main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From a Certain Point of View - Obi-Wan Discussion Thread - Evil Obi Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    We were discussing shoe sizes over on the Qui-Gon thread and someone brought up whether Obi-Wan would have ever tried on Qui-Gon's boots. Plot bunnies arose from that. Hence shoe sizes...

And Valairy_Scot, I'm quite honored to be mentioned. Thank you. [face_love]

2. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Nienna happens to be one of my favourite author's on the boards. Everything she writes is wonderful and this piece is no exception.

[face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

(and I tricked her into becoming my beta...hahaha)

I don't recall any trickery there...unless, of course, it was one of your stealthy Jedi mind tricks... :p

Stories! Stories! and more stories! Featuring Obi no less. :D If only I had the time to read them all. :( Stupid, stupid school...

EDIT: For some reason, I imagine Obi-Wan having smaller feet...

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Stella came and got her personal research guru.

according to this site, Ewan donated size 9 1/2 boots to a celebrity auction.

i'll assume it's safe to say they're his. :D

4. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    This is funny because I just did a similar topic in the newbie guide without even reading your topic! I even used 5! Hehe.

Some of these are from the classic boards, but they?re still some of my favorite Obi-Wan stories! :D

Title: Snow Bears
    Author: Jodiwent
    Summary: Obi-Wan is a child, and these are funny events from his childhood.
    Obi's role in the fic: It?s all about him.
    What/Why do you like it: It?s got great bits of humor in it. Very cute.
    Miscellaneous Gushing: I love all of Jodiwent?s stuff! :D

Title: Teen Obi-Wan's Misadventures In The Military
    Summary: Obi-Wan goes into the military. :)
    Obi's role in the fic: He goes into the military? oh, well, it?s all about him again. ;)
    What/Why do you like it: I love Jodi?s stuff. [face_love] It?s a different look at Obi-Wan, and he meets a bunch of important people in the military. (Like Bail Organa and so on? ;))
    Miscellaneous Gushing: Obi-Wan is called Benobi by a military commander. ;)

Title: Luminous Beings
    Summary: Is it bad that I read this so long ago that I can?t remember the summary? I remember liking it. :)
    Obi's role in the fic: All about him again.
    What/Why do you like it: It?s by Jodi and about Obi-Wan. ;)
    What/Why don?t you like it: Just a warning, the first part of the story has torture in it. :( But the rest doesn?t.
    Miscellaneous Gushing: I [face_love] Jodi!

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I was just sizing up little Obi-Wan in Qui-Gon's clothes and the boots are a particular case.

According to Noelie, Liam Neeson revealed that he wears size 12 shoes on The View. I assume that this is a US size. According to my calculations and consultation with the International Shoe Sizing Chart Qui-Gon's feet would only be 1-1.5 cm longer than Obi-Wan's though they still could be a bit wider. Obi-Wan's feet aren't that much smaller than his Master's, though a centimeter is huge as far as shoe fitting goes.

6. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hmmm...I'm still a little puzzled at myself but I made this little wallpaper and I thought to share...[face_blush]

[image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/Alley_411/Kenobi.jpg]

7. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    I knew J_L would find something! :D

I was just sizing up little Obi-Wan in Qui-Gon's clothes and the boots are a particular case.
    Awww. I have cutest mental picture of a little Obi floundering in qui's clothes now! [face_love] bless!

Lol Jaya...great minds you know! ;) Personally I think it's a very happy accident! It gives us loads of fics to read without searching for it ourselves- I'm having fun with the old ones that I'd missed before! :D

Alley: That's a lovely wallpaper! [face_love] Thanks so much for sharing!

8. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Enjoying the Before pimping everyone? Good, good. :D It's been great seeing all younger Obis that we have scattered around in Before the Saga but now...

Preeeesenting: Promoting Obi fics in the Saga!
    Bring out all your favourite Saga Obis- Knights, Masters, Ghosties...all are most welcome! :D

9. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    well I've got an Obi fic...it's actually more Obi/Ani centric then just plain Obi-centric but it's an even split between Obi and Ani...I hope that's ok...

Title: Sorry (AKA Dare You To Care)
    Author: Alley_Skywalker
    Summary: Ani's and Obi's relationship get's off to a bumpy start laving Anakin feeling unwanted and a burden to his new master. As a resolt Obi-Wan wakes up one morning to find his padawan missing...
    Obi's role in the fic: A young master who, though well intentioned, can mess up once in a while but is willing to fix it.
    What/Why do you like it: Well it's my fic (duh) but it's one of those rather rare Obi/Little!Ani fics.

EDIT:

Title: The The Royal Cutting of a Padawan?s Braid
    Author: anakin_luver
    Summary: Anakin's knighting
    Obi's role in the fic: A master who is about to let his padawan go out into the big glaxy all by himself
    What/Why do you like it: I love the obi/Ani banter in this one. It's just so pin point right...lol. Also the Obi/Ani relationship is very well presented here.

10. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
  11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
  12. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, here is mine.

Never a Master It is an Obi-Wan and Anakin-centric AU fic that starts with Obi-Wan, instead of Anakin, having the visions of Padme dying... and it spins out of control from there.

And then I must promote two more.

Everybody knows about Betrayal by dianethx... I love the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon interaction in this. Love it love it.

And, for something unique and different, there is When the Hunter Becomes the Hunted by Jennifer_Lyn... Obi-Wan and Asajj post-RotS... need I say more?

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Here I was thinking that I hardly ever go into Saga and couldrn't recommend anything but there is:

Preparing for a Padawa by Jennifer_Lyn

It's Anakin with Obi-Wan, but half of it is flash-backs with Qui-Gon choosing a very young Obi-Wan as his padawan. Obi-Wan bouncing on the bed is just the cutest little thing.

And if you're going for cute Obi-Wan, I guess I can't pass up mentioning:

Gah! by Princess_Arulmozhi

Even though it is Before the Saga, little Obi-Wan attaching himself to Qui-Gon is adorable. And since I've mentioned Before the Saga--and don't forget the shameless plug--I just posted a one-shot story there (the thread actually has two one-shot stories in it now, but it's the same OC with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon) that is Obi-Wan POV.

Odd Assembly by ardavenport

The first viggie is very sad, the second one, not. It is Before the Saga, but...I'm shameless.[face_mischief]

14. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    Any Beyond Obi stories to share? Then now's the time to do it!

Please carry on selling your own (and others) Obi stories (all eras since the thread hasn't been that busy!) till the end of the week! Then we will have a new topic/challenge for you! :D

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, since you said we can keep promoting various eras..

even though it's off a rough start, I am inordinately proud of my newest in Before, though perhaps it should be Saga - it's AU to start and ends the same as TPM, back to canon.

Tears of The Force - it's getting to the really good chapters now, IMHO. First chapter was a bit...blah, I'll admit.

Basically, Obi-Wan had a memory wipe and has been gone for 5 years (think JA #3 for inspiration, but different timelines) and Qui-Gon just finds him when the Naboo are forced to land on Tatooine for repairs. There's going to be lots of Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan "mush" in a couple of chapters. Sniff, sniff.

Innocence Lost thought it was pretty good use of 2nd Person POV/3rd Person POV with little readership. It's about Obi-Wan learning to face himself after "killing" someone, a "trial" so to speak.

And of course, who can forget the "punishment" and double entendres of

Two Shifts Only at the Ladies Only Bar in Mos Eisely - darn, I don't know why this one won't "link" properly.

There are others in Before & Saga near the front, too, that I shall leave unmentioned so as not to shamelessly self-promote.
    Val

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Sorry I'm so late but I've had real life issues.

Here's 5 of my favorite Before the Saga Obi stories. But I think there are so many great ones out there that it was very hard to choose. And I didn't even include mine. :p

Title: Forsaken and Begotten
    Author: Arldetta
    Summary: Obi-Wan is sent to Bandomeer when he is not picked by a Master. On the way there, the ship is attacked by Pirates. It's 5 years later and Qui-Gon stumbles across him.
    Obi's role in the fic: He's joined the pirates but trying to turn them away from that life. He's captured by the Jedi and forced to return to Coruscant to stand trial.
    What/Why do you like it: Much angst. Great plot. Tears my heart every time I read it. :_|

Title: The Unchosen
    Author: maychorian
    Summary: Qui-Gon never goes to the Jedi. Many years later, Obi-Wan crosses his path.
    Obi's role in the fic: He's rejected by the Jedi and is sent off to Bandomeer. He and Qui-Gon and Qui's wife become a family.
    What/Why do you like it: Are you kidding? Great plot, lovely style, terrific characterizations.

Title: The Learner
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn is dead by his own hand. Obi-Wan has been told to report to the Agricorps on Bandomeer but a dead Jedi's ghost tells him otherwise.
    Obi's role in the fic: Will Obi-Wan disobey the mandate of the Jedi and go to Tatooine as Jinn's spirit has suggested? Will he do the will of the Force?
    What/Why do you like it: Love the premise, the way she writes, the sheer beauty of the characterizations, the readability and scope of it all. Just glorious.[face_love]

Title: Epistles to a Master
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Summary: Xanatos is helping Qui-Gon by taking Obi-Wan off his hands for a little while. The adventures are told through emails
    Obi's role in the fic: To be quite adorable as a 6 year old. His writing skills leave much to be desired.
    What/Why do you like it: This was just so adorable that there are no words.

Title: Fault
    Author: LuvEwan
    Summary: After a long, tormenting mission, Qui-Gon and his apprentice attempt to heal. But the past could prevent either of them from moving on.
    Obi's role in the fic: Obi-Wan is victim to someone's brutal attack but we don't know who did it at this point.
    What/Why do you like it: Wonderful lyrical style, evocative language, great plot, great characters, still trying to figure out who did it and why. Love her stuff.

And here's the Saga ones....

Title: Wires
    Author: River_Stone
    Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi escapes from the torture of Asajj Ventress and tries to reconcile with his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker.
    Obi's role in the fic: He's only now just recovering but is unable to talk. Plus the darkside has tainted him but he knows that he needs to reach his Padawan. Somehow.
    What/Why do you like it: Glorious language, great plot, terrific characterization. I just loved the whole thing.

Title: The Price of Courage
    Author: obi_ew
    Summary: Whie escapes the Temple purge and goes with Obi-Wan to Tatooine.
    Obi's role in the fic: Obi is the older wiser mentor and helps Whie to become a Jedi knight.
    What/Why do you like it: Terrific plot, great characterizations and intriguing viewpoints. Great story

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=16285940&brd=10476&

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been awhile since I've picked this up, but hopefully with a free weekend coming up, I can update this again.

Tangible Dreams: Let's just say Obi doesn't exactly realize what a mess he's made. ;) Expect some angst in coming parts.:)

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I have quite a few favourites - and they're all sort of scattered. Hope that's okay.

Title: Bennie
    Author: dianethx
    Summary: Obi-Wan's caught in the hands of a bully
    Obi's role in the fic: Scared, yet a staunch and loyal preserver of his friends. he's already got the makings of the Jedi he would be.
    What/Why do you like it: Diane's stories are alwaysa treat to read - and this one had such an original pr emise. Instead of assuming that Ben must have been the name he receved later, she put forth the theory that was the first. Beautiful, poetic prose, and excellent imagery.

Title: Enemies Among Us
    Author: Master_Noi
    Summary: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are pulled off a break and sent on a mission- which seems to be innocent, but really isn't.
    Obi's role in the fic: Ever the loyal padawan - brave, resourceful, and with his characteristice wry humour
    What/Why do you like it: The author's style. It's understated, excellently detailed, and is peppered with spicy action. At no place does the narration flag.

Title: Coming Home
    Author: LuvEwan
    Summary: Knight Obi-Wan kenobi comes home from a long, traumatic mission - but his recovery is a long, arduous process. Qui-Gon slowly nurses him back to health.
    Obi's role in the fic: It's an AU - and Obi-Wan understands that even if he is now a knight, he will always, be Qui-Gon's son, in his heart of hearts.
    What/Why do you like it: Wonderful, wonderful angst and mush. The passages describing how Qui-Gon takes care of a vulnerable Obi-Wan, who cannot even take any nourishment are heart-warming. Makes your heart melt.

19. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks to all those who promoted their own and other ppls fics! I hope everyone goes and checks them out!

New Discussion!

Obi's early days as Anakin's Master. How would he have begun Anakin's training? How would he have dealt with going from Padawan to Knight and having a Padawan himself overnight?

He had to deal with his promotion, train Anakin and grieve for Qui-Gon all at the same time...He certainly didn't have it easy!

Please share any ideas and thoughts you have!

With thanks to Kelia.

20. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Um, [face_blush] - I can't find my file in which I keep all the Obi ideas/suggestions you lovely ppl send me. I think it may have accidently got deleated...:oops: ...If you have sent an idea and it hasn't been used yet please could you resend it?!

Thank you and sorry!

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Obi's early days...lots of aspirin. :p

I'd imagine it's like having a baby - only you didn't read What to Expect When You're Expecting. So you have absolutely no idea what to expect, because this kid is like no other little Jedi kid you've encountered. He swears! He cries! He sneaks out of the Temple to race! :p For the first couple of years, I bet his face was frozen in a look of "I have no idea what I'm doing." [face_laugh]

22. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I agree Obi-Wan probably took ALOT of aspirin. Or at least he downed alot of jawa juice :)

I've read Rogue Planet and the Jedi Quest series. That's the closest EU I've ever gotten. They never show Anakin younger than age 12 in these books either, so we don't know exactly what the first days or even months were like.

From what I've read, Anakin did sneak out alot and take part in illegal races. Some semblance from his past life.

There's even an instance in which he dresses a droid up in Jedi robes and has Obi-Wan having a conversation with it. Obi-Wan was embarrassed to say that least after that. :) [face_shhh]

23. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    There's even an instance in which he dresses a droid up in Jedi robes and has Obi-Wan having a conversation with it. Obi-Wan was embarrassed to say that least after that.

[face_laugh]

Oh my goodness, what book was that? I'd love to read it!

24. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    It's from Rogue Planet :)

25. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Hmmm....his first days as Anakin's master. Well, I agree with the need for tons of aspirin, or its equivalent. :)

As they would still be getting to know each other, I could foresee certain clashes starting, even before they knew each other well. Also, Obi's working through his grief over Qui-Gon, and Anakin's supposedly working through grief in being separated from his mother (which I doubt entirely took place--it would have helped if she'd been free), and Obi's dealing with a Knightship and Mastership at the same time.

Gotta go, or else I'd say more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.