main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Most importantly, putting authors on the cover gives proper credit for their work.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This should be very illuminating. A lot of authors I've heard of but never read, and some I'm not familiar with at all.

It'll be a treat.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    That's a lotta marvel folks

4. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Looking forward to it. If it's a success, I'd love to see follow-ups for both Empire and Jedi.

Jedi Ben, starfish and LelalMekha like this.
  5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I really wouldn't be surprised if this Certain POV book becomes a series that eventually gets an entry for each of the films similar to William Shakespeare's star wars

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My only issue with it continuing is that Hobbie will get a short story death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starfish likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Oh man, that will be a sad one.

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    *yawn*

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

I agree with both. I like the authors on the front and the layout overall works, but there are parts that seem too crowded. It'll be interesting to see IRl.

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If this book doesn't have a Trech Molock story we're never gonna get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vthuil and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    This better be a big book like 600 pages or more otherwise the stories with so many authors would mean each story will be really short. Looking for at least two or more novella sized contributions.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Someone didn't get the memo that these are short stories.....

Daneira likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, are there also stories about Cammie and Fixer in the book?

If yes, who are the authors?

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The definition of a short story is 1000 to 7500 words. I just wanted longer ones.

16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I suspect it will be length wise half way between an insider magazine length and what The Perfect Weapon was.

17. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Amazon UK has it as 320 pages, hardcover, no dimensions though.

18. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    That Amazon number is wrong. Whenever a book gets posted a dummy number for pages is used. Sometimes it ends up being accurate, sometimes it isn't. Looking at some proofs yesterday, it will definitely be longer than 320. Also the trim size of the book is slightly different from our normal hardcovers (if anyone is familiar with SECONDS by Bryan Lee O'Malley, our book will have the same trim size). Once we have a final page count I'll let people know.

The stories are all short, but actually many of them vary in length, and some are longer, etc. The only thing I can say is that in reading each story, the length feels right for every single one of them. None of them feel cheated, even the shorter ones.

If you're looking for longer tales CANTO BIGHT will help satisfy that desire. Novella length stories there.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Amazon numbers are always suspect.

20. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I’m so excited for this book, seeing all those names along the 40StoriesX40Years is so cool, it does feel like a tribute, imagine when we became to find out one by one the characters.

Also I’m happy to see that Claudia Gray is back, she’s my favorite, but also a few cool surprises: Greg Rucka? Ashley (Girl who does Ashoka’s voice) and Pablo Hidalgo.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I saw the recently locked breakdown and assessment of the author list by The Ganner and since he asked for an explanation for the author choices so here it is.

With originally 40 authors planned (43 final) we saw a chance to have a bunch of new voices join the galaxy. It's really important to bring in new voices, as evidenced by all the great work "new" writers have been doing across the board in novels, comics etc. Over the last 3 years.

If you think about how many books get published each year there really are limited chances to bring new writers into Star Wars. Even less if you listen to readers who demand yearly SW books by 2 or 3 specific writers.

Aside from some new voices we also knew we wanted to be more creative with the types of stories in this book. So we found people with different styles, writing sensibilities and ways to approach storytelling. I've said this a few times and I know it sounds a bit like punting on the explanation, but once you start to read the stories I think you'll understand more why we collected the contributor list that we have.

Happy to have serious conversation if there are more questions.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a response that locked thread really didn't deserve but it reflects well on you.

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I feel like I walked in on the middle of a conversation :)

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I got to meet Nnedi Okorafor this weekend, and asked her about the dianoga story. She said it was her idea - Del Rey kept trying to pitch her human characters to write stories about, but she wanted to do the dianoga both because it had never had anything written about it before, but also because she loves octopi in the real world. She also mentioned that she wanted to do a story about the space slug from ESB, so maybe in three years for its 40th anniversary (or if there's any space slug "homage" in TLJ she can write about).

Interestingly she later mentioned in an unrelated topic that she's written so few space stories (only Binti, I think?) because space makes her afraid, and seems paradoxically claustrophobic to her. So writing a story set in a garbage compactor seems like it will play to those fears of hers well.

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Good morning!
    Over the weekend, we posted a little bit more information about FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW, including a few more story and character reveals from the book. Some of these you may have heard, but there are a few more tidbits in there.
    • Gary Whitta bridges the gap from Rogue One to A New Hope through the eyes of Captain Antilles.
    • Aunt Beru finds her voice in an intimate character study by Meg Cabot.
    • Nnedi Okorofor brings dignity and depth to a most unlikely character: the monster in the trash compactor.
    • Pablo Hidalgo provides a chilling glimpse inside the mind of Grand Moff Tarkin.
    • Pierce Brown chronicles Biggs Darklighter’s final flight during the Rebellion’s harrowing attack on the Death Star.
    • Wil Wheaton spins a poignant tale of the rebels left behind on Yavin.

So what are the rest of the stories about? You'll have to wait until closer to October to find out - but we have more reveals and announcements planned.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...n-miller-nnedi-okorafor-sabaa-tahir-and-more/