main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From a Certain Point of View - Obi-Wan Discussion Thread - Evil Obi Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005

i'm not familiar at all with the Watson books.. (and i've heard many varied opinions on their quality, as evidenced by the last page of discussion here!) but i am quite intrigued with the talk of Siri that's been going on.

personally i think it's only human that even with the jedi's thoughts on the matter that there probably at one time was a girl that obi would be willing to forsake the ways of the jedi for. it's how obi dealt with it that makes him the great jedi we all know him to be.
    i think the movies allow for a narrow and limited view of what jedi were like. and that's fine, the movies focus were much broader then that and they needed to be.
    most of what i think about jedi comes from the expanded universe novels and fanfic. and in those realms i don't see someone like Siri's existence being out of character for obi at all.
    and while i agree that saying that obi doesn't like sand either is kinda lame, thinking about it, who LIKES sand, especially when the sand is part of tatooine's dune sea?:p

2. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    GO the differing perspective!:D As I said, mine is that Obi-Wan almost freaking out on the Tuskens like Skywalker is a bunch of crap. Once Watson moved on from trying to turn Obi-Wan into Anakin, I do agree that how she had him deal with the Tuskens was clever:) My perspective is also based on the fact that I resent that Watson consistently tries to turn Obi-Wan into nothing more than an extension of Jinn or Skywalker.

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I read Watson's books simply because those are the only crumbs Lucas is allowing us to have as far as Obi-Wan's past. I 100% don't care for her writing technique however. She has created some of the best OC's and yet it has taken fanfic writers to give them any pulse of life. And the way she writes Obi-Wan is criminal most of the time. I have to agree with honour on that part. From JA to Jedi Quest she has Obi-Wan so crippled by both Qui-Gon and Anakin, to me her version in no way reflects what we see and know from the films.

Stover had Obi-Wan thinking about Jinn also but not to the point that his old mentor guided his every thought and move. :(

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
  5. Just-Plain-Shmi

Just-Plain-Shmi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    I agree, I read the Watson books because that's the only place we can get some of this information. Sigh... I would love to see adult novelizations written about Obi-Wan's years on Tatooine, or his years as a Padawan. I want depth! I need it! [face_praying] But instead, I have to read the watered down version. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to have anything at all, but I can't help wishing that Matthew Stover or someone like that would sink their teeth into that part of his life for me.

JPS :)

Oh, and hello everyone. [face_mischief]

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Welcome, Just-Plain-Shmi! :D Make yourself at home.

I agree. I would really like some more mature, in-depth books on Obi-Wan too. He's such a complex, interesting character, I don't see why they're not rolling out the novels... Of course, I may be slightly biased. [face_mischief]

Thank you for the link, Dianethx. The more Obi, the merrier! :)

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Hello all!

I'm hoping to be back on a more regular basis now, until DRL strikes another blow anyway.

If anyone has an idea for a discussion topic/challenge then please drop me a pm.

and welcome to all the new ppl! :D

8. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Oh I agree. Obi-Wan is a complex character that needs to be explored on a more adult level. Everyone always thought he was so easy to understand, just Mr. noble Jedi until the end. He's actually almost as complex as Anakin if not a little more so in some respects. We also see him change or grow more and more in each movie, especially during the time of the prequels. I haven't read JA because I read JQ first, and well I know Watson didn't get too involved there, so I didn't want to ruin young Obi by reading those too.

She did not do Obi-Wan any favors in the JQ series. She made him seem unfeeling and aloof most of the time where Anakin was concerned and I know that's not the case. It couldn't be. How would they have gotten to where they were in the later movies if they were always filled with an angst relationship. [face_frustrated]

Tis a shame really. Obi-Wan is definetly on my top favorite list!! :)

9. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    I went back and re-read the section about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in Legacy of the Jedi. I will admit that I did not mind it as much as most of Watson's stuff. Then the next section on Obi-Wan and Anakin starts with the line: Twenty-three Years Later ... Uh, what? More like 13 years later. I'm nit-picking, I know:p [EDIT: Yeah, most of the section on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan is based on when Obi-Wan is 14 or 15, but it ends with them on the way to negotiate with the Trade Federation re the blockade of Naboo - when Obi is 25.)

10. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Yes it's time for another challenge!

Dress Up Obi!

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/NIN_Mystic_Drug3/Velvet_Goldmine.jpg]

Obi's venture into the wide world of fashion...write a fic in which Obi-Wan has to wear anything but those brown robes! An undercover mission? A special celebration? Put him in a kilt, formalwear, local costume, swim suit, etc?let the plot bunnies go crazy!

11. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Did someone say kilt? [face_batting] [face_whistling]

It's great to have you back, Kes! [:D] I hope things soon start to settle back into a somewhat normal rhythm for you and your family, at least as normal as possible.

12. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Thanks Nienna! [:D]

Yahoo! 800th post!

ahem...anyway, I've found the Watson discussion v.interesting...but I haven't read the books mentioned and have only read the first 3 JA books so haven't had much to add. Though you have me curious now!

I'm hoping lots of you will take part in the new challenge! [face_praying]

13. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Well who can resist putting Obi-Wan in a kilt or a tuxedo or a speedo or a pirate's costume or...wait I'm getting way ahead of myself here. :p

Great idea for a challenge...My muse feels very up to this :D

And welcome back Kes! I hope you're participating in the challenge? [face_praying]

14. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    *GASP* Ooh...what a totally intriguing challenge. I want to participate, I just need to wrangle a bunny first. :D

15. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Did someone say Obi in a kilt?? :D

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/ewan047.jpg]

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/EwanKilt.jpg]

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/canneskilt01.jpg]

16. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    =P~ =P~ Wow....simply gorgeous.[face_love]

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Awesome. Awesome challenge idea. Awesome pictures of Ewan in a kilt. [face_love] [face_love] I'll see if anything cooks itself up.

18. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Leave it to my padawan to pull out the kilt pictures... :p

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Uh...uh...uh...=P~ My favorite was the black kilt. God, that man is gorgeous... [face_love]

20. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Would you expect anything less from me, Master?:p ;)

(And now you all think I've got a HUGE folder of pics of Ewan in a kilt... not true... honest! :D )

21. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    =P~

lovely pics magenta - we need to try and keep it down to one image per page however (for those on dial-up)...just a lil reminder! :)

Though they've certainly inspired me ! ;)

Kelia - I'm hoping to take part in the challenge - let's see if my muse is going to co-operate!

22. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i was watching episode 3 AGAIN and i got to thinking...

how would obi would have taken the news of anakin/padme's marriage plus the baby if the circumstances were different?

if there wasn't a war, and anakin turning, let's say? would he keep the knowledge of their marriage from the council? what would he do about the baby, which is more difficult to hide?
    anakin probably would kicked out of the jedi order..

how would obi take that? would he try to hide the knowledge of the baby too? (if anakin and padme would try to attempt to do that)

however obi handles it, he's in a bad situation...

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Evil grin: does it HAVE to be clothing? (keeping it G-rated, of course)

24. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    I've finally wrangled a plot bunny into submission....poor Obi-Wan! [face_laugh] [face_devil]

25. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    (And now you all think I've got a HUGE folder of pics of Ewan in a kilt... not true... honest!)

Yeah, sure you don't... :p

obi_webb - Hmm...Well, I would like to think that Obi-Wan would side with Anakin and Padme out of love, but he is also very much loyal to the Jedi Order and its principles. I'll have to think about that... [face_thinking]

LilyHobbitJedi - Yay! I look forward to reading it in the Challenge thread. :D (Now that I actually have time to read, I've bookmarked the thread for easier access. I have to make sure my path to great Obi stories is as streamlined as possible.) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.