main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Freewill vs. Predestination in the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    OK, then how exactly are our thoughts excluded from causality? Where's the evidence of this? What about animals? Do they have contracausal freedom like we supposedly do? How are our thoughts our own if they have no basis in causality? They occur without any reference to the world at all? How is a choice different from a thought? If it's not random, then where are these thoughts coming from if not causality?

2. yuna_kenobi

yuna_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    because, if our thoughts were determined not by our choice, then they could only be tetermined by the other criterion, the past, resulting in determinism proving a single overriding consciousness creating the illusion of freewill

besides, our thoughts are only as conected to the world and the past, as far as we allow them

3. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Determinism does not entail "a single overriding consciousness" at all. There's no need to give it humanoid characteristics. How is having the illusion of free will any different from actually having contracausal free will? There's no difference in the moral actions of people who believe in one over the other. It all comes down to what is actually happening. I say that determinism reigns--human thoughts are caused, and are therefore beyond our control.

4. yuna_kenobi

Aug 1, 2006
    then how would God get off punishing us? it isn't our fault is it, phsycologists have proved in an experiment that it is possible to completely remove your thoughts from all existence

so then determinism looses

5. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    That assumes that a God exists. But if one were in control, it wouldn't matter anyway since "he" could do whatever he wanted. That's the whole point of predestination. You were going to do what you did no matter what, but at least it happened according to the rules of the universe and was not just a random event. Oh, well. And I'd like to see that experiment, please. Somehow I doubt its authenticity.

6. yuna_kenobi

Aug 1, 2006
    i'm not sure when/ where i saw it, when i find it i'll post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.