main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Fresno Con

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by xdarthsmithiousx, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    Is anyone going to the Fresno Con on the 10th-12th?
    If you don't know already, then here's the link:
    http://www.djlprod.com/index.htm

It's not everyday that Chewbacca himself comes to these parts. Peter Mayhew!!! Yeah!!!

2. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    awww... i'd love to.

BUT... it's not every day there's a new pirate faire in bakersfield, which is closer and has a lot more of my friends. just bad timing... let me know how it is, though!

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Will also probably be going to Pirate Faire..Saw the info on this Con..hmmm not too sure...when the promoters spell a couple of major names wrong...have to really think about it. It just had a "hinkey" feel to it.. Course I'm an Old Con Rat...

4. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    looks like they are more interested in yu-gi-oh card tournaments than their special guests, at least to look at their master schedule. yu-gi-oh... oh boy. almost makes bakersfield in june look good.

(not trying to step on your good time, just don't get the card thing - could turn out to be a lot of fun, and it would be cool to meet mayhew, i never have)

5. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    I've known Mayhew for years. He can be fun to meet. But, yeah..the card tournament does sound like a priority.

6. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    yeah, no offense Jerster, but I thought it looked kind of lame from the get-go... the only "picture" i even recognized was Chewbacca.

7. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    I wasn't offended or let down that nobody was into it, the whole yu-gi-oh thing is noy my cup of tea by far. I am just excited to meet Mayhew that's all. I figured I'd go there to meet the guy then leave immediately, haahha

8. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    yeah, set up as a "collectible" con, throw in a few special guests, but basically an excuse to pimp card games...?

went to a con waaaay back when in fresno, was either late late 80s or early 90s, found it a bit underwhelming- it was all in one room, did the circuit in about an hour or two... and boy was i surprised when i went to diego and saw comicon a few years later! like the difference between the biggest high school football game in your hometown and the superbowl. full on sensory overload. [face_hypnotized]

9. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Information on the Fresno Toy Fair/Collectibles Con. Addmission is $10.00 per person per day. Children under 7 years free with adult paid admission.
    Honestly, I don't see much that interests me there except perhaps meeting up with the new Fresno Fan Force. I know we had talked about going last weekend but we also thought it was free admission. Thoughts? Ideas?

Golda

10. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    um.... nyet. in theory i am going to pirate faire (for which i have no ride) and i probably have no ride if i do want to go to fresno.

11. derekm001

derekm001 Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2005
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, I will be attending the Fresno Con. I was hoping to meet some of you there, but I guess not. I will have to try for another occasion. I have a Fresno Bee newspaper full page add that indicates the cost of admission is $6.00 General Admission and $50.00 for the dinner on the 11th. I hope it's $6.00 and not $10.00.

12. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    I was looking forward to going on friday because I only have that day off, but I guess Peter Mayhew isn't going to be there friday so I guess that's out the door. If anyone does go, let me know how it went.

13. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    $6 sounds better, and is probably correct if advertised. i only saw the website, and actually didn't think to look at admission price.

wouldn't mind going so much as a group, and anyone who knows me could tell you i certainly like collectibles! the biggest issue for me is the transportation. haven't got my blazer back yet, much less functional, and my husband flatly refuses to let me take the maverick that far in its current state. not even to bakersfield, which is 20 miles closer but a more dismal drive.

i do usually get up to fresno about once a month to buy comics and see friends, often with the wookiee. maybe meet for coffee or poison of choice sometime? that would be cool.

14. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    The $10.00 amount I got from a Fresno board so I really don't know and am just passing on information. I also don't know yet what is happening and if we are going to go up to Fresno or not. If anyone does go please let us know what you find there.

Golda

15. derekm001

derekm001 Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2005
    Well... the fee was 10.00, so the Bee got it wrong. And what a DISAPPOINTMENT. This was the smallest Convention I have ever attended. I walked it in about 15 minutes. Not worth the 10.00 enterance fee. I did chat with the star's in attendance except the two I really wanted to. Peter (Chewie) was their, I saw him, but as I was making my way to his table, he left. Figures. And Richard (Apallo from Battlestar Galactica) was a NO-SHOW. So as far as I am concerned it was a RIP. I won't ever attend another show/event by those who put this thing on. Oh.. and to top it off, to get signatures the stars wanted between 20-30 dollars. The last show I went to, I got David Prowse (Darth Vader) signature on two toys for 5 each. I think they would make more money and draw more people if it where not so expensive.

Just thought I would give you all an update.... you didn't miss anything.

16. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    wow. sorry that was such a disappointment for you! i too was extremely underwhelmed by the one i went to all those years ago... also talked to another comic fan i know in porterville, he went to some anime con in fresno not too long ago, and had pretty much the same experience.

bummer.

17. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    That really is unfortunate about the fresno thing. I was mad about not being able to go but I guess I didn't miss much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.