main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    ^ True... I'd say that that's a rather good example of 'Be careful what you wish for'.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    When did Obi-Wan say he planned to retire on a remote world to for a year or two after Anakin's training?

A quiet place may be what Obi-Wan would want after Anakin, but I doubt that he meant desolate. He really looked like he had settled down to some peace by the time you see him in ANH, but it must have taken him a few years to get there.

I suspect that Obi-Wan had a way to communicate with Yoda through the Force. Since Yoda said that he had 'watched' Luke, I think that they could have done that. Or used Qui-Gon as an intermediary.

3. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    He didn't actually say it, but it was mentioned in 'Rogue Planet' that he thought like that.

I think the idea of Qui-Gon as an intermediary is quite funny[face_laugh] I mean think of the Jedi Master running messages for Yoda and Obi-Wan!

4. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaah, I haven't read 'Rogue Planet'. I think that Qui-Gon would act as in intermediary for a time, but if Yoda could 'watch' Luke as he said in TESB I would guess that Yoda and Obi-Wan would figure out how to communicate directly. But I suppose Qui-Gon would still be listening in. :p

There's been some naked-Obi-Wan talk on the 'Girl Talk' thread which makes me wonder.....when do Qui-Gon and and Obi-Wan ever take their clothes off? What do they wear to bed? Something like what Anakin wears? Or less?

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This is a question I should have an answer for, anne, but I find myself rendered speechless by the images it provokes. :p

I would say it depends on the circumstances/mission/weather. Although I don't see Qui-Gon as being particularly modest, I think Obi-Wan would be. This is a question that must be explored further. As many people as possible need to write on this subject.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't worry, I'm working on it.[face_blush]

7. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
  8. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'd love to see a new challenge in this thread. I've gotten really interested in this pair and am looking for an excuse to write about them. I'm just bad at coming up with ideas on my own. :_|

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I suppose we could go with an unofficial 'Get Obi-Wan and/or Qui-Gon naked' challenge (while still staying within TOS), though I can't do much with it this month because of costume-making demands.

It could be tricky because if you look at Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in the movies they don't take their clothes off much. The Tatooine heat didn't get Qui-Gon to do any more than take his robe off. And he just replaced it with that poncho. So, I wouldn't bet on the weather being enough to get them to strip.

Anything marked with a '*' is something I've tried in a fic.

- *Removing clothes for going to bed. Based on Anakin's performance at least. We can only hope that this isn't just a habit he brought with him from Tatooine and Obi-Wan was never able to break him of the habit.

- Making their clothes unwearable. Getting them soaking them wet doesn't even get them to take off their robes, so one would have to go with other options, possibly:
    - - Clothing contamination with things that smell really bad
    - - Fire
    - - *Insect infestation
    - - Immersion in something really sticky
    - - Shredding
    - - Clothing contamination with things poisonous
    - - Using their clothes for other things than wearing
    - - Excessive mud and grime

- *Medical exam and/or treatment.

- *Native customs that require lots of bare skin for diplomatic reasons.

- Body hair shaving (yeah, Obi-Wan can shave Qui-Gon's back hair, eew).

- *Body painting.

- Trading their clothes with other people.

- Body search and scan. That could get seriously unpleasant depending on how thorough the search is.

10. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Eew, most of these suggestions are rather unpleasant (immersion in something really sticky???[face_sick] ).
    Interesting idea though.

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Yeah, you really have to give them a good reason for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to disrobe. Other things that might work:

- being caught in a huge thorny sticker patch
    - oil
    - mucus
    - puncture wound

When I look at the proposed list of things, I have to admit that most of them are pretty unpleasant. We fanficcers are so hard on our favorites. [face_devil] So, what would be some pleasant things that would get them to take their clothes off?

- big Roman-style, heated bath, sauna, etc.
    - sex (TOS only for here)
    - massage (with oil)
    - sunning (although neither Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon look particularly tanned or interested in improving that)

The thing limiting the 'good' reasons for getting naked is that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both enjoy being Jedi most. And being Jedi involves the look as well as the Force. The robe, the lightsaber, the outfit, the boots. Those are all parts of the Jedi identity.

Now if there were a reason to take off their clothes to use the Force, then we might see some more skin.

12. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Is it bad that I can think of a lot of reasons for them taking their clothes off? [face_blush]:p

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
  14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    And I did! ;)

15. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And it was fun Brodiew and got me this one after reading all of Ardavenport's suggestions.

Pink, purple and yellow

17. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    That one was good, too, earlybird-Obi-Wan!

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Good, Earlybird - but so far we have two naked Qui's and no naked Obi - does this task fall to me, then? <evil cackle>[face_blush]

19. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    It does, Valairy. So get crackin'!

I will be waiting here. [face_cowboy]

20. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Waiting???? Surely you can do more than wait? I've got a costume deadline at the end of the month slowing me down, but I think that some gratuitous nudity might fit into something I'm working on now.

Nice going brodiew and earlybird. So far we've stripped them down and found nasty rashes and purple underwear (hmmmmm, I would have though that Mace was more the purple underwear type).

21. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Do you think there could be any ancient Jedi rituals or meditations that would require nudity?

Not that I've been thinking about this, like, constantly or anything. ;)

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Purifying bath before the knighting ceremony? I actually used that in Tears of the Force II after doing some research on medieval knights.

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Jedi rituals........well, first, the movies strongly imply that Jedi are pretty minimal with ceremony. Yoda just tells Obi-Wan that he's going to be elevated to Jedi Knight and Qui-Gon's funeral was very low key. Maybe all the chanting and jumping up and down and special secret handshakes were off-screen. Or maybe not. There is even less Jedi ceremony in the other two PT movies, too. You do get a little, like the knighting ceremony in the first Clone Wars cartoon, but not much.

Jedi also travel around a lot doing good deeds and upholding peace and justice and all that. On top of that they're forbidden possessions. Sooooooooo, it's a safe bet that any Jedi rituals are very minimal and independent of place and special equipment or trinkets. Yeah, they have a Temple and there's Illum and all, but Luke didn't need those things.

The essential elements are the Jedi and the Force. And the lightsaber. That does seem to be the one special thing that Jedi use and keep with them. There is the outfit, the robe and so forth, but those are also optional going by what some Jedi wear.

Now, Anakin does kneel and swear allegiance to Palpatine in a particular way in ROTS. I doubt he knew how Sith did that sort of thing and was just doing something that he had already done as a Jedi.

Do Jedi padawans kneel and pledge to their masters? I would guess, yes. For particular rituals? Probably. What would they be?

- when the padawan first becomes the master's apprentice
    - when the master introduces a particularly special bit of Force mystery teaching, such as; sharing a particularly deep Jedi holocron; visions like what they see in the Force (as Yoda explained to Luke on Dagobah); precognizance; death; conceptionl; manipulating the Force; the Force in inanimate things; etc.
    - when the padawan has been disobedient or makes a huge mistake and must show that it won't happen again
    - when the padawan is periodically tested for skill
    - probably more.......

I have a lot trouble picturing these nude or requiring bathing. OTOH, you can't get more minimal than having just the Jedi, the lightsaber and the Force.

Hmmmmm, and if Jedi are required to have no possessions, might a Jedi master sometimes require that a padawan ceremonially strip and toss everything but the lightsaber into the fire? That has possibilities...... [face_thinking]

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Hmmmmm, and if Jedi are required to have no possessions, might a Jedi master sometimes require that a padawan ceremonially strip and toss everything but the lightsaber into the fire? That has possibilities......

Hmm...that would be a great starting point for us all to write from (like the first sentence challenge) - any objections?

25. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I wonder what you would call the challenge?

- Jedi no-possessions ritual?
    - No-possessions vow affirmation?
    - No-possessions trial
    - Letting go of possessions
    - No possessions at all

In some ways the challenge is the whole story; Obi-Wan is part of a demonstration of the Jedi Code forbidding possessions by discarding everything he has on except his lightsaber. The questions might be:

Where: in the Temple or off planet?
    Who: just Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, or a Jedi group? And do the masters do the same thing? -- it doesn't sound right if the masters don't do the same, but would they go first or last?
    When: is it Obi-Wan's first time, or does has this been done before?
    What: clothes into a fire, or destroyed some other way?
    How: is there a lot of bowing or kneeling or throwing or talking?

Geeeez, that's all I need, another plot bunny. But I can't do anything about this one until after CostumeCon at the end of the month. I'm in the middle of a hoop skirt and then there's lining and trim and a very long hem..... I'm glad I finished my Jedi accessories last month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.