it, came out a bit crappy, i'll see if Daria didn't tape over it yet. I know Nicky was trying to get a copy on disc from someone on Rebelscum I think

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    *bump*
    Reminder - this is tomorrow morning/afternoon. I've confirmed with Chris at The Book Rack just now - so we're all set to go! I've reprinted some of the fliers we've gotten low on and if I can find where I stashed them I might bring along some of the coloring sheets that were left over from TRU toy release.

Does anyone have a small hand-held dry erase board about the size of a piece of paper? If so, please PM/call me as I think one would be helpful for tomorrow.

If for nothing else folks should head on out to see Superman. The Book Rack is supposed to have a Christopher Reeve look-a-like that I'm really looking forward to seeing. [face_love]

~Doc_Bev

22. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Nicky, we have a coca cola one, & where checking to see if we have a plain one, we'll post again

Update yep we have a plain one it's a bout 8 x 10

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Cool! Tom - if you could bring that along with you that would be great. I'm going to try to see if I can use it to make matching the pictures with the emails a little easier.

~Doc_Bev

24. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Got all the pictures from this event posted. I haven't even started on sending out the emailed requests, but there weren't too many of them so I'm sure I can get to those before the parade.

~Doc_Bev

25. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    The Bookrack posted a few of thier own pictures too.

The Bookrack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.