main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Free Comic Day.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by PreludeRM, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Hey just to let everybody know Free Comic Day went pretty good. The 501st were out with Vader, 2 Stormtroopers, Jango Fett, and an Imperial Officer(with a bad british accent). Myself, Lexial, and Veritate were handing out flyers I printed up. I don't know what I was thinking only printing about 60 slips. Those lasted an hour maybe.
    Oh well. we'll plan better next time.
    So if anybody dropped by Free Comic Day let us know what you thought.

Ryan

2. Nite_shift

Nite_shift Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Good to hear, i was going to show up but i never got out of bed until about 3pm :)

3. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Which location was this? And don't say it was the Comic-Kazi, that was around noon, and they were selling some Star Wars toys @ half price. And then there were the free comics....limited to only one per person.

Personally, I found free-comic day to be very disheartening, since some stores were "scrooges", about giving away free comics.
    In about five years, the next comic book generation will be seriously diminished.
    So give them away now for free and hook'em for as long as they can.

Greedy bastards.

By the way next, record and comic fair is June 5 @ the U of C.

Happy Spending!?!

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Yes it was Comic-Kazi, and yes we were around there at noon. Really why complain about free stuff. I guess your entitled to. If you have did a little research about what free comic book day is then you will know that store are shipped a certian amount of comics only. So giving out only one per person is allowed. That way aleast evrybody who stops by that day will get one. Not like some greedy people that have to have them all,(just cause they are free). The main point of my post was not about the comics. It was what were peoples reaction to the 501st and us handing out the flyers. Hopefully the draw to our site and the fanforce was a positive thing. Everybody I talked to thought it was really cool to have a fanforce all about starwars.

Ryan

5. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005

I'm all for supporting "fanforce", especially a Star Wars related one, and giving out flyers is a great idea, however, I also believe that highlighting the organisation ought to be in junction with a note worthy and public event. Comic book day is one of them.

I, however, take offence with comic shops that undermine the intent of a "Free", comic book day. Some stores did not support giving away free comics, and also, priced and sold them.

Though, Comic-Kazi was not among them, I do believe in a day that celebrates and supports the medium.

Getting attention to a Star Wars organization takes work, and a certain amount of sacrifice, this means making other items, buttons and perhaps t-shirts.

The question is, "who does that?'

6. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm for making swag, and have thought of using www.cafepress.com to that end.

However we can't use copyrighted images or words and I dont think we can technically make a profit.

Ideas?

7. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    To the making of swag, could probably get away with "Toshi Station" in a star wars logo font, and technically, could make t-shirts for ourselves. And offer them to new and potential members, it's only when selling them on a mass-produced scale does the trouble come. It's non-profit for most organizations and clubs.

whisperjedi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.