main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, if it was an open challenge, each author could dream up the reason and circumstances as well as the age of the participants and public/private setting - though somehow coming up with any such ceremony outside the Temple would be difficult to explain. In fact, any "witnesses" other than the master/padawan might be difficult to explain, making for an interesting challenge...bunts the ball to some one else.

Edited to add: re-reading the post above one sentence of yours conjures up a most interesting picture...hint: discarding everything but....;)

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Can we add that Obi-Wan must be 16 or older? I suppose we could say that its to keep things TOS, but for this kind of challenge, he's really more interesting if he's older.

I'm sure my costume-making is feeding my Jedi obsession. You can get into the most ridiculous points of far-flung detail just by figuring out what they're wearing.

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Can we add that Obi-Wan must be 16 or older? I suppose we could say that its to keep things TOS, but for this kind of challenge, he's really more interesting if he's older.

Yeeees, more interesting. Er, let's make it 18. 8-}

4. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Come on, LuvEwan - you must have a few more ideas to make this challenge more...interesting. ;)

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Interesting picture indeed;) and some of the ancient parts of the temple I have mentioned in another fic. Has another plotbunny

6. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    OK, minimum age of 18 for Obi-Wan is fine with me.

With them stripping down for a Jedi ritual acknowledging the no-possessions clause in the Jedi Code, I kind of think that this is surely enough, right?

I admit that I never go for the kinds of challenges with too many qualifiers, like "Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon must get naked during a Jedi ritual that acknowledges their vows to have no possessions, where the story takes place at night, with green, orange and purple lighting used somewhere, and someone must be bitten by something anywhere below the neck but above the navel, and the story must use the words 'ladder', 'gooey', 'petrify', 'fragrant' and 'mitosis', and there must be a whistling sound, plus someone has to sing at least one complete sentence an octave above their usual speaking voice, and there must be a spaceship somewhere in flight (because this is Star Wars after all) preferably blowing something up, or getting blown up (author's choice), but it cannot touch the ground, and there must be a hole in a pocket somewhere, excluding anyone's Jedi robe, but it must be important to the plot, and at least one line of the Jedi ritual must rhyme the phase, 'A horse is a horse, of course, of course.' and must be spoken by Qui-Gon with a kleenex stuffed up his left nostril."

I'm not writing that, BTW. I think that simple challenges work best.

7. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I agree, Anne. Can't get too complicated or the stories end up being too similar, I would think.

But thanks for giving away the intricate plot of my next fic! *sniff* Only my fic uses meoisis, not mitosis. So it's totally different!

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, earlybird, I'm not sure you have the same plot bunny in mind that I did [face_blush] . It wasn't what Anne actually said but how it could be taken. :eek:

And I didn't mean overly complicated - I was just thinking of the age issue, "public" place vs in-Temple. etc as relating to TOS - I mean, naked Obi strolling the Senate or something ...shakes head. Naked Jedi and TOS-compliant - tricky, tricky issue.

9. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm very much looking forward to all your...umh interesting...stories.:p
    I have to admit that I don't have so many ideas there:(

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Bumping to say:

You really only need one, er, idea - ah, picture. We're just elaborating on that picture and how to paint it in delicate shades with vividness and clarity - and stay within TOS. You must realize that description by necessity must be abbreviated or minimized, not elaborated upon or detailed.

Only [face_whistling] implied and vivid in the mind.

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, I have ideas, but fitting problems tonight and a 12 foot hem have to come first. People have been working hard to get the boys naked. ;)

12. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Well to be fair, I wouldn't actually call it work. [face_mischief] But it was fun.

And anne, you really don't need to like, sleep do you? If you just forego sleep for a few days we'll all have another naked story to enjoy. I think you're just being selfish. :p

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I've tried lack of sleep. Never works. It even causes writer's block. You can't even write about sleeplessness. So beware. [face_tired]

I did fix the bat wings, but the bra that goes with them needs more work. And there's still that hem....... But I'll be done with all that in less than two weeks. All my other conventions are hall costume affairs, and I'm quite caught up there...... except for maybe that Anakin-style Jedi robe......and I've always wanted to properly re-make my second costume ever...... ANH-Obi-Wan-drag. 'Cause if you wanted to be a Jedi back in the days of the OT, you had to dress up in drag and my hair is light enough for old-Obi-Wan and you can cover up the pony tail with the hood. My first Jedi costume pre-dates everyone in the Jedi Assembly by a couple decades.

EDIT: Well, got through the hem and the structural issues with the bat wings weren't nearly as bad as I thought, but still....... nudity is a bit tricky to work in and still have it seem natural in the story. If you have something ceremonial with a bunch of Jedi, you might get Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the buff, but you also will get some other Jedi naked who you really would rather not imagine without their clothes. But I posted a couple of quickies that have been almost finished on my hard drive for too long.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have the first draft of the picture and doing this the writing is forming.

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/obina1.jpg]

15. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Mmmh, nice picture earlybird-obi-wan[face_whistling]

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I haven't written that ceremonial offing of clothes story yet, but I managed to have Obi undressed in Saga in If Wishes Were Obi's - it was a birthday present for Jedidas3 - I know she enjoyed the unwrapping as much as I enjoyed doing the wrapping. [face_whistling]

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved that story=D==D==D=

And I have written part of it in my Bird talk

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and another part is now in Bird Talk

Bird talk

and today (5th of May liberation day and a holiday for me) I could finish the picture almost (when it's dry I can see if it needs some final touches)

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/obina3.jpg]

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Late May the 4th be with you. Got the big costuming done and it went pretty well last weekend, except that I unintentionally won a Dracula mug that I now have to figure out what to do with. And my tomatoes survived while I was gone. Now to contemplate ceremonial Jedi nudity......

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    have done that and got a M*A*S*H* quotation roulette challenge and Perpetual Picture Perfect challenge included in one fic.

A one shot called Letting go

and I finished the picture but it's still wet (oil paint) and will be scanned tomorrow and updated

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I finally got to posting my 'get naked' fic, Practical Application. I got my costume stuff done, but I still don't write any faster. :rolleyes:

22. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I was just wondering.......what have we done to Obi-Wan? I never live repeating myself too much on fics and I am less inclined to have Obi-Wan fall ill if I see too many sick Obi-Wans on the board, unless the malady is distinctive from the others.

We can list what we've done to Qui-Gon, too. But Obi-Wan does seem to be the preferred and tastier target.

I've seen:

enslaved
    critically ill
    ill with something annoying and humorous
    killed tragically (is there any other way to kill Obi-Wan?)
    memory loss
    drugged
    going to the dark side

I guess you could split up each of these categories with sub-groupings that are unique, too. Does anyone have any favorites?

23. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    You shouldn't have any worries, Anne. You always make your fics incredibly unique. ;)

I'd add to the list

-insane
    -allergic reaction (this could go either humorous or critical)
    -loses the Force

24. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, yes. Loss of use of the Force is a biggie. I missed that one. There are a few other common obi-tortures that I don't recall coming across.....

- blindness
    - deafness
    - paralysis
    - baldness

Though I have shaved all the hair off of Obi-Wan in a fic before.[face_mischief]

25. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Blindness would be the most common of those, by far.

I've not read any that contain those last three, though. What a bizarre writing challenge that would be: make Obi-Wan deaf, paralyzed or bald. :p

I have read a couple where he loses the ability to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.