So NV Free Money

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by DarthDarkstar, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok this has actually nothing to do with Free Money... in fact its a thread about books, but I figured if I put BOOKS in the subject line, only a few people would read it cause BOOKS doesnt strike an interesting Chord with everyone... yes I am evil and you all fell for my maniacal scheme...

ANYWAY.... I am a book whore now, I read 6 books since last Sunday, of all different genres and authors.. I'm curious if anyone here has one they can reccomend for me to read next. They can be action, suspsnse, Sci-fi, fantasy, horror... whatev...

I've read a couple of books by James Rollins, great author, then I read this guy Edward Lee (he's scary and freaky, but not scary in a spook you sort of way, but scary like he makes me think that he sleeps with Satan at night) his book was about hell ::shudder:: and I read an Alias book, thats right, an Alias book, a prequel to Vaughn about when he graduated college and his first mission in the CIA... um, I read something else... oh yeah THE RISING, it was a zombie book, very detailled and graphic and gross, but good, it was a wierd and origiinal way to make zombies though... and I'm now reading a book about a serial killer with mutiple personalities, "The girls he adored". GOOD BOOK!

ok so post and tell me about books I should read....
  2. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll tell you a book you should read if you have the time:

Insomnia by Stephen King

Holy crap is it good. King offers a whole new way to look at death and the afterlife. It's long, but once it gets it's hooks in you, you won't be able to put it down.
  3. Talon_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    A Wizard of Earthsea

by

Ursula K. LeGuin
  4. Axia_Euxine Jedi Master

star 4
    The Copper Crown by Patricia McKennealy, is it a fantasy Sci-FI blend and its one of the best series ever and one of only a handfull of books I have re-read.
  5. Talon_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    The Mind Hunters, by Mark Olshaker and John Douglas

This is non-fiction, and can be a bit graphic. John Douglas pioneered the science of 'profiling' in the FBI, and this book tells their story, as well as the stories of several real life serial killers. What is creepy is that the graphic parts actually happened. Find out such fun stuff like: What is the homicidal triad? And, why having this triad present in your youth indicates a likelyhood that you will grow up to KILL KILL KILL!!!

Once I started reading this book, I literally kept it with me and kept reading until I was done. I could not put it down!!!!!!!
  6. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    lets see...

the wheel of time series by robert jordan (currently 10 books in the series, 11 if you count new spring)

the dark tower series by stephen king (just amazingly written)

most of david eddings' works, including the belgariad, mallorean, elenium and tamuli series.

otherland by tad williams (4 books, near-future sci-fi, great stuff for internet junkies)

the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, by douglas adams (very funny stuff)

raymond feist's riftwar and serpentwar sagas (entertaining to say the least)

the death gate cycle by weis and hickman for something a little off the beaten fantasy path

i have more, but i highly reccomend these if you even have a small interest in sci-fi fantasy works...

7. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Holy crap, why didn't I think of Hitchhiker's Guide?!? You have to read that! Oh my gosh, it is the greatest Sci-Fi/Comedy series I've ever read!

Try to get the Hitchiker's Guide Trilogy edition with all five books in it! (That's right 5 books in this Trilogy)
  8. MrsJaggedFel Jedi Padawan

um.....I think you would really like....

Ender´s Game by Orson Scott Card...this is where I took the name Petra from (I know it´s been around other places, but I like the character from this book)

The Once and Future King by T.H. White this is the classic King Arthur book.....

Mists of Avalon...which is butt long....but so good... Axia will back me up....oh, and the movie made for it stars the ever so dreamy Michael Vartan as Lancelot....and the guy who played Danny.....p.s. the movie is not that great IMO....

if you haven´t read I, Jedi do it now!

this is on a different note but A Time To Kill by John Gresham is very good....pretty much, you can´t go wrong with Gresham......

I know you´re a boy and you think it´s unmanly but all of Jane Austen´s book are fantastic...but I´ll understand if you don´t pick those up.....

You must read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde....it´s my all time favorite book.... if you love me even a little you will read it.....

and if you haven´t read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or 1984 by George Orwell....shame on you!!! but do remember to pick them up.....that is all I can think of for now.....
  9. GersonSith Jedi Master

star 4
    No person should ever read a Jane Austin book. They are horribly horrible and boring. And the Picture of Dorian GAY (emphasis added by me, the R was intentionally left out) is about a bunch of homos admiring a picture of a young man - NOT COOL! I had to read that book in my english lit. class and hated every second of it. Although mrs. cbielich, a couple other guys and I got to make a spoof of it that included a poster of Jim Morrison with nipples showing, someone dressed up as Richard Simmons, a guy in a dress, and me with bows and flowers in my hair. That was funny. Also if you've seen the League of Ext. Gentlemen, Dorian GAY is in there, but he is not a mean bad type guy in the book.

Anyway, books to read:
    Of course I know you are reading the Wheel of Time series and its incredible. The New Spring is a prequel to the series, which is kind of a bummer since he hasn't finished the actual series yet.

Anything by John Grisham is very very good, I have almost all of the books he's written.

I liked Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy, but can't get into his other books.

Patricia Cornwell has a lot of good books about murder mysteries that are very detailed because she is a medical examiner, and so is her main character in the books. Good stuff.

Have you read Lord of the Rings yet? If not, that should be first.

If you haven't read the Thrawn trilogy or any other Timothy Zahn Star Wars book, then those should be second.

Of course I have a ton of books in a lot of genres that you can come and borrow at any time. CS Lewis books are great too, read Mere Christianity in fact. Actually I think anyone who has doubts about "Christianity" should read that. In fact, I dare anyone here who doesn't believe in God or Christianity to read that and refute what's said. Its an intellectual look at those things.
  10. Luminara_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    I second the notion that you should read the Otherland series--i could not put them down (by Tad Williams) and i have all 4 if you want to borrow.

Um, Mag Force 7 books (by Margaret Weis)

Dude, I have like a million books. Let me know on Sunday and you can take your pick.
  11. Jankarakk FanForce CR Southern Nevada FF

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I've been reading some Anne Rice. Very good books. Vampyres and Witches and stuff...very good stuff.

I agree with Gerson about C.S. Lewis, although it might just be me but Mere Christianity is a very difficult book to comprehend fully. But hey that could be just me. Yeah that's all I have to say.
  12. Axia_Euxine Jedi Master

star 4
    The Dragonlance books, especially the Chronicles series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are very good.

The Vampire Erotica anathology series Love in Vein edited by Poppy Z. Brite is good. (Not for the easily disturbed though)

Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler is a VERY good book, I could not put it down. Science Fiction and not what you expect, a very unique book.

The Rowan series by Anne McCaffery is a MUST read.
  13. Luminara_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Anne Rice has some cool books.

If you like vampires, then you have to read Dracula, dude.
  14. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Holy Crap you guys read a lot... I think when I'm done with these two books I'm reading I'll give Lord of the Rings a read, cause yes I have never read the books...
  15. Axia_Clone_001 Jedi Padawan

I dare anyone who doesnt believe in Star Wars to read everything ever printed about Star Wars!

By the way DARKSTAR, I canr believe you have an episode 3 Icon, your just lucky I already ran into that picture or you would die the death of a million screams!

and I cant believe you havent read LOTR, they are so much better than those movies. I read those back in the 7th grade but we wont talk about how long ago that was.
  16. Jankarakk FanForce CR Southern Nevada FF

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Oh I would say that was sometime around when the dinosaurs roamed the earth [face_devil] just messin.
  17. Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Master

star 4
    wow, Axia....what was it like reading books before they invented the printing press?
  18. MrsDarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan

I love you, Darkstar....you can read my books ANY time... *wink, wink*
  19. Luminara_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    dino rides and flintstones cars
  20. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry Axia, I didnt even realize its an episode III Icon, he just looks hot in that pic, and theres a sun, which I thought was fitting....

and thanks wife of mine, I love you too....
  21. Luminara_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    whoa.
    i think that this one is gerson.

has to be.
    and darkstar knows it. you both suck.
  22. MrsDarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan

*blush*

*winks at darkstar*

*blows kisses*
  23. Axia_Euxine Jedi Master

star 4
    Look! I am not old enough to recieve comments like these, another ten years maybe. Now dont you two have to change your diapers or something?

And Darkstar how could you NOT realize its an episode 3 pic, I mean lets take a look, Anakin with scruffy, cool-guy hair. Did he have that in episode 1? No. Episode 2? No. Which leaves what...
  24. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm... a valid point Axia... I bow down to your infinte wisdom... but then again you have been on this earth MUCH longer than me and have gained the appropriate wisdom...
  25. MrsJaggedFel Jedi Padawan

Personally I didn´t recognize Hayden Christensen and thought it was a Dune icon....or something.....
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.