main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Free Harry Potter OOTP in IMAX screening.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jerseyyoda, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    JY, I can't go, so I'm not on the list, but I just want to say YOU ROCK for doing all this for the LAFF! =D=

2. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Huh? (said in a high valley girl voice)

yeah I think it's time for JY to step in here. Plus he *cough*workedonepisode2*cough*;)

I can't believe you got all those tickets, way to throw your weight around! Now let's hope we don't embarass you.

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I would like to also thank JY for doing this for the group. I would like to remind everyone to be on their best behavior as people from JY job will be there. I'm sure everyone will be, but just saying it to be sure.

4. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks JY, you rock!=D= Does anyone have an address? Since Culver City is on the way home for me, I'll just go there straight after work.

5. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    JY,
    This is incredible gracious and thoughtful of you to let us particpate in your company's event. Thank you so much! =D=

Everyone, what time should we meet up at the theatres? 6? 6:15? (??)

6. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Since I'm coming from beyond the Outer Rim area, and not at all familliar with the LA area, I need an address, please. MapQuest is my friend!

Thank you, JY!! You're wonderful for doing this!!![:D]

7. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    YAY! THANKS, JY!

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I also need an address for MapQuest. Thanks JY for doing this!

Also, my earlier comment about getting a ride still stands....

9. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Well I won't MapQuest it for everyone but I will give you the link to the website of the location which is called

THE BRIDGE: Cinema de Lux
    6081 Center Drive
    The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
    24-Hour Phone 310-568-3375

It is right off the 405 just south of the 10. There are some pretty big buildings at the complex one of which says Sony another says Pepperdine University and I think another says Univision (though they could have moved out). Once you get there park at the Promenade it's the mall across from those buildings just mentioned. You will see Islands restaurant Borders bookstore and on the top level is the food court and theater.

Here is the link to the theater.

The Bridge

Here is a link to the Promenade at Howard Hughes

Howard Hughes

As for a time I'm going to leave work at 5pm and get there at about 5:30.

10. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I'll be leaving straight from work, I get off at 3. But Anaheim to LA might take some time. And I'll need to change. If I'm early, shopping is always an option ;)

11. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Okay, I've figured out a bus route, but's way too long (four hours...) and I'd have to pay three different fares. The ONLY way I'm going is if I get a ride. Picking me up at anytime from 2:45 onward would be fine. I'm seriously counting on you, guys. I really want to go, but if I can't, I won't complain. I'll still see it, but I was really hoping to see it with you. PM me if you can give me a ride and I'll give you the details (address, route, etc.). Hopefully this will work out, although things are looking grim at the moment.

12. Jedi_Devi

Jedi_Devi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2003
    Woo! This is right in my area as I go to the Bridge all the time for my movies anyway. I am still in, and thank you SO MUCH for this opportunity, JY! It's very kind of you to think of the Fan Force.

13. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks, JY! It's so cool of you to do this for us.

JN, if you want to ride with me, I was thinking of leaving the homestead around 4-4:30 to allow for traffic. Let me know.

14. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Hey DH, how about a 2-for-1? JF will drive to my house and we'll leave from there? I'll make sure I'm back in Pasadena by about 3:45. If this doesn't work for you, I'll drive behind ya all the way to CCity!

15. jerseyyoda

jerseyyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2007
    OK, I got a lot of tickets to people yesterday, but there's still plenty more that I'm not yet sure how to get to people as I will probably be inside at my seat by a certain point. Especially if anyone is running late. I'll see about will call at the ticket window.

So, I think I will finally try and wrap my head around the IMAX misinformation and reply.

First, to JJ: IMAX ratio is 1.43:1, not 4:3 (1.33:1). 4:3 and 16:9 are video ratios different from film. Many films (not sure what normal is) have a 1.85:1 ratio and many have a 2.35:1 ratio which is much wider. After AOTC, which was cropped at 1.8:1 (there was no digital recomposition done), ALL films have been essentially "letterboxed" to their proper aspect ratios.

ES: 3D is a very nice extra that has been done twice (Superman & HP5) but there is a lot more to IMAX DMR. After debunking the pan&scan myth I will add that the film is put through a digital remastering process that degrains and sharpens and enhances the film before it is transferred to 65mm 15 perf negative where each frame is 10 TIMES bigger than a 35mm frame and then blown up to the 7 story screen. The picture is night and day to the 35mm version.

OK, I hope that helps a bit to clear up the technical end of things. TO those of you who that was just mumbo-jumo...IMAX is a HUGE SCREEN with HUGE SOUND and BLOWS AWAY the regular theatres. Go check it out!

16. jerseyyoda

Mar 22, 2007
    Also, three have cancelled so one more went to JM, leaving one, and if MZ doesn't end up hitchhiking; CB looks like you can bring your two friends.

17. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    JY--Wait, so you're saying that the letterbox is now preserved (unlike the last movie I saw in IMAX, The Lion King)? So, it is *not* cropped at all?
    Please answer about HP5 as this will vastly change my opinion about how willing I am to see it.

And yeah, I knew about the huge film and such. I grew up with the Omnitheater (at the St. Paul Science Museum), okay, I'm not blown away by IMAX unless it's in that 5-story retractable dome, the hinges of which the entire museum had to be built around. ;D (They only show the educational IMAX stuff--but seriously, it looks AMAZING in there)

18. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Thank you!!! Now I understand!

19. jerseyyoda

Mar 22, 2007
    ES - Lion King was preserved as well. Most Disney animated films are 1.66:1 which almost matches IMAX's 1.43:1. It was letterbox with very slight bars.

HP5 is 2.35:1 letterbox in IMAX and looks INCREDIBLE! Even after 47 viewings. (That number is not exaggerated!)

20. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    JN, sounds fine. I'll call you tomorrow before I leave. I won't be home until close to 4-ish any way.

Oh, and JY, thanks for the clarification!

21. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I really am senile then, 'cause I could swear it was like fullscreen... :/
    ANYWAY, thanks so much! Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it that way.

22. jerseyyoda

Mar 22, 2007
    Yes, it IS ALMOST full screen. 1.34:1 is fullscreen, IMAX is 1.43:1, Disney is 1.66:1, standard theatres are 1.85:1. So, actually when you see Disney films in the theatres (regular 35mm theatres), they are cutting off picture top and bottom. So you saw more image in the IMAX. Scary, huh?

23. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'll be there around 5 since I work down the street in Manhattan Beach. If anyone has my number (or wants it) and gets there early, hit me up and we can grab an ice cream or something before the flick.

24. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    WOW, you totally just blew my mind. I NEVER KNEW. *grumbles that Devi probably knew this already/could've told me*

25. Jedi_Devi

Jedi_Devi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2003
    JY, where will everyone be meeting so everyone can get tickets and at what time?

ES - I actually didn't know that! :eek: I AM SHOCKED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.