main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From a Certain Point of View - Obi-Wan Discussion Thread - Evil Obi Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    the interesting thing to me is that i was under the impression that he viewed anakin as a nuisance when he first met him. he promised qui-gon to train him though, so obviously he kept his word.
    i agree that it had to be very difficult for him. especially while dealing with qui-gon's death. but perhaps in some ways training anakin helped him deal with it, because it was what qui-gon wished of him.

2. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    I actually don't think it's Anakin himself Obi found to be a nuisance, rather the principle of Qui-Gon adopting a stray while on a mission (i gather from the tone he said pathetic lifeforms -and certain fanfic have certainly helped this along- that this is a fairly regular occurance) that rankled the padawan of protocol.

In which case I rather think that if the whole council room fiasco scene and the goodbye that wasn't hadn't happened then obi and ani would have grown to become friends quite quickly as I think that once the mission is over obi would be able to relate to ani on human level more, if that makes sense!

As it is though, because of the 'replacement' thing and the famous last words, it must have been much more harder for him to separate ani the little boy and the boy who qui gon thought of most in his last days.

I'm curious, who do you reckon felt more attached to the other first? Ani would probably have made the first friendly overtures, but is it fair to say that as the relationship progresssed, obi's depth of feeling for his padawan was never returned equally? What says the ani lovers- is that an unfair reflection on Anakin's feelings and glorifying obi a bit too much?

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Um, I think Obi's "Pathetic life forms" comments are a bit of an exaggeration, and kind of a joke between Qui and Obi.

I think Obi tried desperately hard, despite his grief, to be accepting of Anakin, but I think Anakin was resentful because Qui was going to train him and he thought he was better than Obi-Wan - because "Qui chose Anakin over Obi-Wan."

I'm working on this idea in a couple of fics I'm working on.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    who do you reckon felt more attached to the other first?

Hmmm...good question. I think Anakin was more open to forming a bond. Obi-Wan had to have been feeling some resentment towards Anakin because Qui decided to train him before Obi was knighted. It's kinda like Qui-Gon found a new padawan and was pushed Obi-Wan aside. That coupled with Qui's reluctance to take Obi as his apprentice in the first place....

I think if Qui-Gon hadn't made Obi promise to train Anakin, he wouldn't have.

Uh oh, did I just say something negative about Obi-Wan in his own thread?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

**runs for cover**

5. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003

I hope you don't mind my jumping in here, but I think about Ani and Obi's relationship a lot and these are good questions, so I wanted to throw in my...uh, half a credit. :p

I agree that in the beginning, Anakin would have been more attached to Obi. But I think they did end up caring about each other an equal amount, just in different ways.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I totally agree with you there. And I would understand it if Obi-Wan didn't either. I know I would be miffed if my Master instantly tried to take on another Padawan, when he was so reluctant to take on me.

Star Wars = Irony

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Just jumping in here before I start in on my homework...

I agree with amidalachick that Anakin and Obi-Wan needed each other and cared for each other equally but showed that affection in different ways, which is what I think contributed to their strained relationship in AotC. Two conflicting "love languages" so to speak.

Great topic, by the way! :) I wish I had the time to read all of the other replies and think this through more thoroughly, but alas! Darth School. :rolleyes:

8. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm curious, who do you reckon felt more attached to the other first? Ani would probably have made the first friendly overtures, but is it fair to say that as the relationship progresssed, obi's depth of feeling for his padawan was never returned equally? What says the ani lovers- is that an unfair reflection on Anakin's feelings and glorifying obi a bit too much?

Alright here's the POV of an Ani-lover and an avid Obi/Ani 'ship fan.

I think at the beginning Obi-Wan was rather--- harsh even with Anakin/ Maybe not always fare. I can't blame him entirely for he was still dealing with Qui's death and then he never really liked Anakin, disliked him actually, anyways.

I'm thinking that Anakin was much more eager to form a bond. I also think he formed an attachment to Obi-Wan and really came to care for his master before the vice versa occurred.

In the end I still believe Anakin cared more. Maybe for the simply reason that he never suppressed or dispelled his affection unlike Obi-Wan. I'm not saying Obi-Wan never came to care about Anakin I'm very much sure he did (in any case how could he not I mean Anakin is just so loveable ;)) But I think Anakin was really the one more attached in this relationship. And that he point blank and simple cared more.

I also agree that had Qui not made Obi-Wan promise to train Anakin Obi-Wan wouldn't have done so and wouldn't have really cared as to the boys fate. Understandable as it is it's something that bothers me.

I suppose for a long time Anakin was nothing more then a promise to Qui-Gon. Anain seems to be very perceptive naturally and I bet he could tell that something was off at the least...that say Obi-Wan didn't want him. I think this is the reason why the foundation of their relationship was so shaky. This was inevitably cause problems in the future.

*ducks for cover*

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I feel that a lot of it also has to do with Obi-Wan's confidence in his own abilities as a master. He went from student to teacher in the shortest of moments. Then throw in a tragic loss. Then throw in the return of the Sith (yegods!). I think he was completely befuddled as to how to handle Anakin. Plus, he always struck me as the type to take his time forging relationships (such as trusting Jar Jar, which I completely understand :p ). Anakin, on the other hand, gets attached very quickly - much like Qui-Gon. So in a way, his relationship with Anakin could've been a lot like his relationship with Qui-Gon early on. [face_thinking] Kind of that "You are a complete mystery to me" idea.

10. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I agree. It's sad, but they were polar opposites. Sure they became close later (mostly because they had to, due to a forced relationship), but when the time would have come for Obi-Wan to choose a padawan of his own, Anakin probably would have been off the list.

Anyway, I'm still glad that they were Master and Apprentice, even though it ended tragically :_|

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I agree that they were polar opposites and that Obi-Wan would not have chosen Anakin as his apprentice had he had a choice. Qui-Gon chose Obi-Wan, though, and they were opposites as well - balanced each other out.

I think it would have been very difficult for Obi-Wan in the early days. He probably thought he'd have a padawan at some time in his life but it wasn't something that he would do right away. Getting his feet wet being a solitary knight was likely something he was looking forward to. I wonder if deep down, he might resent Anakin in the early days.

There were all sorts of things that he had to deal with: training a kid, training the Chosen one, being in the spotlight for killing the Sith, plus dealing with Qui-Gon's death. The poor guy needs a hug.

But I'm sure he would do what he must. Duty and honor would have made him accept the kid and be careful with his training. But there were probably times, a lot of times, when he felt completely inadequate to the task.

As for attachment, I'm sure that it came slower for Obi-Wan than Anakin. Ani had essentially lost his mother and his surrogate father in one fell swoop. He was in a new place with people expecting all sorts of things that he didn't understand and no one to ask other than Obi-Wan. He probably was at Obi-Wan's side a lot more than most padawans for a while until he got used to the situation. Poor kid. Must have been terribly confusing to him.

12. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I'd give Obi-Wan a hug! [face_love]

You know, I really enjoy their relationship in ROTS, until the end, of course. The banter, the familiarity--the only time we see that in AOTC is in the lift near the beginning. They both seem on edge all the time with each other, and I think it's because they're both so guarded about themselves. I think Obi-Wan really was hurting after Qui-Gon's death, and he didn't want to form any more attachments (because he was clearly attached to Qui-Gon), but look, now you have a Padawan because you promised, and you don't want this kid to love you like you loved your master, because what if a Sith came and killed you--you don't want to cause the pain you feel now. Maybe that's why Obi-Wan has such a hard time getting to know Anakin in the first place.

Like I said, I'd give him a hug.

13. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree that Qui getting killed by a Sith did repell Obi-Wan to the idea of forming that kind of attachment but I don't htink it was Ani that he was thinking off--rather himself. I mean what happins if he getts attached to Anakin and really comes to care for him and then another Sith comes along and kills him [Anakin] too? Then he [Obi-Wan] would have to go through the whole painful greif prosses again. I don't think he'd want that.

14. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003

Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps it was both reasons? For himself and for Anakin? Because I don't think Obi-Wan was the type of man who wanted grief nor wanted to cause grief.

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lately I've been wandering the boards. This is going on in the prequil board. Is Obi-Wan a liar?

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I think that, while Obi-wan would have had adjustment pains, since Anakin was an imposition first and a friend later, there would also be a difficulty because he would be wary of the reasons why Anakin was initially rejected.

17. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    He is. But that doesn't necesseraly mean that he doesn't have a good reason for doing so.

18. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Obi-Wan and the Seven Dwarfs

We know Anakin is always saying Obi is grumpy (or will be grumpy).
    Write a story where Obi is grumpy or any of the other (or all) Seven Dwarfs in Snow White.

Grumpy, Sleepy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Happy & Doc.

[image=http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/hlmilk/dwarf/grumpy.gif]

Thank you to Jodiwent for the challenge idea!

Please remember if your idea for a challenge or discussion topic hasn?t been used yet then you need to pm the sock, me (Kestrel) or Stella as some have accidentally been deleted (many apologies [face_blush] !)

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love seeing everyone's choices for best Obi-Wan stories. I honestly don't think I could choose 5 out of the wonderful ones I've read.

This next challenge... should be great! :D :D

20. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    :D I can see it now - Sneezy Obi! What a wonderful challenge idea, Jodiwent!

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Sneezy Obi-Wan! How come I thought of that too? :) Let's see what my brain can work on while I'm working on a term paper and an honors essay. :)

22. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    LOL Maybe it's because we all love obi mush, or maybe it's cos I'm in the grips of Darth Sniffles but that's the one I thought of too! :D I look forward to anything you're inclined to drop our way Laine, as always! :)

Oh and I know a few people were asking if they can have all seven personalities so I'd just like to reassure you all that where Obi is concerned....the more the merrier! :D

23. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Sleepy Obi sounds good...and quite adorable too.

Dopey Obi? [face_laugh] I'd love to see someone do that one.

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    For some reason I keep picturing Obi-Wan as Doc and Anakin as Dopey. [face_laugh]

Though I have to admit that a Bashful Obi-Wan would be so adorable. [face_love]

Edit: Oh no, I've been attacked by a Bashful Obi plot bunny....

25. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Dopey Obi! Is it even possible? :p

Aww! Bashful Obi! [face_love] I need to remember to check out the challenge thread and read what you guys come up with. As for me, I'm caught up in the last nightmarish weeks of school. *sigh*

Mmmm...dinner... =P~ [/random thought]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.