main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I know what you're saying. But since the YA/MG novels have nothing to do with the adult novels, the effect is just disappointment that those exist. That's what I'm saying.

There isn't a lack of adult novels. It's just that we have MG/YA novels in addition.

I'm not expecting you to explain anything, I'm just saying one shouldn't put too much weight on "adult."

But people like what they like, that's fine. My main point is that the MG/YA novels are not being made at the expense of adult novels.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That it's yet another retelling of A New Hope.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm kind of actually wanting future lottery numbers from people now, such is their certainty that this'll be rubbish I'm suspecting they've a covert TARDIS they've been using.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  4. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

Seems like a bit of a misunderstanding then. As I said, I was not "complaining" about the existence of MG/YA novels, nor was I implying that they are somehow taking the place of adult novels. I am simply expressing the disappointment one might feel when a novel is announced and one gets their hopes up but it turns out to be a MG/YA book that one is much less likely to enjoy.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    See, 3 years back EH I'd have likely been thinking the same way - why are they doing all these YA books? Lost Stars? Sounds like a crappy romance book, oh,sounds like it will be too!

Yet, at the same time, one of the authors on one of those YA books was Greg Rucka, whose work I've read and enjoyed a lot of. Another was Jason Fry, whose work I'd read in the Essential Atlas and Guide to Warfare. If these guys are doing a book, I ought to consider that my inclination to avoid the books was in error. (If we go by the Thrawnian distinction of error and mistake.)

The result was a set of stories that, in comparative terms, smacked the crap out of Aftermath, the 'adult' novel that came out at the same time. I enjoyed Aftermath sure, but I enjoyed Smuggler's Run, Weapon of a Jedi, Moving Target and Lost Stars far more.

So as a result of that experience I've concluded the age rating on books is mostly meaningless now.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but I think it's kind of interesting that the title of this book is based on a quote from not ANH but ROTJ[​IMG]

7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Considering Lost Stars was one of the best Star Wars books ever...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

I found it very predictable and lacking any real depth. I didn't hate it but didn't really like it either. Much preferred Bloodline.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This book IS a retelling of ANH

From A Certain Point Of View! [face_clown]

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

It's pretty much Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina but instead of just being about the cantina, we will likely get:

The boarding of Tantive IV
    The capture of the droids by the Jawas
    The search by Sandtroopers
    The meeting on the Death Star
    The deaths of the Larses
    Going to see Leia
    Outside the Cantina
    Inside the Cantina
    At Spaceport Speeders
    Alderaan before destruction
    Escape from the Death Star
    Yavin briefing
    Battle of Yavin
    Ceremony

Darth Caliban and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My only super mild issue with this book is that they don't have a short Tarkin-based story by Luceno, following up on his Tarkin novel and Rogue One. But I imagine the reason is that Tarkin's been too popular lately, so he's not the type of minor character they're looking for.

13. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I can imagine a Motti short story where it reveals that prior to the death star explosion he'd planted a bomb on Vader's Tie Fighter as revenge for showing him up in the meeting. Just as Motti's about to press the detonator during the battle of Yavin....

Motti: Goodbye Vader I found your lack of perceptiveness disturbing!
    (Death Star Explodes)

The End

Darth_Voider and Darkslayer like this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

Darth_Voider likes this.
  15. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm hoping that the Death Star conference room scene is shown through the eyes of High General Trech Molock, the random background character with the least fleshing out. As it transpires, he's the smartest person in the room, with his inner monologue showing how perceptive he is, but every time he tries to open his mouth he gets interrupted by something: Motti and Tagge bickering again, Tarkin showing up and announcing the premature and foolish dissolution of the Imperial Senate, Vader unsurprisingly choking Motti for running his mouth off, etc. While all this pointless background noise is going on, his mind starts to wander and he thinks back to all the incredible things he did throughout his career to end up there near the pinnacle of Imperial power, only to find himself fading into the background because he's surrounded by extremely vocal idiots. His only line, if you can even call it that, is an exasperated sigh when the meeting is dismissed before he gets the chance to pipe up and say something, anything interesting that sets him apart from all the others.

16. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    No-one wanting the Conference Room scene from Yularen's POV. Obvious choice in my opinion, since we never see inside his head post-Clone Wars

17. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Yes, this is a retelling - but once you see the full story list I think you'll see that we aren't being militant about actually retelling 100% of the film. We are not lining up all the stories and ensuring that every second of film time is actually represented in the book somewhere. Certainly, as you read you'll always know where in the film you are, but that's not THE point of the book.

And while looking at TALES FROM THE books as reference is good, again, I wouldn't hold so fast to the notion that we are doing exactly those stories or that setup again. This book is definitely different.

18. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Hope this format ends up becoming a series.

Imagine an "certain point of view book" for EVERY star wars film (including Rogue One)

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So long as there's a "Meanwhile, on Coruscant..." story :p

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Of course not. That's where the inevitable ebook/paperback bonus short story comes in. ;)

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ah... so we're back to making digs at people who aren't excited for the book? Well, that didn't last very long.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Ohhhh I get it. Due to the success of Ian Doescher's Star Wars Shakespeare, this is a screenplay for a musical in the vein of Cats, where all 40 characters come out and sing a piece written by each of the authors.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    IT WAS A ****IN' JOKE!

Over 10 years of talking SW and getting on just fine and you decide to do this kind of crap with me Jeff? I expected better of you. Oh and clearly I ought to plaster every one-liner with emojis.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Apologies, then. I read it as a passive-aggressive dig, but if it was meant to be light-hearted then that's my mistake. Carry on. [face_peace]

Also, has it really been more than ten years? Damn. Every year I tell myself I'm going to stop posting here, but every year I realize that I have nothing better to do with my time. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks Jeff, it was absolutely light-hearted in intent. I did really consider it to be quite obvious, I'm not any good at stuff like passive-aggressive, well I don't think I am... I'll also admit to being bloody tired and cranky today so yeah, my response to you probably looks harsher.

As to the years, well, your start date is 2006 so....

I'll throw in I don't mind people not being excited for this, it's writing it off completely at the point of announcement that comes across as bad form to me. Someone's got 40 authors on-board for the 40th anniversary of ANH, a big announcement is done and it gets met with 'it'll be crap', doesn't seem fair.

Sinrebirth likes this.