main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Freedonia's gone to war

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Not sure, heard of it in History class. Yet Tragic, you sound like you have it right.
    I still think it's inhumaine

2. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    The US isn't the only inhumane place. read

I'm not Canada bashing. Just feel it's important to show that both sides of the border make errors.

3. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Both have their faults, I agree... yet it's just another thing to add to their long list of blood bathing.

4. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    There isn't a country on this earth that's lilly white, including our own *

But given a choice between the Patriot Act and our own Anti-Terrorist Bill*, I'll take ours.
    A clear definition of terrorism, requiring a hearing before a judge within 24hrs of being held in a 'preventative arrest', requiring that all such preventative arrests be presented before parliment, and so on, all make for a more balanced approach towards public safety while providing safeguards for individual rights.

re: the linked Toronto Star article, Terrorism fight gets legal clout --- I actually read that article as evidence of Canada's compassion. As the imigration lawyer is quoted: What it says is that if you can show there may be a risk of torture upon deportation then only in exceptional cases will you be deported. Of course - better definition of what constitutes "extraordinary circumstances of a serious threat to the security of Canada" are likely necessary. I'll do some digging to see if I can find the text of the ruling.

5. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay.....I just got this email joke in my inbox and I had to share it. I'm sorry, but I think it's damn funny:

Our neighbors to the North now in the Mix! It was announced today that Canada is now prepared to help the United States in its war against terrorism. They have promised to commit:
    * 2 of their largest battleships
    * 6,000 armed troops and
    * 60 fighter jets.

However......after the exchange rate, that comes down to:
    * a canoe
    * 2 Mounties and
    * a flying squirrel.

heh heh...... "exchange rate". :D

6. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    LOL! You missed my joke about Ethopia commiting four rocks and slingshot joke. (They would a commit a mule too but the Americans have to feed it!) :)

PS we're holding back on the squirrel until we get some lucrative government contracts.

7. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Com'on.....what about NAFTA????? :D

8. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    More random notes (batteries not included, some assembly required):

US troops set up in churches and schools. Isn't this the sort of thing we're condemning Iraq for?

The war was about weapons of mass destruction... right? right??

I guess anyone who's a muslim, jew, hindu, buddhist or atheist just has to stay dirty? *

Anyone remember Afghanistan?

9. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Two comments:

The second comment about MWD: So they are taking off their chemical suits. You can't launch a chemical attack if no one is alive to push the button.

Dirty religion: The guy is a Southern Baptist. Anyone that knows someone from the South knows how fervent they are about their religion. This is a section of the US that still can't accept we kicked their @sses in 1865. Do I think it's fair he does that? No. Is it a news report written to piss people off? Yes.

Afghanistan: If this is a battle about support to get the place up and running again, let's look at the $$$ amounts pledged by the two countries: $900 mil since 9/11/02 vs $260 mil since 1990. And that's in dollars CA. And then factor in the number of troops there. Allow me to say something snotty: Don't b*tch about something if you won't roll up your sleeves and help.

10. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Jeff - our sleeves are may not be rolled up as many times as the US, but please realize we've got tiny little arms. We roll our sleeves up any more and we won't have a shirt on.

The $100 mil that we contributed this past year represents a significant portion of our total foreign aid contribution - and a much higher contribution per capita than the US.

The military we've placed in Afghanistan represents half the Canadian forces abroad.

And - to get my own snotty comments in ;) - at least we managed to remember including Afghanistan in our budget this year. I'm also sure we didn't send bombs in packages that looked like food.

When a meaningful comparison is used and we view foreign aid taken as a percentage of a nation's GNP, there are TWENTY ONE nations that have their sleeves rolled up further than the States, Canada being but one of them. Just because someone's sleeves are rolled, doesn't mean they're doing their fair share of the work.

11. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Bush forgot to include the cash cuz he was too busy giving huge wads of cash to his rich contributors via dividend tax breaks.

Screw Bush. Lame duck president just like his dad. And Tragic - I do stand corrected on the aid. I retract my snotty comment and offer another beer. We'll be drunk and telling each other how much we love ourselves in no time! :)

12. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    (Tragic sings)

Beer, beer, beer, bubba of beer, beer, beer...
    Oh, when we get together,
    just me and all the lads,
    everyone remembers all the fun we had,
    cause when get together there's plenty of good cheer.

Imagine, reconciliation on an internet forum!

....that calls for a bubba of beer...
    beer beer, bubba of beer, beer, beer

Tragic Lad's singing of the Bubba of beer song is not an endorsement of alcohol or alcohol related products.
    Must be 19 or older to sing along with the Bubba of beer song.

13. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Nor is Tragic's singing an endorsement of having ability to remain in key.

:D

14. THEREALSHMII

Nov 29, 2000

Besides that look what all your American wars are doing to our flying squirrel population.

They are now an endangered species!

No squirrel for you.

I will remain quiet on Tragic's singing abilities. I know what's good for me.

15. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    (Tragic follows Shmii)

this is the song that does not end,
    yes it goes on and on my friend.
    some people started singing it not knowing what it was
    and they'll continue singing it forever just because
    this is the song that doesn't end,
    yes it goes on and on my friend
    and they'll continue singing it forever just because
    this is the song that doesn't end,
    yes it goes on and on my friend
    and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

16. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    With the current developments in Iraq and the fall of Saddam i would like to know the opinions of all of you anti-war critics...

The people in Iraq seem to be celebrating their new found freedom and the American troops seem to be finding evidence of WMD...

What do you guys have to say? have your opinion's changed or stayed the same...?

17. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Earlier in the thread, I listed my criteria for a 'just' war and reasoning why this conflict did not meet such criteria.

"My son had his head blown off," screamed Khodeir. "Why are they hitting the people? Why are they killing the children? Why are they doing his to us?

"Why are they attacking civilians? Didn't Bush say on TV that he won't attack civilians. But these people who died are all civilians? Is this a target?" she wailed, pointing at the dried blood of her son still splashed on the walls.

With rumblings over 'regime change' for Syria and Iran, one wonders how many more times we can expect to hear cries such as this.

Saddam being toppled is a good thing, done for the wrong reasons and in the worst of all possible ways.

I stand by my original opinion.
    Saddam was a monster. Bush is a moron.

18. Bertramtalespinner

Bertramtalespinner Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2000
    comedy "Northern Ireland" option...

Nowwwww we know why Blair jumped on the bandwagon. Remember, IRA=Terrorists...

19. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    How dare you. How dare you Tragic make a claim like that about the president of a country you are not even a member of. I don't make any slanderous remarks against Chretien, and you should shut your mouth about Bush.

I live here. I can say it - Bush is a moron.

:D

I do hope you all caught the humor in that. Bad.....yeah....but meant to be funny. Is Bush a moron? Yeah. How the hell he has a 71% approval rating is beyond me. Amazing what a war will do for the impression that you can do the job. Bush is crap. Lame duck president, unless he decides to go against Syria or North Vietnam to keep his points up. The elephant party can make all the claims they want. Simple fact is that the economy has taken a major back seat right now because Dubya looks good as a "war president", and that makes the party look good. The moment the action ends, watch his ratings tank. Especially when he actually has to do his damn job.

I voted Gore. And I'll vote whomever ISN'T Bush next year, depending on what GWB does for the common man over the next year plus. Any more dividend tax cut bull**** or trickle down economic moves and he'll rue the day.

20. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I cant stand Chretien. I am completely embarrassed as a Canadian to have him as a
    PM...

21. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Still better than Stockwell Mike.

People vote Chretien because
    1) the Alliance is crazy.
    2) Everyone knows the NDP will never win.

22. THEREALSHMII

Nov 29, 2000

But we need to hear MORE ON Pres Bush. I hear him on the news everyday but I still need to hear MORE ON him. Please give me MORE ON President Bush!

(This joke has been stolen from This Hour Has 22 Minutes especially for you.) :)

23. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    You may have a point there Wolf !!!

24. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Yup, when there is no good, the lesser of two evils always wins.

25. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Now, if I were running the show in this country.... ;)

2004 be sure to vote for Tragic and his Iron Fist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.