1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

TOR Free to play and preferred cant access forums (poll)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Emerald_Jedi, Apr 28, 2015.

Should SWTOR forums be open to everyone and not just subscribers?

1. YES it should

2. NO it shouldint

1. Emerald_Jedi

Emerald_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2015
    Is it just me and is everyone else thats a preferred player or free to player a little miffed like me that they cant post on the forums?

Ive played a lot of free to play games and hung around there forums but ive never known any other free to play game that locks its forums to everyone but its subscribers.

Sure if they were unlocked they would probably get some trolls but what forum dose int have them right? I just feel that if they just unlocked the dam forums it could add a whole new flavor to the community of TOR and bring in a lot more fans to the game were there voice can be heard
  2. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015
    As far as a business model is concerned, I am fine with this. They are maximizing the ways that subscribers feel special and feel as though it is worth it. I know that will be an unpopular opinion. I am sure people will jump in and say "they do that with restricted in game play" - but I disagree. That is one form of incentive to subscribe and the forums is another. In other words, one incentive to subscribe is to unlock the full features of the game and another is to get special access to things like the forums. I am ok with this.
  3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Tobeh: I kind of agree but also kind of don't. To have no access at all to the forums doesn't seem to encourage me to subscribe as there's no way of gauging how good the forums are. You can't post and you can't make friends with other players so there's no thinking 'gee, I wish I could access more'. It seems more like to make people think 'I could pay to post on the boards, or I could go somewhere else for free'. By allowing some measure of access they could increase the number of active users who would then play together more and maybe subscribe. It's a bit like offering someone a cake after letting them have a sample as opposed to offering someone a box with 'cake' written on it. It could still be the best cake ever but there's no way of knowing without get to try it first.
    Tobeh likes this.
  4. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015

moosemousse This is a good point - I agree. I suppose it might be harder to give a sample with a forum that would reflect the true nature of the community though. For example, if there is a sample section, than there would be a closed section too. One would think that the majority of paying subscribers would stick to the paid for section to get their money's worth. But who knows, I do agree with you though!

And I don't know how effective that is as an incentive either, I am a paying subscriber now (after trying F2P) but that is mostly because of the game benefits, not the forum.
  5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm 50/50 on it. I'm a subscriber myself, so I can't imagine what a free/preferred player feels, but I find it unfair they can't participate in discussions for the game, but also it stops spammers and bots coming in to wreak havoc and grief.