main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Free Webhosts.....THAT ARE GOOD.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by masterpadawan, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterpadawan

masterpadawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Well I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I really need a free host with nice feautres and benefits. I would like to have WYSIWYG editing but very freestyle. Possibly like Frontpage. Over 100MB. I don't know what a good transfer speed is. Finally unlimited upload sizes (within the limit of course.) I don't mind banner ads, don't want pop-ups hopefully but please IF ANYONE HAS SOME GOOD FREE WEB HOST THEN I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW OF THEM!!!!!

2. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    You wont find 100MB for free. Tripod is the best, since they don't pay that much attention to your site (only the files you host). You can kill the ad banners and you get freeform editing.

3. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Well you can download a freeware editor or maybe a shareware version of HotDog at download.com.... they should have a few nice free ones and they will be much better than any java applet you'd find on a hosting site.

Ain't no one gonna jump to give you 100 megs free ;)

50megs.com??? (unless you are looking to upload video, than it's a no go)

Cya
    Mike

4. DarthPinto

DarthPinto Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    In general, you get what you pay for, I'm afraid. I used to host a web site on this outfit called freehostspace, which had no monthly fees, but it crashed multiple times, then went under and i got transfered to cheaphostonline, who are honest-to-god Sith lords in terms of pure evil.

Anyway, a possible solution: if you have any friends in college, see if they get personal web space. I get 50 megs free (well, included in the 30 grand a year, but hey) and to the best of my knowledge i get as much transfer as I want (they haven't complained so far, anyway). If you need lots of space, see if you can find several accomadating friends who don't use their's (arts and letters majors are a good bet ;). You won't get fancy stuff like Frontpage support, but you can use the college web space to store your large files and host the index pages on tripod or wherever.

5. masterpadawan

Jul 5, 2002
    Well the main thing I was thinking of was simply spreading a site across multiple site providers (Although that would be hard considering they all offer different support)

6. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    many hosts will delete your account unless you have a page... they don't like being used as a file host, because that means their ads don't get seen.

7. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    hey, pinto, what college do you go to? 30k a year? Must be outta state... a very expensive out of state school at that... even USC costs about 23500 a year or something...

Cya
    Mike

8. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    my brother goes to Boston U., about 38,000 a year. I start U.Colorado in late august, abour 21,000 a year, with an additional $250 for a season pass to Vail.

9. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    with an additional $250 for a season pass to Vail.

Oh, c'mon! Super Pass, all the way!

---

www.brinkster.com - free, 30 megabytes, no ads. Though they don't like large files too much, and uploads are a bit challenging, you get 5 files each time, then another 5, and another 5 (hard when working with frames...).

EDIT: link fixed.

10. christmastom

christmastom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    Ohh I hate frames. I wouldn't recommend doing that for your site (but that's just me).

But if you want all that, then you'll have to spend some money. As for editors, you could check out an educational store if you're in school.

11. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    HA! good luck...

there are free 100 meg hosting sites out there.. BUT the biggest file you can upload is 500k (right ur going to fill up 100 megs with 500k files..) and second the transfer limit is REALLY REALLY LOW (which is bad :p)

so pretty much if u want anything good u have to spend a little cash to get a good host that will give u good speed plenty of bandwidth AND let u upload whatever the heck kinda file you want (not to mention of unlimited size .. to an extent.. )

12. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I just broke down and got some webspace. Found a pretty good one, too.

I haven't used Hot Dog in like forever (I think waaay back when it first came out). I know that Netscape and Mozzila come with a composer that will help you make a very simple page. I advse you just learn HTML and do it yourself. It's extremely easy to learn.

HTML Goodies helped me out with the basics, I still use that site a lot. I used to just use Notepad, but I find this program, HTML Kit to be really useful.

13. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    Try Freewebs. I have 5 sites with them (See signature for one). They offer 100mb*, No Pop ups, No banners, No upload limit**

* At first your given 40mb and can apply for more - i have 70mb at the moment.

** You have an upload limit of about 1mb for the first 7 days of opening your account.

They also have a WYSIWYG editor.

I like them :D Worth a look ;)

14. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Well, I used to use frames, but no longer. Still, it's good to point out.

15. masterpadawan

Jul 5, 2002
    thanks for the advice guys

16. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    What about free website redirection?
    I'm probably gonna sign up for a free .tk for mine (freewebs).

-Kol.

17. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Hey People,
    I've got a good site... 500mb Free... Ad Banner... No file size limit (oh sorry the limit is 500mb as stated on their site!)... And I havent seen any mention of a bandwidth limit... www.host69.com Tell me if you like it!

Oh ya and for website redirection check out www.cjb.net it gives you a http://yoursite.cjb.net URL... Pretty Schnazzy!

18. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    my site uses frames, but I think I do it rather tastefully...

tell my what you think of it, i just redid it two days ago....

also, my site has 6 audio tracks and it plays a random one when you load the page. i need to know if this works, so can you help me out by just telling me if you can A)hear the music and B)see the play/stop buttons at the top. thanks!

pixelito|animation

19. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    Freewebz does have a 40 MB file limit. At least they do for me and they did.

And hey spottcat211, does host69.com/gizba.com allow direct linking to files?

20. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Nope, no hotlinking but hey it's free what do you expect?

21. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Everything costs money. *gasp*

Its either Tripod or nowhere else much better than that.

22. christmastom

christmastom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    Pixelito, site looks good! I can hear the music and see the buttons, no problem there. Nice site and the frames didn't bother me so much. It's just how most people do them, on the side, it just dosen't look good to me. Oh well that's just me though.

23. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Well I finally figured out how to hotlink on www.host69.com ... I just had to add a ? at the end of the URL... There ya go people, a free webhost with hotlinking and 500mb! Thats what I call a GOOD thing. :D

24. hostingjedi

hostingjedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    If you are looking for a good webhost. Today is your day. I found this web design solutions company called WebDigital Design on google. They offer professional hosting as an intermediate partner with About, Inc. It looks like Freeservers, but much nicer. They offer free hosting as well as building features, and you can upgrade your hosting package for only $5-$12 a month and get 10 pop-addresses, 500 mb, the most advanced stats package that I've see, and a whole lot more! It's cheap and offers a lot. Look into it. I have a site hosted there, and am very pleased!!!

25. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    That was the lamest sock-plug I've ever seen.

A tip for the future: if your pitch sounds like corporate advertising babbel it usually tips folks off to the fact that you are not exactly being genuine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.