main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    :( Noooo I like MAS. I'm still holding out for my Corran/Kirtan Corellian buddycop adventure.

Thanks for answering, DarthInternous!

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Even Garth Ennis did a story for Star Wars Tales, with one of his regular partners-in-crime, John McCrea on art. Of course it was great.

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Trooper? I thought that was terrible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's right, while every real world military in the world tries to instill a sense of camaraderie amongst it's soldiers, the Empire has a "let em die! Even if it's just a training exercise!" philosophy. I don't mind a story from the Imperial perspective, but what's the point if you're just going to make them cartoonishly evil? I get that the Empire has a disregard for human lives, they built a planet destroying super laser after all, but even by those standards this is just excessive and wasteful. No wonder they lost the war.

*steps off of soap box*

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Hmm... now, just maybe, this might have been the intended message of the story?

JoinTheSchwarz and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Maybe, but with an approach to recruitment like that it's surprising they got anywhere close to victory. Hell it's surprising the Empire functions at all!

Like I said, I don't mind a "The Empire has a disregard for human life" message, but I thought the way it was done was too over the top and unrealistic. The only way it could get even sillier is if it turned out the Empire had no medics and didn't treat it's wounded soldiers out of a misguided sense of Social Darwinism ("If you got injured, you're weak! And the weak deserve to be culled from the herd!").

6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I just want this anthology to include some legend canon EU stories.

It is the 40th anniversary of the entire Star Wars after all.

But if I'm really lucky, it will include POV of a loyal imperial who assassinates Mas Amedda.

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I hope there's no POV of this kid
    [​IMG]

8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What if Vader didn't kill him and he's actually Snoke?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the same Empire that says to its TIE pilots: Shields? You don't need 'em!

If you want to pull the teeth just consider the Stormie telling this story to be full o' crap.

Daneira likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    What if Vader did kill him, and he's actually Snoke? [face_nail_biting]

11. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I don't need to consider the Stormie to be full of crap, even in Legends it was considered non-canon :)

Anyway, IMO there's a difference between treating troops like canon fodder (which many dictatorships in history have done), and deliberately killing massive numbers of recruits during training (which to my knowledge is not a thing). In addition, the TIEs not having shields arguably has a tactical justification, as it makes them lighter and more maneuverable. Also there are other problems I have with the story, namely the main nameless character. I want to see something like Lost Stars where the Empire takes good people and grinds them down till they see the morally dubious as perfectly acceptable. What's the point if the trooper is a sociopath at the start, and a sociopath at the end?

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    This is actually a huge minus for the Empire.

The way the Empire allegedly have this official policy of "let them die if they don't qualify. Do not establish camaraderie."

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is getting confusing, why is this non-canon story such a big deal for you?

Also, what you describe in terms of what you'd prefer probably isn't going to happen in that short a story - there's a lot that can be done but that'd be pushing it. The Tank epic is probably the best alternative but that was 15 entire issues in contrast.

14. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Its not a big deal to me. The story was mentioned, I brought up something about it that always bugged me. And people replied to me about it, so I replied back. I do think the story is silly, but I don't have a vendetta against it or anything.

Stymi, Vthuil and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, OK then.

I'll let you get back to discussing other stuff with crazier posters elsewhere.

16. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Hey now, I sometimes have conversations with non crazy people too :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's also relevant insofar as the whole question of whether getting "famous" authors is inherently good is related to the main topic.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Prediction: Stover will never write for Star Wars again. In addition to his self-confessed deadline issues, which he himself admitted soured Star Wars to further work from him, it looks like he hasn't published anything in roughly five years or so.

I'd definitely like to see more. But I don't think we will.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It won't.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

JediBatman, Jedi Ben and Dante1120 like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This...this is an ANH anthology...

And...Amedda was alive in Aftermath...

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

This is officially my favourite Snoke theory. Snoke DOES have, y'know, a hole / slash in his forehead.

22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Somebody knows what Meg Cabot will write?

23. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    How many authors have confirmed what stories they're writing?

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think I read somewhere the Dianoga will have a story? If so that is wicked.