main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FREEZE FRAMES - Vignettes of life in the Jedi Temple - UPDATED 11/19/03 Obi-centric, cradle to purge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CYNICAL21, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashes

Ashes Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2003
    Yeesh...

Bloody Council...bloody Jinn...

Well, they'll get theirs eventually...

2. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Ashes: I'm with you! Funny thing, in most of the stories I read here I wind up rooting for the Sith. Hmm, some eviscerations sound like fun right about now. :)

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wonderful post, CYN. Your use of language is continually beautiful and amazing. [face_shocked]

I wasn't expecting at all for Palpatine to come to the rescue. [face_laugh] He was characterized so well...But I couldn't really laugh, because it was still so sad. :(

Bruck was awful, of course. I'm glad he got a bit of his own medicine--although he didn't get as much as he deserved. [face_blush]

Qui-Gon is just...agh, I'm speechless. ;)

Beautiful work. Have a great weekend. :)

4. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Loved the way this worked out with the Council held over the coals for once. However, I couldn't help but think that Obi-Wan would be better off if Valorum (not Palpatine ewww) took him away from the Temple and raised him, at least he would be with someone who truly believes in his goodness and worth. As it is, I feel like he will just be hurt worse and worse by the situation left to him. :(

Wonderful post CYN. I never would have guessed you would have Palpatine come to the rescue.

5. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Go Finis! Hold them where it hurts - in the money!!

yay!!!

of course, those Sith in diguise are going to punish Obi-Wan for what others do. After all, they are not causing injury to a Jedi themselves, they are just killing a boy's heart.

6. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Got no time for anything but bare bones responses - due at a wedding ten minutes ago :); would rather witness a hanging, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for keeping the home fires burning while I've been spending entirely too much time fiddling over spilt milk; how's that for mixed metaphors? :D

Seriously, I just wanted to express my gratitude for the prayers and generous comments from all of you who have been so kind while I've tried to find my way back out of the valley of shadow; I'm not there yet - still prone to dark musings, I'm afraid - but, if I ever do come full circle, it will be thanks to lovely people like you.

Ciao for now.

CYN

7. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Beautiful post as always, CYN. Your characterizations are right on the money, as usual. :D You've also gotten me thinking again, which is always dangerous... :)

Know this, though, CYN... We're thinking of you as you walk your path. :) You don't travel alone, at least not in spirit.

8. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Phew! That was close!

It's kind of creepy to see how Palpatine played a role in keeping his future apprentice's Master in the Order so that he could become Palpatine's future apprentice's Master from whom Anakin turns away.

Also, according to the way Cyn's written it, it would have been hard for Obi-Wan to watch in TPM, Vallorum getting kicked out of office, after what he did for him here.

Just some interesting thoughts.

Can't wait to see you fix Watson's books Cyn ;)

Rogue

9. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I LOVE Palpy in this once, Cyn.

Sorry it took so long to get here

-Tim

10. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Your prose is always amazing, I never have any comments other than to add to the laurels placed at your feet. Thank you for expanding Valorum, it is not something you see done often. He is a central character to plot development, but he is also pushed to the side. Good luck with this fic and real life.
    ~Rosy

11. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    OK - time for some confessions here. I am more likely to be called 'arrogant' than 'modest' or 'retiring'. I like what I write; otherwise I wouldn't write it. The fact that some of you also like it is just lovely - but it takes the form of frosting on the cake. Sometimes, I think maybe that's one reason I'm so fond of young Obi-Wan; although he doesn't usually SAY anything to demonstate his little streak of arrogance, it's there in the way he walks, and in the gleam in his eyes. And, of course, there's the old adage that it's not arrogance (or bragging if you want to split hairs) if you can deliver the goods.

Anyway, I express this because I want everyone to understand that I am very, VERY protective of my work, and extremely particular about any contributions from another source - but I have been particularly blessed in this thread, to have the input of a really gifted writer, who has never once failed to grasp the spiritual meaning of the stories, and never written anything that isn't a perfect fit.

And, by golly, TMJ has struck again, with a little piece that fits here like hand in glove, and I am delighted to post it here.

Before I shut up and let you see that excellent contribution, let me just say quickly that I'm pleased that you guys are enjoying these little snapshots of Palpy (as a young, relatively unknown senator who has not yet developed his smarmy, urbane attitude) and Valorum - a man that I always thought deserved more focus from fans and writers alike.

CYN

As always, George doesn't know (or care, we hope) what we do here, and we make no money in the process of exploring this playground.

Sub-Title: Fatal Flaws

Contributed by; The Musical Jedi

After the Chancellor's victorious exit, Qui-Gon tucked his hands inside his dark outer robe, watching the door with a vaguely absent expression on his face. A deep breath huffed from his nostrils, and he ignored the quiet thrum of individual conversation from the Council members behind him. They left slowly, pair by pair, some pausing to give the large Master a triumphant look or a sympathetic word, depending on their opinion of his proposal. He ignored them all, and eventually moved to stand before one of the picture windows to stare out at the Coruscant traffic, waiting for the Chamber to empty.

One stubborn figure, however, refused to depart.

"Your little plot was thwarted." Mace Windu's voice filled the Chamber easily, his resonant tone seeming to hover around the lonely figure at the window. Qui-Gon didn't shift from his position or even bother to look at the other man. "It's funny how sometimes the Force doesn't listen to us."

Qui-Gon dropped his arms and swept back his cloak in a fluid gesture that left them akimbo. His boots squeaked smartly on the mosaic that Obi-Wan had just finished studying so intently and fixed a raptor-like gaze on the dark-skinned Jedi. "Do you think that good was done in this Chamber this evening, Master Windu?" he asked curtly in a tone that could have earned even senior Knights a substantial rebuke.

Instead, Mace simply chuckled. "I ask myself that question every day, old friend," he responded amiably before sighing. "We did the right thing for the Temple. We wouldn't be able to function on one-tenth our current budget. The great Order of the Jedi would be reduced to desperate measures to meet our financial needs, like those damn Gigli Scouts who sell cookies and nuts at all hours of the day. For the Order?" He tipped his head to the side, a native gesture equivalent to a shrug. "I admit that we've set something of a dangerous precedent in allowing ourselves to be blackmailed by a politician. Theoretically, it should have been strictly a Council affair. For the boy? That can only decided by someone outside the Council - in time."

"Don't you start," Qui-Gon interrupted, taking a few long strides to stand almost nose-to-nose with the senior Council member. "You'll be worse that the troll. I can already see it. He's stopped talking to me. You thought he was annoying

12. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    fatal flaw, what true thing for all of us. It was very moving post. One that I think I will have to read again and spent some time thinking about.

Thank you

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Great insight, TMJ. Everyone was perfectly in character. I loved Qui-Gon's words about the troll. [face_laugh]

I also liked how Mace referred to Xanatos as beloning to Qui-Gon, while Obi-Wan belonged to the Force. [face_shocked] That must've been painful for ol' Qui to hear! ;)

"But most of us don't COME to the Temple with a fatal flaw, Mace," the Rogue said solemnly, choosing his words carefully. "It is the Jedi way of life that gives it to us." Very true, and very nicely put. :) Great job.

And God bless, CYN.

14. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wonderful scene MJ . Always a pleasure to see Jinn get a set down. Hang in there Cyn. :)

15. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    "I remember. I remember a dark-haired, beautiful boy child, right there, in the middle of this Chamber - being threatened with expulsion. A boy with just as much talent, wounded by the fatal flaw of a father's love. Where is he now, Master Windu? Where stands that innocent tonight, as the sun sets on Corsucant?" :eek:

Very interesting that Qui-Gon seems to hold the Council in contempt for their actions with Xanatos but he himself is trying to copy them with Obi-Wan. :(

Wonderful addition to this story TMJ. :)

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I read that thru twice; I enjoyed the rhythym andcadence so much. I also enjoyed you little pokes at the entertainment industry. "Gigli scouts" and "shatterpoint."

I think the point was driven home to me when Mace said "your Xanatos" and "the Force's Obi-Wan"

Cyn- I hope things brighten up for you soon.

17. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    PK - checking out the closing line in your sig, I should probably hope that things do NOT get any 'brighter' for you. It's probably just about as 'bright' there as anyone could ever want it to be. Hang tough, Hon - and know that you're being included in a lot of prayers.

Thanks to all for reading and reviewing.

CYN

18. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    TMJ, wonderful look at just how stubborn Qui-Gon is being and how he has convinced himself that he is the only one in the Galaxy who is right and all others are against him. Almost a classic symptom of paranoia. Unfortunately, like a drunk driver, the one he ends up hurting is not just himself, but the innocent as well.

Cynical, thank you so much for posting this from her. I think it fits in very well with your story line.

Take care everyone.

19. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    The depth of emotions the two of you have explored is breathtaking. Watching Mace try to take Qui-Gon down a peg or two was great. Wonderfully written, TMJ!

How lucky are we that two such incredible authors have taken pen (keyboard?) in hand and written about these characters? Thanks to both of you for some great reading.

Shaindl

20. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Thanks Cyn. See my new siggy- the rain is currently chasing away all the goblins and ghosties. I have tons of treats sitting here and no one is ringing the doorbell :(

21. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. They have definitely improved my week of midterms and group projects.

However, since she will never do so herself, I must give most of the credit back to CYN. If it weren't for her encouragement and her writing (and her tolerance to my sticking my nose where it probably doesn't belong), my occasional contributions wouldn't be here. My greatfulness, CYNICAL. :)

Many blessings to everyone. You can't have too many.

22. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    up! kinda late on the feedback but I love this part by TMJ as well!

23. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh, I read this during Civ class so I couldn't post, but it was a great distraction TMJ. Can't wait for a future post from you again.

Your turn first though CYN ;)

Rogue

24. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Excellent writing, TMJ, and some good insights into humanity. I wonder what the further ramifications are, if QGJ believes that the Jedi lifestyle builds flaws into its members.

The more of these scenes I see, the more I wish that some imho more worthy master had taken Obi-Wan on.

It's neat that y'all have such a good rapport that you can collaborate together so effectively. :)

25. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree, CYN's turn first. ;)

I guess I see QGJ as being very disillusioned by the whole Xanatos thing. And probably, as most outwardly self-confident people I know, very much aware of his own faults and limitations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.