main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Freeing the droids from imprisonment

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bob the X-Winger, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I would have to say while not all droids have reached humanoid level of social intelligence we have seen in the Star Wars universe creatures that are clearly vicious killers and should be kept locked up like the Rancor Monster or Wampa but the Droids in Sandcrawler were be sold for spare parts. C-3PO and R2D2 were clearly suffering. I expect the Alliance to do away with trading with the Jawas and indeed those furry little creatures also traded with Jabba so hardly trustworthy to the Alliance. Also I would highlight the Tusken Raider who were also a cruel people while droids toiled and troubled without any reward for their service. Even Han Solo was a product of this belittling of droids.

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    eh?

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Here is a take from a different point of view. Now, I'd say that Lucas adhered to Asimov's "laws of robotics" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_robotics

(The producers of Rebels no longer seem to stick to that, but that's a different story)

The one interesting, IMHO, is the later added "zeroth law": A robot may not injure humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

Assuming that "freeing the droids from imprisonment" could constitute a threat for organic beings to do so, it would not be an acceptable course of action.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I disagree.

[​IMG]

SkooterNB and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I was thinking about the programming of benelovent astro and protocol droids.

I would be ridiculous to assume that no one ever programmed droids for battle or else, revealed in the prequel trilogy and plutdroids like IG-88 (besides, no one needs to come to their rescue or liberation, they can probably handle that themselves). ;)

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    EU-wise, IG-88 is the perfect example of a robot that disobeyed and murdered their own programmers, and developed their own ambitions.

And 4-LOM became a thief and then bounty hunter on his own - no-one programmed him that way.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Asimov's laws of robotics don't apply just to some. They don't exist in the Star Wars universe because droids like IG-88, battle droids, droidekas, etc don't follow those laws.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    On the contrary, I'm pretty certain that Asimov's law does apply for the likes of Artoo and Threepio, but possibly with the "twist" that they are supposed to protect their owners wherever they can (i.e. Threepio tearing off the Wampa warning sign on Hoth).

I.e. protection of your owner can temporarily override the prime directive.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Still, those are examples of droids that became sentient on their own. That means that other droids may become sentient and compassionate on their own without programing, as well.

I concur with Lt. Hija. R2 certainly had developed his own personality, and he chose to be loyal to Luke not only due to his loyalty to Luke's family but due to his own sense of morality. I wish they had left that deleted scene of 3PO doing that in because of what you said. I always saw 3PO as more child-like than R2, but that scene would have shown that he was capable of quick thinking and loyalty to his friends.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    I would like to state I am unfamiliar with the law of robots or all that but I must agree with SateleNovelist11 for R2D2 had exceeded his programming and dare I say C-3PO was capable of exceeding his although clearly he still had that protocol droid mentality firmly lodged into him.

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I've always loved R2. This thread makes me love 3PO even more.

12. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    This brings up a question I'd like to hear your opinion on. Do you consider Jawa's as mean slave owning droid used car salesmen scavengers or creatures that have creatively found a way to make a living for the good of their families? Rey was a scavenger just like them and in TFA they even play Jawa music when we first meet Rey.

13. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Well they did try to sell a broken down droid to Luke's Uncle before it malfunctioned not to mention their technique of subduing droids with electromagnetic weapons.

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Who is worse?
    • The droid dealer who captures runaway droids and doesn't care to whom they might belong or
    • The moisture farmer who buys runaway droids and doesn't care to whom they might belong.
    ;)

15. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    Exactly, I guess it depends on your certain point of view...

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

The Jawas are abusive slave drivers. Rey was obtaining parts of machines to sell for food.

17. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It seems it won't be long before something as ridiculous as C-3PX appears in the new EU again.