main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fascinating questions Diane and Jaya.

If Anakin hadn't shown up, do you think Qui-Gon would have taken on another padawan once Obi-Wan was knighted?

I think he would have. I cannot see him ever accepting a place on the Council. No matter how much he'd like to see some things change there, I think watching the progression of Jedi matters become more and more a Republic political decision would have irritated him to no end. By training another apprentice, he would be able to perhaps pass on his supposedly 'rogue' thinking. The younglings are the future of the Order.

Do you think he'd be urging Obi-Wan to take one as well?

Not immediately. No doubt there needs to be a settling period when a newly knighted Jedi needs to be out on his own for a period of time. Though if Qui-Gon would chance upon an initiate he thought suited Obi-Wan, he'd arrange a meeting between them.

was Obi-Wan really ready to be knighted? Or did Qui-Gon just really see the potential in Anakin?

I can't see any Jedi saying it if it wasn't true. Mostly because that could endanger the new knight or countless people they came in contact with on missions and such. Also, I would imagine a lie such as that pretty hard to hide from your fellow Jedi.

I think Qui-Gon meant what he said, why else would his dying wish be for him to train someone he thought very important to the future?

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmmm, I like that perspective, that even though he was ready to be a Knight (he looked eager to be a Knight in TPM), perhaps Obi-Wan himself wasn't ready to not be a padawan anymore; that's a nice way of putting it. Or was Qui-Gon not ready, for Obi-Wan to not be his padawan?

And I agree that Qui-Gon couldn't have been lying when he said that Obi-Wan was ready since another Jedi would spot the untruth right away.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I think that it's a bit of both. Obi-Wan was probably eager to get out on his own but still have the luxury of being able to talk to Qui-Gon about his missions and share stories with him. I'm sure that Qui-Gon would have missed Obi-Wan's presence and looked forward to hearing of his missions.

Unfortunately, that was not to be.

I was thinking today about something Yoda said to Luke once about the Force being able to show him things. "through the Force things you will see, other places. The future...the past...old friends long gone" I wonder if he was talking about Qui-Gon. After all, Obi-Wan was still around in ghostly blue but we don't see or hear from Qui-Gon by then.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Luke probably would have seen Qui-Gon, I think, but perhaps he just didn't know who he was? After all, Lucas didn't know who he was either at that point :p

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    No, I was thinking more like Yoda was missing Qui-Gon. He sounded rather sad about it.

6. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    That's an interesting idea. Wonder how much of a relationship Qui-Gon had with Yoda or with Obi-Wan for that matter?

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooh, I've thought about that one. For some reason, I think Yoda was thinking of Mace when he said that. Or perhaps the other Jedi Council members, too. I suppose that's because you see Yoda feel them all die in ROTS.

I just don't get the impression that Yoda and Qui-Gon were that close personally, or that Yoda was any closer to Qui-Gon than he was to any other senior Jedi Master. I'm sure they respect each other, and could work together on a mission with a minimum of friction, but that's it.

About why Luke doesn't see Qui-Gon....yeah, that's because Qui-Gon didn't exist in the story until Lucas sat down to write Episode I.:) But in the story, Yoda says that Qui-Gon has found a path to immortality. If he just fades away by TESB, that's a pretty short immortality.

I don't think Luke is going to come across Qui-Gon until he tries re-connecting to Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin, when he's much older. I know they just fade away in the EU, but I think that's just because the writers didn't know what to do with them. Isn't Qui-Gon the first Jedi to ever keep going after death? At least, I think I remember some quote from Lucas about that. If that's the case, that would mean a permanent change for the New Jedi Order.

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    you know, i hadn't ever thought about the immortality thing that way!

when i do sit for a moment and think about it, it would seem that while they have the option of immortality, perhaps being at one with the Force is a more desirable place to be. i always figured they were manifesting for a purpose and once that was done, they were free to move on.

but what if they didn't? what if they just stepped back for a while, only to come back later when their guidance is needed. interesting thought.

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    That's sort of what I was thinking as well. Old Republic Jedi had holocrons for preserving their wisdom, but if they join the Force the way Qui-Gon did then there is virtually no way for a darksider to wipe them out. The New Jedi Order would be fundamentally different because of that. The EU never really got into that, IMO because they didn't know where it was supposed to go from the original trilogy.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (and Yoda) were connected to Anakin and then Luke, so their participation was driven by that connection and the confrontation with Sidius. After that, I don't think any Jedi (except maybe Luke) is going to connect to them unless they try, and I don't think that would be possible unless they were very well trained in the Force.

10. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    Well, interesting theories!! I think that I've been needing to visit here for awhile. lol

11. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Just wanted to announce the creation of the Qui-Gon Jinn Index, which is being run by ardavenport and myself. We are currently scouring the boards for all stories containing our beloved Jedi Master... which is a daunting task in and of itself. You could help us out a ton by visiting the index to find out how to go about pmming the links to your stories (if you would like them indexed). Thanks bunches!

You may go back to your regularly scheduled chitchat.

12. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    great job on the index you two! =D=

I liked the categories, especially since I have trouble classifying whether my fics are more qui or more obi so this really works for me! and it'll be easier to find what you're looking for too!

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lovely job on the index. I'll have to dig up my few fics to be added. [face_blush]

14. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Thank you muchly... but I won't take credit for ardavenport's work. It was all her--I am just the indexing slave. :D

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I think I might have missed this question but do you want only completed stories? When I get some time, I might go through the classic board and give you some stories, too.

16. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Nope--we'll take WIP's too. We're just going to put "WIP" in the status for now.

And if you'd go through the classic board too, I'd fall on my knees and kiss your feet.

Just so you know. [face_mischief]

17. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Great job on the index ardavenport and Luna! =D= I have put a link in the first post.

And congrats to all the Obi and/or Qui writers that won awards on saturday...well done! [:D]

Now to catch up after my weekend away...

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, Luna how about if I start from the oldest stories and work my way forward? I do have to go to Dragoncon as well but I'll have some time before then.

And feetkissing is a no-no. However, if you want to send a certain devilishly handsome, broken-nosed Jedi Master[face_love] , I wouldn't turn him down. [face_batting]

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    The index looks fantastic! Really love the arrangement of the stories and everything too. Quite excellent work you guys! =D==D==D=

20. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Sounds fantastic. A visit from you-know-who may be arranged...[face_batting] I'm going to be running through the Before boards over this week.

21. Lady_Padme_Organa

Aug 5, 2006
    I'm gonna go check it out!! I'm sure that it's great!!:)

22. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Scouring....weeeeeeelllll, for me at the moment, that looks more like not scouring, at least until after DragonCon. I have a closet full of costumes and not a thing to wear :D, so I'm catching up on some much needed sewing. If you're at DragonCon check out the Rebel Legion and the Jedi Assembly fan tables.

And yes! Send in your Qui-Gon fic specs for the index. Or the specs for fics for anything that has Qui-Gon as a major character. We'll take them all.

I had to separate the stories out somehow with the categories. There's quite a bit of Qui-Gon out there. It's still not a sure thing that there is enough room. The worst that can happen is that the index has to be reorganized, but we're a long way off from that.

23. Lady_Padme_Organa

Aug 5, 2006
    I've looked at the new thread, and I love it!! Great job!!=D=

24. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Question,
    Does anyone know where the story of Obi-Wan being captured during the clone wars and tortured by Asjji Ventress is from? Is it comics or Eu? Sound familar?
    I thought maybe one of the Obi-Wan lovers that dwell in this thread might have the answer.:D

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It's in the Clone Wars comic books. I think in volume 3 or 4. I have 5-7 and he's still held by Ventress in 5 but rescued in that book. Does that help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.