main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Free Editor...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Fremen, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    I was wondering if anyone, knew of a free editing program that is good.

;)
    Kyle

2. Starbux

Starbux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    What kind of editing?

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Notepad is good for text files. 8-}

Have fun.

4. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Video editing, putting clips together, and adding audio. And music.

;)
    Kyle

5. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002

Unfortunatly the best free editing software I have seen to date is the windows movie maker.

Moonz

6. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    AIST puts out a very nice free editor for Windows.

Kino is great on linux.

Don't know about Mac.
    -Lokmer

7. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Thx, everyone for your help. I do have MGI VideoWave, but either it sux, or I sux. And we all know the answer to that now don't we? :p

;)
    Kyle

8. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002

Well I suck...and I have videowave as well trust me.....It sucks 2.

Moonz

9. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    QuickTime Pro is only $60 and it lets you do exactly what you just listed.

Not quite free, but close, plus it runs on Mac and PC.

Have fun.

10. CoruscantCrisis

CoruscantCrisis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2001
    Magix Video Deluxe is around $50 and isn't that bad either.

11. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    If you have a Mac then iMovie is free and pretty good. I use it for all of my 'rough cut' work, straight after capturing the source footage. It's really simple to use to.

12. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Yes I found iMovie quite good at raw, rough cut editing. Very fast and simple. Heck I edited a whole 20 minute surf video with it once and it turned out fabulous.

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I've heard that one can edit just about anything on Quicktime Pro, even a feature length film. Quicktime would be a good start.

I just got Adobe premiere 6.0 so I'm learning on that now (even though I've worked on more advanced systems in the past, like the Avid).

14. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Cool, thx guys, I don't mind spending that much money on an editor. So, Quicktime is the way to go, then? I shall look at it. Thx again.

Does quicktime have, transitions and things like that? Becasue I would like a easy to use editor, but complex in the things it can do.

;)
    Kyle

15. vanpuyer8

vanpuyer8 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    the best is Adobe Premire

16. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    You can find Premiere 5.0 and 6.0 on ebay for a hundred or so dollars. I found a great deal on a 5.0 academic version that was only $50 when all was said and done. :)

Chris

17. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    So AP, would give me all the complexity of transitions, and other things along those lines, and advanced editing options, and its easy to understand?

;)
    Kyle

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Quicktime Pro is no good for editing. It will physically do it, but it's right up there with After Effects in terms of painful ways to go about doing stuff.

I still don't know what system you have, but judging by your desire to find a cheap editing app' I can only assume you don't have a Mac, otherwise you would already be using iMovie.

Doesn't a PC come with the mighty Windoze Movie Maker or something? I may be wrong, but I thought Jedi Master Dude uses that you edit Duck Wars on?

If you have the money then yes, go for Adobe Premiere, or one Avene swears by Vegas Video. Media Studio Pro is another good one to look at (you can do quite a lot of stuff besides editing with MSP) But certainly I wouldn't recommend using Quicktime Pro for editing, you'll get very old very quickly if you try...

19. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Same with Windows Movie Maker. That thing is crap. Kudos to JMD if he used it to make Duck Wars.

20. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, I shalt looketh at AP. 50 bucks might not be too bad. Only 2 weeks of mowing the lawn. :D

;)
    Kyle

21. SPFXman04

SPFXman04 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    There is a free editor for windows called ABC Video Roll. I do not have it but it is supposed to be alright.

22. darthsaber10

darthsaber10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2001
    well if you have a mac and about an hour of free-time you can search google for an older version of iMovie the is cached somewhere....I found a copy for a friend....

23. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    iMovie is great...

As a side note, i use it for all my capturing, and let me tell you, iMovie captures FAR better than premiere, which is, well, disgusting.

I can't stand the billions of artifacts premiere adds in that just aren't there, but rather are placed by nice sharp crisp lines in imovie... it is infinately better.

For editing purposes though, Premiere, in my opinion, is just so simple, and does things so obvious that it isn't tough to learn at all, but an extremely powerful program...

For the time being (like, the next few years) premiere will always have my vote for editing, but NEVER for capturing.

Cya
    Mike

24. darthsaber10

darthsaber10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2001
    I have premiere...Iactually never liked it...mostly becuase I can never make up my mind and so I want to be able to preview something....but of course rendering out on premiere is ok if you only want to preview once a week...lol.....and dragging the slider just isn't my thing.....

25. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, by capturing you mean, pluggin your camcorder in and taking video from it right? But AP is good, for just taking clips that you download off the internet, from other movies. And putting them together, yah?

;)
    Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.