main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~**Freeware Competition I**~

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Daniel_L, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Challenge, to make A film 30 seconds to 5 minutes reliant totally on ~FREEWARE~. This film may be Matrix, Star Wars, Harry Potter or something with effects.

Rules
    1. You may not have more than 3 shots without effects
    2. List what you used (e.g. gimp, jahshaka etc etc)
    3. Must be Fan Film orientated
    4. No lightsaber fights with simple rotoing and dialogue
    5. There will be a public vote
    6. Due Date Pending
    7. All capturing effects and sound editing must be freeware only!
    8. No 'Duel of the Fates' !

DV EDIT: See last post

2. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    Am I allowed to submit a 5 minute and 50 seconds film?

EDIT: Nevermind...I just remembered that there are like, two shots that were done in AE :_|

3. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001

Edit it. ;)

4. morpher-2005

Apr 19, 2005
    I was aking for an acception to the rules seeing as it was only just out (and it would be well in if I got rid of the credits). :)

EDIT: This competition, on second thoughts, is very vague. I mean, whats the whole point of it? Why isn't there a deadline yet (there could atleast be an approximation)? What are (if any) the prizes? Was this approved by a Moderator(s)? It's a good idea and all, but should have been a little more thought through I think...

5. AlanSmitheeIII

Jan 25, 2001
    That said, there sure are a lot of worthless competitions in this forum.

6. Vigilante74

Vigilante74 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2004
    A competition to see which hammer drives a nail better.

[face_plain]

7. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Hang around here more, I quote you for truth far too often for you to still be lurking in the shadows, man.

8. Darthness

Darthness Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    1. You may not have more than 3 shots without effects

I don't think it's nessesary to have a rule that strict. What if someone were to do a film at the maximum length? It would be really difficult to have only three non-FX shots for a whole five minute movie. The rule should be that at least 2/3 of the shots need to have FX in them.

9. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Jeeze! In a simple diologue scene alone you could have well over 30 shots. So you're telling me that I would have to composite something into at least 27 of those shots. ridiculous.

Unless of course you are not so inclined in the ways of filming and use continuous, uninteresting shots. Like an entire lightsaber duel shot from one location. In which case I'd applaud the mere fact that you rotoscoped out all that for nothing.

You know very little of what you speak of.

10. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    I don't think it's nessesary to have a rule that strict. What if someone were to do a film at the maximum length? It would be really difficult to have only three non-FX shots for a whole five minute movie. The rule should be that at least 2/3 of the shots need to have FX in them

That makes me go nuts! Whoever judges a film by the number of VFX shots has gotten the entire idea of filmmaking 100 % wrong. And so do people making the number of FX shots a RULE in a filmmaking competition. Make it FX competetion, then. One does not make a movie in order to end up with the most effects / best effects possible. You'd much more do the opposite! A good filmmaker tries to tell a story with the least number of effects, necessary. Effects serve the production and NOT the story. You use FX if they're easier! Not if they "make the film look cooler".

11. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    Ripley, chill out. If I'm not mistaken, the point is to make the best looking effects film you can with the free tools available. The concept is a good one, I just don't see it going anywhere. Go make a model or something.

12. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002

You might want to be a bit more specific there. I have one film that doesn't have ANY obvious special FX at all. However, between color correction, sound correction, camera leveling, transitions, and hell even the credits, there are FX used througout the entire film.

I think I get the point. You want to see something obvious like cloning, or something. But in all honesty, even the simplest FX are not so simple. And, moreover, the best FX are the ones where you can't tell any effect was applied at all.

Just saying... If you want to run the contest, you must be clear about such things or people will tear your head off later.

13. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    can we roto a famous scene (example: Luke vs. Vader) with freware after removing the glows?

14. AlanSmitheeIII

Jan 25, 2001
    Liar!

;)

15. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    Well, you're right a lot, is the point. :D

16. AlanSmitheeIII

Jan 25, 2001
    Thanks. Been banned a few times for it, but it's worth it. :D

17. Daniel_L

Sep 19, 2005
    My mistake, no More than 3 SCENES

18. morpher-2005

Apr 19, 2005
    Define 'effects' in terms of this competition (e.g does colour correction or similar count as an 'effect').

19. Daniel_L

Sep 19, 2005
    Of course
    "effects" is anything that alters the actual footage and sound

20. morpher-2005

Apr 19, 2005
    Hmm...in that case, if I alter all the shots in my litle film that havn't got an effect in them already, I'd be allowed to enter? Even if I just corrected the colour on them? In fact, I increased the volume in alot of the shots, so I guess that counts as an affect too, right?

21. Daniel_L

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes.
    and another thing, if software comes free with your camera (and is commercial) then you are not allowed to use that.

22. morpher-2005

Apr 19, 2005
    I think this needs more thought...

23. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I do think this is a pretty cool idea for a competition.
    I believe it may help some of the newer members here understand what it means to use imagination and actualy skill to create your shots instead of relying strictly on the software. I've seen some amazing work with blender and I think it's things like this that the n00bs need.
    It's not the software but the artist, and this is a good way to show that.

Maybe this thread should be to discuss ideas for the competition then later down the track we can make an official TFN competition thread.

24. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    So even though I have premeire pro I'm gonna have to edit this on virtualdub? Dang.

25. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    QFT.

I would really like to see this happen, it's a great idea for a contest (and it's something I'm good at [face_whistling]), but in its current badly organized form it's just not going to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.