main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Free Comics Day?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    from here, via DHC message boards.

Plans for the May 4th, 2002 Free Comic Book Day event continue between Diamond, retailers and (so far) the ‘big four’ publishers, and more specific details are beginning to take shape. Newsarama has learned DC, Marvel, Image and Dark Horse have worked out the preliminary plans as to what free comic book they will offer during the event, with some details still to be finalized.

DC has decided to offer a full reprint of Justice League Adventures #1, the new series based on the new Cartoon Network animated program.

“We thought it would be good to show as many recognizable characters as possible in a self-contained story,” explained DC’s Bob Wayne. Justice League Adventures #1 seemed the logical choice, with the extra recognition from the tie-in WB Animation series on Cartoon Network.”

Though the details have not been finalized, Marvel, who had an interesting choice to make considering the event is scheduled for the day after the premiere of the highly-anticipated Spider-Man film, choose a “full color reprint of Ultimate Spider-Man #1”, but minus the original cardstock cover and likely on a different grade paper stock.

A representative for the publisher says current plans call for ads to be included in the book promoting the Ultimate Spider-Man trade paperbacks (two volumes which collect issues #1-13 of the series – a ‘Collected Edition’ of issues #1-3 will be re-offered for sale in March), as well as other Marvel products and the 1-888 Comic Book Locator service.

Image Comics is going with its probably most recognizable pop-culture character, Tomb Raider, though a choice between reprints of Tomb Raider/Witchblade #1/2 and Tomb Raider #1/2 (a Lara Croft origin story) is still to be decided.

Image’s Jim Valentino said either way, their contribution will be a book in the 24-page range and though both possible contributions come from Top Cow, the free book will feature ads highlighting a range of Image Comics products representing them as a company.

Finally, the first of the original participants to offer a brand new comic will be Dark Horse. The publisher will offer a 16-page, all-new Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones story. The story is being created for DHC’s Star Wars Tales #12, but as of May 4th, the Free Comic Book Day version will be its initial publication.

The timing of the event is fortuitous for DHC as well as for Marvel has Star Wars: Episode 2 opens 12 days later on May 16th.

All the books will likely feature a unifying Free Comic Book Day trade dress.

Look for more details on the event as they become available.

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Great. :(

The ONLY place I can even get comics in this danged town is Waldenbooks, and they are always at LEAST 2 weeks late. And I don't even live in a small town! Every single comic shop in my area has closed down!

3. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    We don't have comic book shops here in England.... at least not where I live.....

4. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    ooooooooooo...thank you for the heads up!!
    I will have to ask my comic shop guy about this.

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "We don't have comic book shops here in England.... at least not where I live....."

I think you can say this for the whole Europe, and probably the rest of the world... Except the US of course and maybe Canada... And maybe Japan. :(

6. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    hey, if you live in england...try a big waterstones bookshop...they often sell comics...lots of libraries have them to borrow as well...

7. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    I can get graphic novels ok, but I don't get 'em in comic book form.

8. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Does anyone know when the Twilight TPB is coming out? it was due on Dec 18 but never released.

9. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Twilight TPB is out. I have a copy on my shelf..picked it up the 23rd.

10. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Ottakars are also good for comic books in England. The Milton Keynes branch is at any rate (Go MK!). Ahem. :p

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Does anyone know if you will be able to "order" them in advance from Diamond Previews or something similar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.