main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Friday The 13th Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Forgive me if there's already a topic about this, I searched to no avail. More than welcome to merge if any are around.

I thought this would be a good topic to do after my Phantasm one. As a lifelong Horror fan and someone who's been big into the genre even before SW, I owe much of my film-loving existance to Friday The 13th. They got me not only Horror but movies in general at a young age. Jason Voorhees is still one of my favorite villains ever and was a genuinely quite frightening character in the earlier films.

If you're a fan you can rank them if you'd like. My rank:

The Final Chapter
    Jason Lives
    Part 2
    The New Blood
    Part 3
    Part 1
    Reboot
    A New Beginning
    Jason Takes Manhattan
    Jason Goes To Hell
    Freddy Vs. Jason
    Jason X

The films can be of varying quality but there's definitely serious high points. I alternate between 4 and 6 as my ultimate favorite. 6 is a film I have a lot of nostalgia for being my first film ever seen when I was barely a year old (yep, I had a permissive mother :D), and my mind was blown at that age. Ever since then I've been a dedicated fan.

Excited for the new video game slated to come out later this year, where you can play as Jason. About time we got a new F13 game that allowed you to control him.

2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    1. Freddy vs. Jason -- It's more of a Krueger flick, but in any case, this movie is better than it had any right to be. Innovative direction, with a deliriously gonzo showdown. If the leads weren't so bland, this would be a cult classic.

2. Jason Lives -- The closest this series ever came to producing something halfway-decent. The direction is fairly competent, and the ticking-clock element injects a fair degree of suspense into the proceedings.

3 The Final Chapter -- Memorable turns by Feldman and Crispin Glover, and the last twenty minutes are pretty intense.

4. Part 1 / Part 2 (Tie) -- They're basically two-halves of the story, with a leisurely pace, a consistently unsettling tone, effective atmosphere, and sympathetic Final Girls.

The rest are pretty awful.

Best death:

Part 3 - Jason takes a machete right between the legs of some poor bloke performing a handstand. Good God.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Jason Lives
    Jason Takes Manhattan
    The Final Chapter
    The New Blood
    Part 2
    Friday the 13th
    Part 3
    A New Beginning
    Reboot
    Jason vs Freddy
    Jason Goes to Hell
    Jason X

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm not a huge fan of the Friday movies post-V, so here are my rankings:

Part 3(d)
    Part 1
    Part V: ANB
    Part IV: The Not-Exactly-Final Chapter
    Part 2
    The rest of them.

I never dug the idea of bringing Jason back in Part 2 and subsequently in the rest of the series. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense from a story standpoint ("you don't watch horror movies for the story, yadda yadda"). But Part 3 had a fantastic atmosphere and very unique kills that temporarily allowed me to forget about the Jason thing and Part V went back to the first films dodging of the Jason character altogether. Also none of my favorite Friday the 13th movies have Crispin Glover's crazy dancing.

As for Nightmare on Elm Street, my ranking would be:

ANOES
    ANOES 3/New Nightmare.
    The rest of them.

The second film of that series is almost a great sequel, which makes researching it frustrating. Freddy is still super intimidating and scary, but then the pool scene at the end kills any of his momentum. I dug the scene where he ripped himself out of Jesse's body though.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Best Jason Makeup: New Blood
    Best Boobs: New Beginning
    Best Spaceship Battle: Jason X

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was hoping this thread was about Friday the 13th series. I use to love that show.

[​IMG]

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I like all of the films except for "Jason Takes Manhattan".

Sure it does. Pamela thought Jason had drowned, but he didn't. He survived and because of his limited intelligence due to his being mentally disabled and having Hydrocephalus, he couldn't go back home and so he stayed in the woods and survived off of rabbits and bits of food that he could steal. Then he saw Pamela taking revenge on Friday the 13th, 1979 and watched as she was killed by Alice. The rest goes from there.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is what I thought I was being treated to, as well.

I'll say my top 3 are:
    Jason Lives
    Freddy VS Jason (I waited for this film for an ungodly number of years. It would have to have been Orgy of the Damned bad for me to not have wanted to marry it.)
    New Blood (Mainly because the FX were finally amazing)

vin and Healer_Leona like this.
  9. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    The F13 TV show was pretty good despite not having anything to do with the films. I remember it being quite eerie.

10. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    I do t ha e a problem with the idea that he didn't drown and she only thought he frowned, but from what we know the camp stayed open for a little while after the Jason incident and apparently Mrs. Voorhees lived nearby and visited the campground often, so why didn't Jason try to look for her or wander back into camp, and if he did survive in the woods how did he not die from starvation and how was a small boy with fluid in his brain able to survive all that time? For my own viewing experience, watching the sequels brings up those questions and I can't try to answer them to justify watching.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Most of them are pretty awful except for Jason Lives, which has this goofy self-aware vibe to it (sadly, it flopped horribly at the box office that year) and Jason Goes to Hell is one of the goriest films I've ever seen. It's insane. One guy melts to death for no apparent reason, and it's so utterly disgusting and awesome to watch. I really liked Freddy Vs. Jason because it married the concepts of both series (outlandish visuals/gallows humor vs. excessive nudity/killing/idiocy) to make the best horror film of 2003.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Jason didn't know that she was looking for him. The burnt out shack that he was living in was quite a ways from the main camp itself. To him, the days blurred one right into the other. As to Pamela, she returned to the camp and shut it down with the murders of Barry and Claudette. Then she set fire to the cabins in 59 and 60, before polluting the water in 61. That resulted in the camp shutting down until 79. As to Jason eating, remember that in the second film, we see the trap that strung up Scott when he was screwing around with Terri. The trap was his, not Paul's.That's how he survived.

"Jason Lives" made $19 million domestically. It wasn't a bomb. As to the death of Josh in "Jason Goes To Hell", Duke says that the host bodies that Jason jumps into cannot sustain his essence. That they become sick and weak. The end result of which is when he jumps bodies, the previous body starts to melt as it cannot survive anymore. The coroner, Josh, Robert and subsequently Randy all melt Jason vacates the body.

13. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Part III was the one for me as a kid. The crazy ending from II and Jason still more or less human. I love them all but III and Halloween were the first ones that I saw as a kid that freaked me out.

We put up this Jason every year in the Halloween display. :p

14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Hey, man! I didn't know you had an account here! As always, great to see that display. ;)

Anyway, here's some of my stuff:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    God, those displays are beautiful.

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Whoa!

17. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Zaxxon: Could you please post close-ups of the Shape replica? It looks like more of an accurate representation than any of the bloody sequels managed!

18. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

awesome pics man, I've been on here forever. :p

here's some more pics of the Michael Myers.

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Dang, that's one of the best eye cuts I've seen on a Creep.

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Final Chapter will always be my favorite. Everything just seemed perfect in that one. The music, a very pissed Jason(thank you Ted White), and little Corey Feldman being a badass. It's always my go-to Jason movie.

My ranking goes...TFC, 6, 2, 1, 3, 5, FvJ, 7, Remake, JX, 8, JGTH

Still waiting for the 13th movie that keeps getting delayed again and again...

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

I own this, coming up on four years.

22. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I regret not buying that set, although I'm pretty satisfied with the best-of he put on iTunes around the same time.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't know about a "best of" release. I know there was the 1982 album which had the score from the first three films, the ninth and tenth film soundtracks and then the solo release of the first film's soundtrack that came out after the box set sold out.

Anyway, my copy is also one of the leftover autographed copies available during the special screening. Wasn't intending to get an autographed copy, but it's fine by me.