main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Freedon Nadd

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, May 31, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Would you classify Freedon Nadd as a Sith?
    Most of the EU source books do not classify him as a Sith and that is what bothers me.
    It is presumed Nadd traveled to Yavin 4 and that he learned the dark ways from Sadow, so (in my opinion) that would most certainly make him a Sith Lord.
    Apparently, Nadd killed Sadow, so that he could become the Master.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Freedon Nadd always struck me as sort of a... poser... Sith. I mean, I think he was a Sith, but he was sort of a lame one, a man without a plan so to speak. IIRC (and I'm pulling this from memory since I don't have time at the moment to read that wall of text entry on the Wook), he wanted to be teh most paherful dude eva, but after having a bunch of hissy fits he went to Naga Sadow, somehow was able to defeat him (I find this hard to believe), and then became a retired old fogey after conquering just one planet. Just one. Not even a big or populated planet at that. Some guy who ate grapefruit in TCW did that too. And that guy wasn't even a Sith.

I think some people don't want to classify him as a Sith because, when compared to I-Eat-Planets-For-Breakfast-Nihilus, or I-Ran-Two-Sides-Of-A-War-Palpatine, or I-Have-A-Birdcage-On-My-Head-I-Created-Millenium-Spanning-Laws-Bane, he's a whiney spoiled ex-Jedi-dropout. All talk and no bite.

3. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well he contributed in the training of Exar Kun who (according to Gnost-Dural) was chosen by the Dark Lords of old to be the new Dark Lord

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I think most sources call him a Sith. Not sure if the TOTJ comics did originally but if not most later sources just kind of assumed he was. For some reason no one can ever keep the TOTJ backstory straight.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    As originally introduced by Master Arca "Jazzy" Jeth:

"Freedon Nadd was seduced by the dark side, four centuries ago. He apprenticed himself to a DARK LORD OF THE SITH! In the tradition of the Sith, there can be only ONE Dark Lord at a time... unable to become a Sith Lord as long as his master lived, Nadd came to Onderon to make himself a KING."

I actually have a huge soft spot for the guy because of his fairly modest ambitions. In a world where every writer is constantly trying to one up each other with the latest giant dark side threat to the galaxy, a planetary conquerer stands out as being far more interesting.

6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    So when did "gave up on being Dark Lord because there already was one and ran away to pout" get changed to "killed the current Dark Lord and became the Dark Lord himself"? And was his master always Naga Sadow? In that context it doesn't sound like the Sith Lord he was apprenticed to was (supposedly) the last Sith left in the galaxy.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

HOW DARE YOU!

Nadd's goal was to chill out on Onderon until his death, and then just haunt people for lulz. He was immensely successful.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's unfair.

He actually conquered de facto little beyond Iziz.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I always wondered about that actually, I mean how many people can possible keep dropping in on them to pick from to be the next Dark Lord? :confused:

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not sure. Around the time KJA got on board, I would imagine.

Nope. When Veitch introduced Sadow later down the line, it was as a pure blooded "Sith Sorcerer" who had been exiled and stood in opposition to the Dark Lords:

"Sadow was a member of an elite priesthood, of PURE SITH BLOOD, who were in rebellion against their RULERS, the FALLEN JEDI who wore the title DARK LORDS OF THE SITH".

Though he still looked completely human.

TotJ continuity is, uh, a bit of a mess.

11. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    It's the same as the OT/pre-PT EU and the PT/TCW material. It's just a little off and it only matters to those who actually really give a ****

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the guy who appointed Exar Dark Lord was intended to be Nadd's master. Recall "He is ready, Nadd." In fact, I think Nadd was this guy's pawn.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't he later retconned to be Marka Ragnos, who died long before Nadd sought out the Dark Side?

General Immodet likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    yes, but Nadd's spirit might still have taken advice from Ragnos's spirit. I love the topic of TOTJ continuity. A novel about either Freedon Nadd or Marka Ragnos would be awesome!

15. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Yes to that the two most underrated ancient dark lords need some love

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This post is pure awesome! I'm in heaven! Are you into ancient Sith history?

Jedi Bluth likes this.
  17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Maybe a novel about Marko Ragnos having to face off against Simus?

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, come now, Skelicus, these days TotJ actually looks like good continuity compared to most other things. :p

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What other things? What really shocks me about TOTJ is that it's a case of the EU contradicting itself rather than a case of higher canon ignoring the EU.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No, it's a case of KJA ignoring Veitch :p Veitch worked out a whole continuity from ancient times to post ROTJ. KJA ignored that, as did other EU authors, until most of it was forgotten. That's a shame, imo, 'cause Veitch did a better job than anyone else and really "got" where GL is coming from.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's also a case of KJA ignoring himself, actually. But I do agree that it's a shame how Veitch's logical timeline got retconned to death.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, strictly speaking, Kressh did become Dark Lord and banished Sadow. That it didn't stick doesn't stop some Kressh loyalist writing a version of Sth history which is then quoted.

With the hodgepodge of canon sticky-taped to Sadow, I've been mentally assuming Sadow put himself into stasis, was awoke by Nadd, who found he was on Yavin via Asha Ree/Korriban, where he undoubtedly met Marka Ragnos' shade, and then Nadd killed Sadow at the end - Sadow's spirit simply endures and Nadd moves on.

Again, some historians (probably Vitiate's), don't consider him a Dark Lord while Sadow still exists, and that gets quoted.

This doesn't cover the Sith descended from Shar Dakhan's faction, presumably among the being those three Sith harrying the Order between the Great Hyperspace and Old Sith Wars and who killed a Sunrider...

... Nadd's contribution is valid - he infected a whole world and from at seed sprouted the Old Sith, with a little assistance from Marka Ragnos. Speaking of which, him returning in Jedi Academy was beyond awesome.

DarthJenari and darklordoftech like this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of course there there is the unreliable narrator retcon, but KJA is still guilty of making those retcons neccesary in the first place.

24. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I have no opinion on this subject, but I would say that Nadd is up there with some of the funnier names in SW. I can here Butthead now goin "huh huh Nadd...huh huh"!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's not as ludicrous as, urm, "Ludo Kressh"....