main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Free game] Alien Swarm via Steam

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    We have a Steam username list in the Gamer ID thread, might be handy.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Beat the campaign on Hard today with some RL friends, and wow ... it's pretty tough. The last mission is especially unforgiving - it took us three tries, with some single dumb mistake or another dooming us on each failed run. Either we lingered too long at a spawn point and got overwhelmed, or the medic ran out of heal charges and we died to parasites, or someone strayed too far from the group and got eaten, or (at the last leg) someone ran too fast and triggered all the spawns which then owned the rest of the group, and then got eaten by the swarms at the Bloodhound. Man. We all got noticeably better after each failed run because we had to be - you just can't make mistakes. Accidental friendly fire means more work for the medic, means more heal charges expended, means less available for when someone gets a parasite ... all the little mistakes add up. Big mistakes, like straying from the group, can doom you instantly.

Insane is worse; there are parasites on the first mission. :oops:

All in all, a fascinatingly challenging game. Not all that much replayability - I've got a little over 7 hours logged and I'm not sure I care to keep going and really perfect my play for an Insane run - but it's fun. More fun than a lot of paid games I've played.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    FWIW, I'm Queen Crimson. If you're not sure then check your friends list as it lists other people in the same groups as you and you'll find me under the forum group.

I was doing a run through the destroy the eggs level and things went really badly. I'd said to stick with this one guy but someone went off. I could see him but couldn't get to him to drop a heal beacon, and he couldn't get to me either. Bad tiems. :( I've never been able to get past that level. Maybe with some of the JC crew who'll help come up with an epic plan and then stick to it . .

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah sorry about leaving that game then - it really was midnight, and I really did need to head off. :(

I'll be up for another run with you guys though. Have gotten pretty decent at the game now. :D

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Went through almost a full game today. Couldn't quite make it past the final map, though, and the rest of the group left before we could take it on again. Quite enjoyable, though. Certainly excellent quality for a free game.

6. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Just downloaded it and joined the JC group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.