main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Freedom or Security?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Tion_Meddon, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

Would you give up your Rights for Protection, like Anakin and the galaxy?

Or would you fight for liberty even if it puts you in grave danger, like Padme and the rebellion?

Would you sacrafice Freedom for Security?

If were Anakin, which would you choose at that critical moment?

2. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    I would fight for Liberty, like the Rebellion, except...

how is this a ROTS spoiler?

3. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    ---> YJCC :)

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    NO POLITICS THREADS

5. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    Freedom.

6. JediMaster_YogiBear

JediMaster_YogiBear Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    The galaxy didn't give away its rights. The Senate did that for them. And they didn't do it for protection, they did it because of their greed. The average person in the galaxy would like freedom but feels their isn't anything they can do about it.

7. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    What are you trying to imply?

Take it to TSF...

8. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

This decision is made IN Episode III, so I just want to see what you would rather choose.

If you'd rather be safe or be free.

9. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    People that choose security over freedom deserve neither. Forget who said that, but they were right. *tell their sister... they were right...* *dies*

10. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    People that choose security over freedom deserve neither. Forget who said that, but they were right.

Benjamin Franklin said that but I think he said give up your liberty for security. I believe that is how the quote is stated,if I am wrong please correct me.

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    People are faced with this decision every day of their lives.

Personally, I'm willing to give up some freedoms in favor of being safe.

12. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
  13. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    Benjamin Franklin said that but I think he said give up your liberty for security. I believe that is how the quote is stated,if I am wrong please correct me.

*sputters* I'll double-check, but no way I can believe that Ben Franklin would advocate giving up freedom for some security. He would want a happy medium, so that rights and property are protected, but not at the expense of personal liberty (freedom of association, etc.). I'll double-check, though.

Everyone ones wants some security, but I'd rather take my chances and live a full life than have to pass though loads of onerous security checks and so on. Life is risk, ******* deal with it and don't try and push anything on me.

14. JediMaster_YogiBear

Mar 29, 2005
    The greatest threat to the population is from the Empire itself (usually the case). Many countries on Earth are free and have an army to kept them safe. Why can't the Republic?

That said, ANY time you get more security, you give up some freedom even if only a small amount. Laws protect you but limit what you can do. e.g. no jaywalking (well you really shouldn't), you have to stop for traffic lights even when you're in a rush (well, you really should), and so on.

15. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    Lincoln said that America was so powerful that the only way that it could fall was from the machinations of a few from within. I think that's true. As long as people fight to maintain their rights, under any circumstances, one will have a good and fairly decent country. As soon as people start clamouring for security over freedom, it's time to move.

16. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Everyone ones wants some security, but I'd rather take my chances and live a full life than have to pass though loads of onerous security checks and so on. Life is risk, ******* deal with it and don't try and push anything on me.

Yeah exactly and youd better show up two hours before your flight because the way security personnel grill you its like okay can I go now? LOL [face_laugh]

17. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Dangerous letting this thread go on...

18. JediLaura01

JediLaura01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2001
    I have a very bad feeling about this...

19. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    We're speaking in generalizations and using examples for effect (though not specific pols and so on). Hopefully people can deal with that, instead of dragging it all down to partisan politics. *prays*

20. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^OH YOU MENTIONED PRAYER!!! YOU MUST BE A REPUBLICAN!!!
    just kidding...
    I agree with you...hopefully people can be civil about this, it just usually doesn't happen when politics gets brought up...

21. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    THIS IS A POLITICS THREAD AND DOES NOT BELONG ON THE 3SA!

22. JediMaster_YogiBear

Mar 29, 2005
    I think the best way to overthrow the Empire would be to start off in its mail room, work your way up being the emperor's personal chef, and poison the cakes when he's having Vader over for high tea. Then, say that your name tage "Chef" is a typo, and that it should be "Chief" and therefore you are in charge now. At that point instead of dismantling the Empire, you will realize that it is a good thing, and set out to rule with an iron fist.

23. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    I agree with you...hopefully people can be civil about this, it just usually doesn't happen when politics gets brought up...

Well, as long as we stick to quotes from Ben Franklin, Lincoln and so on, I think we're OK. Please don't anyone make any comparisons closer in time than that. Overall political philosiphizing is fun and sometimes (very rarely, admittedly) insightful. It's a SW board and we need to keep that foremost in mind...

THIS IS A POLITICS THREAD AND DOES NOT BELONG ON THE 3SA!

It will be locked, in due time, my pitiful little padawan, so never fear.

At that point instead of dismantling the Empire, you will realize that it is a good thing, and set out to rule with an iron fist.

Yess. Yesssss. Can it be done?

24. JediMaster_YogiBear

Mar 29, 2005
    No those sissy rebels beat me to it. I am now personal chef to a Hutt

25. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    In the SW universe - freedom. In the real world you can have both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.