main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Freedom of Speech

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Launch, Sep 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    What ever happened to freedom of speech? Not that I agree with a single word AT_60 said about how he was happy and stuff, but that is his opinion. Some of the americans were saying they wanted to blanket bomb iraq, etc, etc, but not one was banned. All Im trying to say is that I think it was alittle harsh. Removing all his posts was drastic, although im sure much easier then combing through and taking out anything offensive. What I think was even more drastic was permenantly banning him. I think he deserves a second chance, not that it's my choice, and Im sure i will lose any respect Ive ever had on here for saying that, but I would lose my self respect by not saying anything in his defence. You may ban me for my opinion if you wish, but i'd appriciate it if you could respect me for having the guts to state it. I may be young, and mouthy in some of your minds, but dont let that cloud your judgement, for i never let AT_60's comments about the pentagon, even though 4 members of my family died on tuesday, cloud my judgement of him. For his sake, give him a second chance, only one though, and set him to strict rules. Give him a new name, so he can change his idedity, and maybe change, maybe a week trial period, or something suitable. Let him stay banned for awhile though, let his actions sink in.

By no means am I trying to appose your authority, you've done what you feel the need for. I dont agree with your actions thats all. I do realize that if you allowed him to keep it up much anger would sweep the forums, and that if you were to allow him back, it may anger many, or very well anger those who you have not allowed back. Please dont ban me for this, for i enjoy it here, my opinion may mean nothing to you, and i respect that, for i know it will most likely be ignored. my wishes may belong to only me, but i had to try.

2. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    This is now becoming a petition. Not a bad petition, but a petition of my opinion. I want to know who all agrees with me.

please reply, sign your name, what number you are to sign it, and why you agree

if you do not agree, then please do not reply

1. Launch, everyone can read the before letter to understand why.

3. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I again, think of a forum as a party, with the moderators as hosts.

Only - in this case, it wasn't a party, but a wake. AT60 had the poor judgement to walk into that wake and say, "Yeah - well I never liked the decesed anyways so goodbye and good riddence." The hosts gave him an opportunity to make good. They asked him to kindly cease and decist. He didn't, so he was shown the door.

I personally feel the deletion of every post of his was a hastily made, and somewhat poor decision. A removal or selective editing of his posts in the assorted 'tragedy' threads probably would have sufficed. Instead we are left with bitter feelings and a messy forum with many threads no longer making sense.

Launch, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm also impressed that despite such a loss, you are able to forgive AT60's callous words. Maybe, when the wake draws to a close and the party begins again... maybe the PowersThatBe will find some of the same forgiveness towards AT60 and offer him another chance.

Until then, I think AT60 is going to have to learn that his actions have consequences. Hopefully this time away will give him a chance to reflect. Some time to think on what it was he did, on what he could have done different, and to realize that thoughtless words can cause real pain.

4. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    Thank you for not calling me a child, or telling me to stay out of things I couldn't possibly understand, as a few have. Thank you more so for not telling me you thought I was out of line, your opinion matters greatly to me, as do the opinions of a few selct others, one of which told me to give it up. I know it's less then likely that my opinion matters to a single mod or admin, and more then likely that there ignoring every post of mine regarding this, and just waiting for me to slip up so they can ban me too. Thank you for your sympathy, it means alot.

5. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I see no problem with your logic, Launch...although I may be new on the Fourm, I am not new to the world, and I`ll back you up on this one.

6. WildCard

WildCard Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2001
    AT60 did stuff like this all the time , and even took darth cleo's picture and put nazi symbols all over it.

He got what was coming to him, and the deletion of every post was handed down by the owners of the board so it doesnt matter what the memebers want anyways.

7. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    guess it truly doesnt, wish it did though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.