main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Fright Night Film Fest/Fandomfest planning thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Fright Night Film Fest is being grown (hopefully) into a multi-genre con called Fandomfest instead of just a horror convention. At ConGlomeration the promoter/owner approached us and we were able to give some input towards who we felt would be good Star Wars guests. Jeremy Bulloch is already booked and there may be more names coming but even if it's just Jeremy that's plenty of reason to attend. I think the last time he was in the area was 2007 at a comic show in Metropolis IL. If the Star Wars fans show up in force we can expect more (and possibly even bigger names) in the future. The promoter is also wanting some Star Wars programming which the 501st/RL/Mandos/TDE will probably provide but it will take ALL the area Star Wars fans to make this con a success. It's still far enough away so save up your credits, throw on a Star Wars shirt or costume and be a visible presence, sit in on the Star Wars panels, and come on out and show Jeremy some Kentucky hospitality.

Given I'm probably going to wearing a lot of hats (and costumes) that weekend I may go ahead and get a hotel room. If I do and if suites are available I'll have a little private shindig for us like I did this last weekend.

I'm thinking if we have a good LGA turnout we might think of getting some kind of Welcome Pack together for Jeremy.

Dar is going to be broken up he can't be here but isn't his kit in storage over at Zannah's? We can check with him and see if maybe he might like his helmet or a piece of his armor autographed by Jeremy (I wouldn't think of doing something like that without asking you first if you're listening in Dar). I'd be willing to pay for it or we could chip in as a group as a welcome home present to him. .

We're still pretty far out so I'll keep a weather eye out for any developments...good or bad.

Feel free to chime in with thoughts and ideas.

2. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    getting Jeremy to sign his kit sounds like a great idea... I hope I can attend... the wife is pregnant again so I may have to save my days off for when the baby is born, but I'll see what I can do ;)

3. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    This all sounds wonderful Mika! I think something to Jeremy on behalf of LGA is an awesome idea! We're all here to support it, of that you can be sure. This is getting very exciting! =D=

4. DarthCyrin

DarthCyrin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2010
    I am really excited about this con.. Has our friend emailed anyone about the panel he wanted us to do? And a welcome basket of sorts for Jeremy is an awesome idea Mika!

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks! I'd also like to see about getting a group shot of the LGA with him with our banner.

I emailed Ken last week to see if he wanted to send me some of those promotional cards for FandomFest to put out on the LGA table for Free Comic Book Day but I never heard back from him.

6. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    I know what you mean, I called him to let him know that that TDE had gotten a hold of a manager for a certain Star Wars celeb, to contact him... per his request.

While speaking with him, I told him that along with the rest of the fan groups, I wanted to let him know that TDE would definitely have representation in the "Meet The Fan Groups Panel". I didn't want to show up and him not know we were supposed to be there. (Covering my basis a little better I hope) smiles.

He remembered me and told me he really appreciated the help from TDE about the celeb contact. He asked me to send him an e-mail with my phone number so that he could have my e-mail contact and a number in case he needed to get in touch with me directly, so I did.

In the e-mail, I asked him to respond so that I could know for sure that he'd received it, but I never heard back from him either.

I don't know if I should e-mail him again or not Mika. I don't want to become a pest, I fully realize he must have his hands full, but I want to make sure he has the info.

I need to speak with you about the Panel and all. I'll send you a PM shortly. [face_batting]

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Checked with the hotel and even though we're still 2 months out there are no suites available for this weekend (they only have 8 total). If I had to guess I'd say they've been booked for the con guests. So I won't be having a get planned room get together. I haven't decided for sure but I may still get a regular room, just as a place to store stuff and change and as a meet up spot.

8. Kepare

Kepare Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2010
    A host of the BMC is planning on being there as well. I'm kind of in limbo, ATM. We ate a service center a couple of months ago, so things have been a bit busy and I may be in mandatory OT. On the plus side, cash monies. On the down side, no funnies.

9. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Hey Kapar, I do hope you can make this... it would suck for you to be me. :_| But.... monies are always nice eh? If you have to miss it for something, might as well be for cash. LOL! [face_batting]

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Update: Looks like we'll be doing a "Meet the Local Star Wars Fan Groups" type panel tentatively scheduled for Saturday at 2PM. So if someone feels like doing some public speaking on behalf of The Louisville Galactic Alliance let me know.

We're working on getting some times for the Louisville Galactic Alliance group shot as well as the costume groups group shot but it may be a fly by the seat of your pants kind of thing. Regardless we're shooting for Saturday for those as well so if you can only afford to go one day Saturday is your day.

We're also working on some more stuff behind the scenes so stay tuned.

They've posted an early schedule of events...
    http://www.frightnightfilmfest.com/schedule.html

11. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Just saw where they have added Daniel Logan to the guests. This is going to be even more awesome.

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yay! It's official then. Zannah and I had to keep a lid on it until it was a sure thing. We're assiting Ken with bringing Daniel in as a guest.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay some announcements to be made...

-All the Star Wars action has been bumped to Sunday. The Star Wars Fan Groups panel is now a Star Wars Costuming panel and is scheduled for Sunday at 10am.
    http://www.frightnightfilmfest.com/filmfestivalinfo.html
    Immediately following at 11am will be the "Fetts" panel. Show up or it will just be me and I'll get all fanboy on them and they wouldn't like that at all.

-I'll need a head count of who will be there what days. I'd still like to do an LGA welcome for Jeremy and Daniel on Saturday but if another day works better for everyone else we can move it. If it's okay with Zannah we'll probably use her Dark Empire table as a rally point.

-I also want a head count on who's attending because those that show up are getting a special present from me in advance of everyone else.

-We want to make sure Jeremy and Daniel are well taken care of and have a good time. I'm going to make sure they know we're at their disposal for the weekend. So if you're going to be there and I don't already have your cell # on my "con phone" (which will be activated for the weekend) I'm gonna get it. I may call you to make a run for Red Bull or some other special request. And make sure your car is cleaned out...it's a long shot but you never know if you'll be ferrying one of the guests somewhere.

14. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I should be there all three days unless something comes up. Going to try to be there 7:30ish Friday. PS. Everyone remember that they are showing the Star Wars lego premiere at 7:00 Friday on the Cartoon Network but it looks like there will be plenty of reairing.

15. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Brandy and I will be there all 3 days :)

16. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Actually, I will probably be there earlier since I looked at the schedule and saw they are showing Captain America at 5.

17. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Mika, everything is a go, go, go. I'll be there with Darth Wraithen...(Chris) on Thursday to set up TDE's fan table. You are more than welcome to make it a focal point for any need necessary. Also, anyone in the LGA needing a place to rest is welcome to stop by. I will at least have some water there if your thirsty, or just need a place to take a load off. Mika, I would also welcome some LGA fliers at the TDE table. This is also my baby and I love the LGA very much. You guys are my homies first! [face_dancing]

WOW... I wouldnt of wanted anything to have happened like it did to cancel the families trip to the smokies... but as both my Aunt.. "and" Uncle are doing very well indeed... I'm so very happy to be able to be at this Con. Not only is it going to be incredible, but I've missed you all something terrible. And I need to see your smiling faces right now. Stang I miss you guys.. I hope that "everyone" can make it. See you all soon. [:D]

18. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Wo-Hoo!
    (I knew I forgot something while I was away)

I can be there on Sunday, Mika do you still need someone to rep the LGA in any way?
    Just, let me know how I can help. Or else, I will just bug Boba Fett all day. :)

Jammies

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks Jammies but I guess we're just going to have to be walking ambassadors for the LGA.

Looking at more updates on the website and it looks like they're going to have the Fetts (or as the website says "the bobo fetts") together for photo opps. If they have a nice back drop it could be nicer than just grabbing them at their tables for our LGA group shot but there's no way to know for sure before we get there. So...I propose we meet at Saturday at Noon at the Dark Empire table after we've scouted the con a bit and discuss what our plan will be.

20. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Slight change of plans...I.won't be there Friday but am still attending both Sat. and Sun.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well, I'd like to know what everyone thought of this weekend. We had a big LGA turnout and even an unscheduled "Meet and Eat" Saturday night. While I'm still floating on air from getting to hang with Daniel and Jeremy this weekend it's very hard for me to put a positive spin on the con. It was very disorganized, they had Jeremy and Daniel in separate buildings, there was no airconditioning in the dealer area of Jeremy's building and the hotel itself was pretty dated. If any of the guests stayed in rooms like mine I would be embarrassed. And of course the Star Wars programming was shuffled off to Sunday morning when no one was there and no one told Jeremy about his panel, we had to send a Mando to go get him. I guess if they have a Star Wars guest next year I'll go back but I don't think I'll troop it or be involved with the organizers again.

Jeremy and Daniel were gracious all weekend and they really enjoyed their LGA Kentucky Welcome Swag Bags
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Fright%20Night%20Film%20Fest%202011/008.jpg]

If anyone has some better pictures (Cungr?) Mrs jedimika was taking photos from the side for some reason
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Fright%20Night%20Film%20Fest%202011/049.jpg]

The rest of my pictures are here...
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Fright%20Night%20Film%20Fest%202011/?start=all

22. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I went to the Henry Wrinkle Q and A and someone had to fetch him as well because he had not been informed. Also, there was a thing Saturday night that was supposed to be a body art/band/masquerade ball. Mindtwister said they only did the body art and band part and started putting the chairs up because a movie was scheduled to start.

23. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I will look over our pictures to see if there was a better angle from the LGA shoot. Brandy might have gotten a better one. Also, be glad you did not go to the Ball. They had the six ladies there showcasing their "body art", and then a terrible band started playing. The lead singer was doing things I wish I could unsee, but it's too late now. After their terrible set, they started playing a movie and just kinda swept the costume contest under the rug, which is sad, because I had friends there dressed as Borg and a dead pirate, and they may have won the whole thing. So, yeah, be glad you didn't go.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hated to miss it (stuff came up at the very last minute), but glad our stuff went well.

Jammies

25. JeanineMor

JeanineMor Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2011
    There was also supposed to be a costume contest on Sunday afternoon but no staff bothered to come & run it. Very disorganized, missed some events I would have gone to if they had given out a schedule at registration. I went this year just because they had added other genre besides horror to this show, didn't wear a costume as just wanted to see how normal attendees treated at this new to me con. Might have forgiven some of the things that went wrong, but the con has been deleting feedback that they don't like instead of addressing all the various problems.

I am still working on getting my pictures & stuff online. Once I've got SW stuff online will post the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.