main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

French Horns: Playing techniques, history, and anything pertaining to French Horn discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by STACY-WAN_KENOBI, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Calling all hornists. Here is a thread for French Horn discussion anything pertaining to the French Horn.

**Note**
    This is for only French Horn discussion, not trumpets, trombones, or anything other than the French Horn.

~~Lady Legolas~~

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, my favorite instrument that isn't stringed in the french horn. :)

Do you know of any good pieces I ought to check out that are written for the French horn?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    ANVIL OF CROM, baby!

4. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    some of the best horn music classicaly speaking is mozarts 4 horn concertos, very fun pieces to play and hear.
    ~~Lady Legolas~~

5. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    This thread is making me horny. [face_laugh]

[face_plain] :( :_|

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Jedi_Nailbiter = banned!

:p ;)

I like the French Horn. Really mellow sound.

Plus, I remember on Stan Freberg's History of America, when Columbus gets to America we hear the following:

Colombus: I think the men are preparing to mutiny.

Crow's Nest: Land Ho!

Fanfare!

Colombus: What was that?

Crew: French horns.

[face_laugh]

Love Stan Freberg, yes, I do. :D

7. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    MLOL! [face_laugh]

thats hilarious. heres a randomm tidbit from the French Horn comedian Anna Russell

"to properly understand the french horn you must understand the mentality of a person who could play a thing like THAT!"

"they always seem to band together--they seem quite unaware that there is any other section besides their own section"

"then they took their instruments apart and dripped them on the carpet--its not what you thisnk it is--its condensation"

"the french horn is a german instrument and should not be confused with the english horn which is french and of course the english horn isnt a horn at all it is a sort of oboe"

"in fact you might say that the whole instrument works along the same sytem as the human digestive tract--only for noise of course"

i will type out the rest of the 11 min long skit when i get the time to do it. its really hilarious to listen to her talk about it. that skit is the theme comedy for my french horn section at my high school. the funny thing is that most of what she says is very true if not completely true about us horn players. 8-}

~~Lady Legolas~~

8. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I enjoy the French horn's sound very much. Unfortunately, as I compose MIDI music often, it sometimes frustrates me that most synthesized French horn voices don't come close to the true sound.

A question though: many say that the clarinet is possibly the best instrument at emulating the human voice. Personally, however, I feel that the French horn, if played in a certain manner, can create a much warmer, more 'human' sound. Do you agree with this?

9. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    You betcha Terr! i agree wholly with that. its a shame that people dont often see this.

~~Lady Legolas~~

10. Obi-pres

Obi-pres Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Hey guys. I play the French Horn and I was wondering if any of you could help me find Star Wars music for the French Horn. I have looked everywhere and cannot find it. Thanks for your help (if i get any).

11. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    There was this really hot girl that played the french horn in my highschool. She was alright.

Just thought I'd let you know 8-}.

Ciou-See the Sig

12. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    yeah--i have had trouble too. i dont think there is any, the star wars music is for trumpet (gggrrrrr!!). but you knw what aggravetes me most is the fact that they have star wars music for saxophone, when there is no sax in the london symphony orchestra. yet there are french horns in the london symphony orc. aint it ironic.

~~Lady Legolas~~

13. The_Joker

The_Joker Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2002
    What can you tell me about fingering a French horn?

14. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

Aug 6, 2001
    it depends joker, do you want f, or b flat. and do you want marching french horn or concert horn?

proud supporter of the holton holocaust!
    down with them evile mellophones, the instruments that sound like not-a-french-horn.

good night!

~~Lady Legolas~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.