main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Free Star Wars knit and crochet charts / graphs page updated

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Li-Ah, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I found my username/password sheet and have access to everything again.
    I've done a quicky update on my page and will clean the page up more when time
    allows.

New for 2007 are knit and crochet charts for the Millennium Falcon and
    a Y-wing fighter. Also added are updated knit charts for the Empire's
    logo and the Old Republic logo. They are now round.

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/swcharts/

A friend has pointed out that the knit chart of the Falcon should be reversed if you are machine knitting the square, since the back side always faces you and the image is a top view.

2. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    omg! I LOVE that link!!! I'm SO gonna hafta try some of those! question tho - how do you know exaclty how mush yarn is one stitch?

3. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    You didn't say whether you were interested in the knit or crochet charts, but they are both made the same way.

The crochet charts are square. Single crochet is best for this. You pick the yarn you want, which should be either sport/D.K. or worsted weight. Then you choose a hook appropriate for the yarn you've chosen. Then you do a test swatch. The swatch should come out square for crochet; my test pieces came out to be 3 stitches by 3 rows = 1 inch using worsted weight yarn. If you do not match this, then you need to change hooks in order to get a square piece, or it will not look right. I have not used sport/D.K. yarns, but they should work. You won't get 3 stitches and 3 rows = 1 inch, so just aim for something square.

The knit pieces are based on 4 stitches and 6 rows = 1 inch grid, using worsted weight yarn and size 7 knitting needles. You may need to go down or up in needle size to get this.

As for estimating overall yarn needs, I've been using Red Heart Supersaver skeins in varying amounts since I have all kinds of colors laying around from older projects. For the main background colors, though, you should have 3 ounces of worsted weight available. I'm sure you'll use less, but better to have too much than too little.

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll add gauge to my page so others get an idea of what to expect/aim for when using them.

4. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Very cool-- we don't have too many craftspeople in the fanart section here! Most of these designs would look great as the central emblem for a knit hat-- I think I'd have an R2 hat myself! :D

5. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    ok, thanks! do you ever do embroydery? I've gotten hooked on it myself, and made LOTS of Star Wars patches!

6. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    Hi ShrunkenJedi,

One person has already used R2D2 on a hat and said they thought it turned out well. I have my R2 square slated to go on a sweater I'm working on as I get more things charted. The hardest part now is finding time to knit. It takes intense concentration for me to do a knit square, as in intarsia, you have to be careful about twisting the yarns for color changes so you don't get holes. It's not a disaster if you do, though; just close the hole up when you are weaving in the ends.

7. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    Hi Sugarbantjinn,

I have done it in the past, but not recently. I do understand my crochet charts, being a square grid (same number of stitches and rows per inch) will work for embroidery and beading, which are also based on a square grid. The knit charts will not, since knitting stitches are wider than they are long.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  9. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    moosemousse,

You can also crochet these, or use the crochet charts to do cross stitch or beading, or any other crafts that take a square grid.

Thanks for the thread mention, I'll go and check it out!

10. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    ooo! Beading! BRILLIANT!!! I HAVETO try that out!!!

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can do cross-stitch, maybe. :D

12. Li-Ah

Li-Ah Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2006
    After someone tried to make money using my charts, the issue appears resolved, and my pages are back up. I took an annoying situation and turned it to a good cause, separating my pages by craft. You'll find all the old knit and crochet charts PLUS some new larger knit and crochet charts of Star Wars heroes, villains to come as I have time to chart them out. I also have a page on a work in progress, a Star Wars Imperial Insignia filet crochet doily. Someone wants to make one for their wedding, and I thought I'd see if it was doable. Thinking smaller shinier thread would look better, but the chart/pattern and progress so far is shown.

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/swcharts/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.