main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Friends No More [Jag and Shawnkyr] - COMPLETE - Replies, 2/13/05!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Inara, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Title: Friends No More
    Timeframe: Post TJK
    Characters: Jag Fel, Shawnkyr Nuruodo, Jaina Solo, Cem Fel, and Rusa?tha?nuruodo (OC)
    Summary: The peerless friendship between Shawnkyr Nuruodo and Jag Fel is put to the test by misunderstandings and a betrayal of trust. Beset by unwelcome feelings, they learn that the thin line between friendship and desire is not always easy or wise to cross. As they ponder the strange turn their friendship has taken, they wonder if no price is too high to pay if a priceless friendship is at stake.
    Author Note: Originally started as a challenge response to pair two friends together, Friends No More has evolved into a study of culture, romance, and comradeship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW COVER ART:

[image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/Inara47/FNM21-vi.jpg]

And here is the old one:

[image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/Inara47/FNM.jpg]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even the most complicated of endings have simple beginnings.

Had Jag known the path his life ? and everyone else?s ? would have taken, perhaps his choice of ending would have been different.

It began a small step that did not seem like it would lead anywhere else. It was an accident, in fact. Had he not looked up at that particular moment, had instead kept his eyes elsewhere, it might have gone differently.

But he had looked up. And then he had thought of possibilities.

Possibilities were the worst curse of all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Csilla ? Five years after the defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong

The small restaurant was one of the newest on Csalpar, a small but tidy establishment that was known for the high quality of its food, as well as its penchant for using heavy seasonings. It was not something readily known about the Chiss, but they preferred food flavored with spices and peppers.

Davin had always said that it did nothing to spice up their personalities.

But Chiss food was among the best Jag had ever tasted, even when he had been abroad during the war.

He was currently waiting for Shawnkyr, who had asked to meet him here. Jag, as the CEDF?s liaison to the Alliance, was hardly within Chiss borders, and Shawnkyr, a star officer in Admiral?s Rekan defense fleet, rarely had reason to leave Chiss space. Thus, when both had found themselves on planet, they often met for meals or for simple walks together.

Shawnkyr was the woman who knew him best, better, he suspected, than his own mother did. Even better than Jaina Solo.

It was an understanding that was the result of their days together since they were at the Academy, almost twelve years ago. He and Shawnkyr were two chips off the same ice block. Jaina, on the other hand, had been fire to his ice.

Briefly, he allowed his thoughts to wander to Jaina. Time and space had placed a distance between them that Jag did not know how to breach. He had held on to hope, however, that Jaina would come back to her senses and accept his love.

He missed her.

?I can guess whom you are thinking of.? The pleasant voice belonged to none other than Shawnkyr, who stood above him with amusement gleaming in her red eyes. She was dressed in her black CEDF uniform, her black hair bound at the nape of her neck. ?Or else you would have made note of my approach.?

He stood with no small amount of delight. ?We have not seen each other in months, and yet you greet me thus??

"Say rather that it is a comment on two very strange personalities, one of which happens to be Chiss and the other of which happens to be human."

Jag shook his hear ruefully as he clasped Shawnkyr?s proffered hand with both of his. ?Sometimes, I wish that you would know me a little less well.?

She sat in the seat Jag pulled out for her. ?If I were unable to predict your actions, then I would not always be able to rescue you.?

?Who says I need rescuing??

?Your parents,? she said smoothly as she selected menu items from the console at their table.

2. zettazofia

zettazofia Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Very, very interesting...
    Loved how it got started, and that you then went back a little to explain.
    Looking forward to more,
    Zetta

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Nice start! Your cover art was impressive! I'll be looking forward to more of this one!

4. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Nice start Inara.

Jag's sudden interest in Shawnkyr's feminity is intriguing. I never felt interested enough in the Chiss themselves, how they deal with attraction to the opposite sex. I always figured Shawnkyr had some feelings for Jag. I wonder what she would do if he started feeling something back for her.

I'm going to make sure I follow this, see if you develop some sort of romantic relationship with them and then of course how and when J/J fits in.

5. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    [face_whistling] Oh a story...

* reads *

Nice... I like the way you write Jag and Shawnkyr is really cool here ( not to much of fan :p )

Oh and I would forget...

* throws tomatoes at Inara *

[face_devil] I might have missed in Resource Forum but now I've got you [face_devil]

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very interesting start.

7. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Yet another promising start from you, well done. And just a reminder since I'm the official J/J fic wrangler, don't forget to send the story information in a PM to the Jaina_Jag_Index. :)

8. MaraJade1225

MaraJade1225 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    awesome start!!....i haven't read "Red Sky, Blue Flame" yet...could you possiby e-mail it to me?

MaraJ

9. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    zettazofia: Thanks! I thought I'd play around with chronology here.

VaderLVR64: Thanks! I'm glad you liked the cover art!

Lola64: I always figured Shawnkyr had some feelings for Jag. I wonder what she would do if he started feeling something back for her.

The fun is in the responses;)

Chimpo_the_Sith: Glad you like Shawnkyr. And thanks for the tomatoes:p

FelsGoddess: Thanks!

BigFatty: I will be sure to send the info right away!

MaraJade1225: I'll definitely email you a copy:)

10. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    ~ A Friendship is Formed ~

While at the academy, Shawnkyr takes the first step in forming a lasting friendship.

Author?s Note: This story borrows heavily from Red Sky, Blue Flame. Once again, if anyone wants a copy, I?d be happy to email it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Csilla, Third Defense Fleet

Shawnkyr Nuruodo eyed the reports submitted by her squadron leaders. As the officer in charge of flight operations on Admiral Rekan?s defense fleet, she was entrusted with formulating and coordinating maneuvers for the clawcraft squadrons, and when she was able, she flew with her own Vanguard Squadron.

Her promotion was an honor, and many in the Chiss military whispered that she was marked as flag officer potential. She was a Nuruodo, after all, with military blood in her very veins. She took her responsibilities seriously, and thanks to her experiences during the war, she was one of the few Chiss who had experience interacting with outsiders. This gave her an advantage in the tactics department, which was another mark in her favor.

But, she reflected, as she put aside the never-ending reports, her recent successes had also separated her from her one real friend. Jag was sentenced to ambassadorial duties, since he was a human, and Chiss preferred to let humans deal with humans. Furthermore, Jag had already established relationships with many in the upper echelons of the GFFA, so it was only logical that he continue under a more official capacity.

Chiss did not have friends; at least, not in the way other races viewed such relationships. Chiss had acquaintances, and on occasion, a close relationship brought together by shared careers. But friendship was a selfish thing, one that complicated professional relationships. To care for a friend meant to put his interests above one?s own, or worse, above one?s duties.

Even marriages among the Chiss were made with little sentiment. Unions were geared towards bringing different houses or factions together. Love for family was a distant, minor thing. Love was certainly there, but it was not dwelt upon.

The Chiss people came first. Always. Any personal considerations were secondary.

So when Shawnkyr developed feelings of friendship for a human, no one had been more alarmed than she.

Jag Fel had proven himself that day at the academy, and Shawnkyr had recognized a true leader in him. It had not mattered that he was not Chiss. He had embodied the very ideals a Chiss warrior strove for, and he had honored the memory of Thrawn, a man that Shawnkyr had always striven to emulate.

It was acceptable to admire Jag Fel. Expected, even, though the friendship that had grown between them had not been, and their continued affection for each other had raised eyebrows.

But just as it had been easy to become friends with Jag, it had also been easy to fall prey to need as the years went by, and she found herself becoming more dependent on his friendship. Need was only a small step from bitterness, anger, and want ? uncharacteristic feelings for a Chiss, yet what else could be expected when one was close to a human?

By the time their friendship had come to the cliff edge, she and Jag had taken so many tiny steps away from being the respectful peers they had once been that Shawnkyr could no longer see it. And she certainly had no idea how to get to it from where she had ended up.

Yet Shawnkyr did not regret it. And that was the most alarming of all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chiss Training Academy, Thrawn?s Hidden Phalanx ? Four Years before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion

When reinforcements had finally come from Csilla, only five Chiss cadets had survived. The entire base was beyond salvageable, and now that the location was known to outsiders, the students would have to be transferred.

Since Shawnkyr had been ranking officer during most of the attack, it fell to her to report to her superiors. To her surprise, General Ondollo, who oversaw all training academies, had come himself. He was of

11. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Busy indeed. :p Looking forward to more. :)

I've always liked Shawnkyr, so this should be interesting. :D

12. zettazofia

zettazofia Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    I like the idea of Shawnkyr having a brother, and mourning for him, even if in a way that's sort of short, makes her feel even omore real.
    Well done.
    lol, and yeah, I guess saying they keep busy is a good PG way of putting it... :)
    -Zetta

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    ~ Cem Fel makes some startling observations ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a limit to how deeply one may feel about a friend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Qoribu

After another year of ambassadorial duty, Jag was finally assigned back to the Chiss fleet. His first assignment was at Qoribu, though he had nearly collapsed with nerves when he had learned that Jedi were involved, including Jaina Solo.

At first he had been worried in how to handle the situation, but thanks to Jaina's war-mongering, as his executive officer had called it, it was clear that he had to treat her like any other enemy.

Jaina simply did not understand the danger the Killiks posed. The Chiss had barely survived after losing five families to the Killiks. Now the weight of the Ascendancy was redistributed to the remaining four families. But if those Killiks entered Chiss space again...Jag could not even fathom the chaos that would befall them.

So he could not understand why Jaina had flown for them. Worse, she and her fellow Jedi had become Joiners, something that had repulsed Jag when he had found out. As reluctant as they were, the Ascendancy had no choice but to treat the Jedi as aggressors, especially since they had fired on Chiss vessels.

Not even Jag, as fleet commander, had been able to protect her.

He was not even sure if he had wanted too. Jaina attacked his fleet, and he was taking it personally. He had every right too. But, he reflected, at least she had warned him of the trap. He had been able to return the favor by returning Lowbacca, but that was after promising Formbi everything except his unborn children.

He looked around his well-ordered bridge. Now that the Hapans had agreed to move the nests to a new system, far away from Chiss space, he could breathe much easier. Lieutenant Commander Carnen,? he said to his executive officer. ?Where is Commander Shawnkyr? And has Unit 656 reported in??

?She is down in the hanger bay, sir. And Unit 656 have just cleared the force fields.?

Jag nodded. ?I will join Commander Shawnkyr. If Ambassador Formbi requires my presence, please contact me by comlink. You have the bridge, Carnen.?

Shawnkyr had transferred from Admiral Rekan?s fleet to Jag?s, out of preference, she had explained, though they both knew that she had missed his company over the years. And Jag was glad of it ? at least he had one friend on board.

Unit 656 was a Chiss scouting group that Jag had formed when he had arrived to take command of this fleet. While the battle had been raging, Unit 656 had held back and observed the Killiks and the Jedi, gleaning whatever information they could from them.

But before he made his way to the hanger bay, he stopped by his quarters to pick up a datacard, only to find Cem waiting for him by his door. ?Hey Jag.? Cem grinned, still dressed in his flightsuit. ?I wanted to see you.? Blond and blue-eyed like their mother, Cem was a lieutenant in the Chiss navy and flew with one of the clawcraft squadrons temporarily assigned to his ship.

?And gloat because you have the highest kills today??

He beamed. ?Well, now that you mention it...? Cem?s eyes turned serious when he examined Jag?s tired and pinched face. ?I see you heard about Jaina Solo becoming a Joiner.?

?Is everyone in the fleet aware of my personal life?? snapped Jag as he punched in his access code.

?Yes,? replied Cem instantly. ?You are the only one on board in love with a human.?

He turned to look at his brother. ?I am human. And so are you.?

Cem followed on Jag?s heels. ?Well, you do not count as human. The Chiss basically consider you Chiss ? even if you are short. And I at least am never in love.?

Jag ground his teeth in annoyance as he searched for the necessary datapad. It had always irked him that Cem was taller and better looking than he was, which had never really mattered since in the Ascendancy, the Fel family did not qualify as good looking by Chiss standards. They simply were not blue enough.

"I know what will make you feel

14. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh my goodness, I love your characterization of Cem! [face_laugh] May I ask what age you have him at here? And will we be seeing more of him? :)

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    ?No doubt they continued on in the hope of a better child??[face_laugh]

but that was after promising Formbi everything except his unborn children. Quite a hefty price.

"Cem, at least I care deeply for someone. You consider a relationship deep when you remember the girl's name the next morning." Touche. Point Jag.

Good updates.

16. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Hey!!! I missed two post!!! Grrr...

Now I'm back on track and I still think that this is really cool story :)

ag has blue eyes shock Yes, I have decided to go with the "new" version. I am assuming the Del Rey is trying to make corrections, so I'll go by that.

Del Rey can assume my ass!!! Jag has green eyes!!! I still have the first version of Ylesia where Jag has green eyes :)

17. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I'm with Chimpo, Jag must have green eyes. But everything else is wonderful.

18. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    So glad I stumbled upon this one too...you don't see many decent Shawnkyr/Jag pairings around! Again, you've got your characters dead-on, which is so amazing and wonderfully impressive!

I too, unfortunately, side with Chimpo and the others. Jag has green eyes, my dear. They were green originally. I would, however, permit a combination of "blue-green" eyes or "green-blue" or "bluegreen" or "seagrean" or "skygreen" or "greenish-bluish"...as long as we have the green in there. ;) Lol.

I'm so eager for more...definitely bravo =D=

19. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Gloria: I'm glad you like Cem! I placed him at about 24 - three years younger than Jag in this fic. And yes, you'll be seeing lots of Cem.

zettazofia: I guess saying they keep busy is a good PG way of putting it

Don't want to make the mods angry:p

FelsGoddess: Thanks! Glad to have you along with me here!

Chimpo_the_Sith: I'm glad you are liking the story - and yes, I have that copy of Ylesia too - but then I have the new one also, and I'm so confused. Why can't Del Rey make up its mind??? :_|

BigFatty: Welcome! And yes, I agree - I picture him with green eyes too.

jags_gurl: you don't see many decent Shawnkyr/Jag pairings around! Again, you've got your characters dead-on, which is so amazing and wonderfully impressive!

Thanks! And I really wanted to write something about their friendship, which is unique I think in the SW world.

Okay, all you green-eyed people - so here's the situation with that. I also received two PMs on this matter. To be honest, I had not realized that people would care that much, though in retrospect, I keep on writing green instead of blue as well. So I can go back to green and betray Del Rey. But this was Jag's chance of having variety!

Alright, on to the next post...

20. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    For those of you waiting for me to update A Higher Purpose, I promise it will be soon. Most of it is written, but I want to craft parts of it to reflect The Unseen Queen. So sit tight - it'll come soon!

~ In which both Shawnkyr and Jag are shocked ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The time has come for Shawnkyr to take the next step in her life, though her decision leaves Jag uneasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CEDF Intelligence Division, Csilla

?Father, you summoned me??

A dignified Chiss looked up from his desk to behold his daughter standing in the doorway. General Thevan was head of CEDF Intelligence, and as such, had been able to request Admiral Rekan to release her from her duties for a short while.

He rose, his face stern, but with a hint of affection in his red orbs. ?Shawnkyr, thank you for arriving quickly.? He clasped her hands within his ? a surprising display of affection on his part.

Thevan led her to a chair, and then he returned to his seat behind his desk. ?First of all, I would like to commend you on your performance at Qoribu.?

Shawnkyr accepted his praise with a slight nod. ?Thank you, sir. But as you are aware, I served at Jag Fel?s discretion.?

?Yes, Commander Fel has shown himself to be as resourceful as his father.? Thevan?s eyes gleamed in amusement. Like all other Chiss, he had been surprised when his daughter had become friends with the human, but after some time, Thevan now regarded young Fel with the affection he would reserve for a nephew.

?How is Mother?? asked Shawnkyr.

Her mother, an Inrokini, was a genetic scientist. ?She is well, though I have not seen her in well nigh three months.? Marel was currently at a hidden research facility in the midst of an important project.

She nodded. Her mother had always been very wrapped up in her work. Taking a moment to examine her father, she was startled to note that more white dominated his black hair, and his skin was not as smooth as it used to be. Age was taking its toll on Thevan.

?Sir, might I inquire of the reason for your summons?? Now that pleasantries had been exchanged, it was time to move on to business. She had no wish to waste her father?s time.

Thevan gazed at his daughter for a few more moments. ?I suppose there is no way to bring up the subject subtlety, so I shall be direct. There is a young man who serves in my department, and I believe him to have great potential?perhaps even taking my place when the time comes.?

She nodded as he continued. ?Rusa?tha?nuruodo?s mother and I have been entertaining discussions of a possible union between the two of you.?

Shawnkyr kept her face still. She should not have been surprised, for she was at the age that marriage generally took place for Chiss. And now that she had an established role in the military ? as opposed to flying around from one end of the galaxy to the other with Jag ? it was as good time for a marriage as any.

It did not occur to her to ask about the man her father had selected. He would be mindful of her best interests, as well as that of her family, in planning such a union. If her father believed him to be a suitable candidate as a husband for his daughter, then Shawnkyr would trust his judgment.

?Have you any objections, Shawnkyr??

Looking away, she considered her situation. She was not excited, but then, such unions were not meant to be exciting. They were formed for two practical reasons: to bind families together and to produce children. Since neither of those objectives bothered her, she had no reason to object.

?I have none, sir.?

Thevan leaned back in his chair and regarded his daughter with the eyes of a parent. Shawnkyr was tall for a Chiss female, but her features were rather comely, and many had remarked on the fairness of her face. But she could also be less amenable at times, her eyes a shade too watchful, and her wits too sharp to find favor in a world where cleverness was not encouraged in its people. Yet there was a certain air of efficiency about her that often att

21. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Awww...Jaggie is smitten! I can't wait to see how he's going to steal Shawnkyr away from Athan. Although he seems likable enough, I'm not sure I like Athan, especially since he's interefering with Jag's potential happiness, lol.

I'm finding your interpretations and insights in the Chiss culture simply excellent and very believable - keep up the great work! :D

Also, so glad you realize our position on the color of Jag's eyes. Join the club, we've got jackets. ;)

Waiting eagerly for more as always :)

22. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Interesting take on all this. I like how you weave a lot of detail into your story. :D

I love the green eyes debate. Don't take it too personally it's just that so many people are perturbed at DelRey for the Ylesia revision. My guess is the person who line edited Ylesia was going off the latest blue-eyed Jag goof. For most fans of Jaina, and especially fans of Jag, the early notion in canon of all the 'green-eyed men in Jaina's orbit' was particularly intriguing. I think that goes whether you're a Kyp, Jag or Zekk fan. Now someone at DelRey is making Kyp brown-eyed and Jag blue-eyed? What it boils down to is that fans just aren't feeling that the profic writers love the characters like they do. For someone who has been reading the NJO series over the last few years, all they've known is Jag as a green-eyed fellow - it wasn't even a question, and now he's changed suddenly?

Can you imagine if they suddenly changed Mara's eyes too?

As for your story, keep up the good work =D=

23. annabella79

annabella79 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    Oh, I like Shawnkyr! I always thought her interesting and far more deserving of attention than the pittance of time NJO spent on her.

24. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Green-eyed, blue-eyed...at least we know for sure what color Shawnkyr's eyes are:D

25. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    jags_gurl: I can't wait to see how he's going to steal Shawnkyr away from Athan.

The question is, will Shawnkyr let herself be stolen away? [face_thinking]

TKeira_Lea: Interesting take on all this. I like how you weave a lot of detail into your story.

Thank you :)

Now someone at DelRey is making Kyp brown-eyed and Jag blue-eyed?

Well, the reason that I felt compelled to make the change was because Jag was also given blue eyes in TUF, I think (that or TFP - one of those two). And Kyp originally had brown eyes in the Jedi Academy trilogy, as Annabella has also pointed out.

Jag having blue eyes is unbelievable, I guess, but I like the effect of it.

annabella79:
    Oh, I like Shawnkyr! I always thought her interesting and far more deserving of attention than the pittance of time NJO spent on her.

Me too! If people write stories about far more minor characters, Shawnkyr is definitely worth exploring.

And to all those lurkers I KNOW are out there... :)

Thanks for sticking along with this story. I had meant this story as something to do while I stalled A Higher Purpose (which won't be for long, but there are so many TUQ spoilers in it that I thought it prudent to wait at least until some people could finish reading it). But now this story is worming its way into my heart, and I really want Shawnkyr and Jag to be happy - though whether they find happiness in each other is something I won't reveal :)

Next post coming up as soon as I'm down with mark ups!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.