main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Friends

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barkey Foreman, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barkey Foreman

Barkey Foreman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    I recently started on Friends but stopped at Episode 5 because I was busy finishing up Zatchbell and Jackie Chan Adventures. As soon as I finish with Jackie Chan I will be focused this summer on Friends, Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles 80s, and the last 3 Sailor Moon 90s series for much of this year.

Does anyone here remember this 90s mega hits? I never got around watching it until recently both because I was born in the 90s and I pretty much ignored it even after learning of its existence because I thought it didn't fit my taste and was probably lame (back when I was younger I was gung ho about the military and preferred military genre over everything else)

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    From WWI to Friends. Barkey Foreman sure has diverse tastes...

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Why is your font really small and grey against a grey background?

4. Barkey Foreman

Mar 10, 2014
    Nah I just am into mass media in general. I no longer care about military things but the 100th anniversary is coming up its going to be a big deal no matter who you are and it brings very painful memories to me.

I'm wondering that too, Another thread I psoted was literally blank I had to type the whole thing from scatch. Maybe some glitch (I had a hard time logging in and for some reason on my last attempt using the same pssword I was finally able to enter).

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Much like Seinfeld, I've seen about 5-10 episodes of Friends thus far in my existence. However, unlike that great Larry David-Jerry Seinfeld creation, Friends is an irritating program*.

*Certainly the theme song.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    There was an episode of Friends where Joey dressed up like a WWI doughboy, so the connection is obvious.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Fred Mertz's doughboy > Joey's doughboy

8. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Friends was great. But one year the WWF started up a Thursday show---this would be when they were quite frankly awesome---, long before dvr, and I never looked back.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Friends is the screen saver for the mind. Can't remember who said it, but it's true.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    "This is ancient Earth's most foolish program. Why does Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the other five?"

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Crystal duck?

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    There have been hit TV shows since, but I don't think any will ever again reach the level of cultural saturation that Friends did. Our pop culture is just too fractured in the internet era for something to so completely capture our collective imagination the way it did.

Just as Anakin Skywalker was born from Midichlorians, Friends was born from mid-90s Zeitgeist.

14. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Maybe, but Joey's doughboy got spit on by Gary Oldman, for the win.

darthdrago likes this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Because it was cut and pasted from here, and didn't have the formatting stripped:

http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9094.0

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    a zero response thread. about what it deserved tbh.

Diggy and jp-30 like this.
  17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What does that say about us though?

Rosslcopter likes this.
  18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    nothing positive.

19. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    thread whores basically

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    But with Gary Oldman....

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Spot on, it's the ultimate "No idea what to watch, so let's put this on" show. BBT is quite close behind though.

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    At our house we put on Everybody Loves Raymond, or King of the Hill. Sometimes Are You Being Served... I think we've seen every ELR at least five times.... it's like background noise.

23. Barkey Foreman

Mar 10, 2014
    Your statements (not just yours, DarthCaedus's too) is very ironic when you take into account Friends was the biggest hit of the 90s and morseo the most popular American TV show internationally.

As in in many countries, Friends actually outmatched ratings and reruns more than any other show that were produced domestically and even outmatches other international American exports (or shows that have a big cult following worldwide) such as Supernatural, the X-Files, and so on.

The fact it literally surpassed the popularity of mega hits in America like Buffy the Vampire Slayers and Xena (and trust me many of these shows were aired in other countries around the same time Friends was), proves its not a show people only watch when they are bored and couldn't find anything else and most definitely not a screensaver. I mean it is so huge in the UK they still air reruns to this day! That's saying something.

And before anyone accuses me, I am not a diehard fan. In fact I a new to the series and temporarily halted to finish up other TV series such as Sailor Moon and Courage the Cowardly Dog. I even admit so far the show hasn't matched its hype from the first 4 episodes I seen. But I just have to clarify there has to be far more to the show than people in this thread has commented so far.

Foreigners even use Friends as a tool to ****ing learn English! Making it all the more noteworthy than say Supernatural or Criminal Minds.

24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Yes. It is saying the same thing as the fact that McDonalds is a worldwide chain selling millions of something described as a "burger" per year, despite said burger containing nothing but quantities of salt and fat sufficient to make your arteries panic just to look at it.

Protip: when teaching English, or indeed any language, to someone, you generally start with the most basic words, sentences, and phrases. And when attempting to understand spoken English you generally want to start with the most simplistic conversation that even a four-year-old can follow. This, indeed, makes Friends completely fit for that purpose, but not, sadly, fit for watching by anyone with an IQ out of double digits who can already comprehend the English language.

25. Barkey Foreman

Mar 10, 2014
    If you're looking for a super complex story on the same scale of say Gone With the Wind or Game of Thrones, look elsewhere. They are different genres type and Friends is a sitcom comedy making that point moot.

Come on! Seinfeld and other similar sitcoms aired internationally how come none of them are mega hit nor any of them used as a tool to learn English? At least Seinfeld itself proved to bean international hit, on the same league as Friends and in some countries such as Israel, it is tied as most popular and most runs. The fact not even Seinfeld is used as a tool to learn English language is saying there is something about Friends that makes it unique.

Also before dismissing Friends as some mainstream trash that is the McDonalds of live action TV show, Friends won the Emmy consistently during its original run including best comedy show several times in a row. I hope you're not going to try to argue the Emmy is bestselling McDonalds crap ? :p

And while it never reaches epic proportions like Tolkien and the same level of character development as say Gone With the Wind or Harry Potter (which it was never intended to be to start with), for a sitcom it does have strong character development. The fact is a large reason (perhaps the primary reason) for its popularity is precisely because viewers can identify with the cast and their real life day-to-day problems fro trying to find a girlfriend to trying to cope with work. I can already assume you will also say Harry Potter is for people in the single digits IQ and anyone as an intellectual wouldn't read that (roll eyes). Not the most complex story but it is certainly one with some of the most identifiable main casts out there in fiction (and this is coming from someone who only watched a few episodes).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.